Insurance renewal subsidence

I have submitted a subsidence claim in November 2018. The loss adjuster stated that subsidence is due to dry summer and trees in the garden and only non structural works are required. The claim is still pending, but the insurer refuses to renew the insurance on the old terms, but removed subsidence cover from the policy. When I asked for reasons, they said that they assess risk and make decision accordingly. Could an insurer really do this? Specially, if they decline to renew before work is completed, I will not be able to get another insurance as well. Please advise.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Whenever you are unhappy with your insurer the route to go down is a formal complaint in line with their complaints procedure

Then if you are not happy with the reply or theu ignore you for 8 weeks you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to you
  • rosierd
    rosierd Posts: 22 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I would speak to your insurer because they are your current insurer they have to continue insuring you and to the same terms so removing subsidence cover goes against that.

However any other insurer is likely to not quote or to cover you minus subsidence cover.
    I work in Insurance (Broker). All views are my own.
  • Lam15
    Lam15 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Thank you for your reply. The insurer is not willing to change their decision. After my second letter, the insurer said that there is another tree in the neighbour's garden, that posses a risk. They said I can send a formal complaint. My view is that if the neighbour's tree possess a risk, the insurer should deal with it in order to stabilise my property (for example root barrier etc or to remove neighbour's tree etc) than stating this as a reason for not renewing my policy on the same terms as that at inception (I have insurance with them for 10 years). Is the insurance company legally obliged to renew the contract on the old terms? I heard many insurers do not have any problem with renewals, but not sure whether this is a legal obligation.
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 June 2019 at 10:06PM
    Your position may be mistaken. Your responsibility is to safeguard your property against the risk of future damage. Your insurer's obligation is to indemnify you against accidental or unforseeable damage that has occured. Presumably the neighbours tree hasn't yet caused damage but will in the future. It is therefore your responsibility to take action, not your insurers job to protect your property.

I would imagine that is why they won't offer renewal including subsidence, and why should they in the circumstances?
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    rosierd wrote: »
    I would speak to your insurer because they are your current insurer they have to continue insuring you and to the same terms so removing subsidence cover goes against that.

However any other insurer is likely to not quote or to cover you minus subsidence cover.
    No they don't have to continue insuring you, that's only for compulsory cover. Insurance policies are annual contracts and the insurers can change the terms according to changing risk and can remove anything that they no longer wish to insure, or bump up the premium if the risk is perceived to have increased.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • rosierd
    rosierd Posts: 22 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    No they don't have to continue insuring you, that's only for compulsory cover. Insurance policies are annual contracts and the insurers can change the terms according to changing risk and can remove anything that they no longer wish to insure, or bump up the premium if the risk is perceived to have increased.

The ABI states they need to continue working with the policyholder and providing said cover however if there is a circumstance where they can't they have to advise you why.
    I work in Insurance (Broker). All views are my own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure