Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WLM21
    • By WLM21 12th Feb 19, 3:25 PM
    • 1,202Posts
    • 358Thanks
    WLM21
    Is it worth getting 8GB RAM on new OnePLus 6T
    • 12th Feb 19, 3:25 PM
    Is it worth getting 8GB RAM on new OnePLus 6T 12th Feb 19 at 3:25 PM
    My current phone has finally packed in, after over 4 years great service (Sony Z3 Compact)

I've been looking at specs. etc and think the Oneplus 6T is my preferred replacement.

However, it comes in two speeds the 6GB RAM and the 8GB RAM, the latter 30 more expensive (John Lewis)

Obviously, the 8GB model is faster, but for normal browsing, texting, emailing etc will the increased speed be really necessary. I don't play games on the phone, well nothing too serious.

What about storage memory too, there's the 128GB and the 256GB models. I don't listen to music and don't download films (even if I actually knew how) so again, is the extra storage really needed or just a gimmick ? When i bought my existing phone I thought the option of extra storage was great, but in the end I never actually used it

thanks !
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Feb 19, 3:41 PM
    • 3,858 Posts
    • 2,153 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 12th Feb 19, 3:41 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 3:41 PM
    Surely you've answered your own questions there? The 8GB RAM won't be faster than the 6GB version by the way unless you're in the habit of using very RAM intensive apps or a lot of apps at the same time.
    • Spelunthus
    • By Spelunthus 12th Feb 19, 3:51 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    Spelunthus
    • 12th Feb 19, 3:51 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 3:51 PM
    A little confusion here. The RAM size will not affect the "speed" of the phone. It permits you to store more programs and data (photos, videos, music...). Unless you have very many apps installed, or store vast numbers of photos, then 6GB will be fine. The "external" storage is just an overflow for even more photos etc - and will depend on how many you want to store.

The only other difference is that the 8GB phone will have slightly poorer battery life (because it has to power more memory).

BTW - you do have a backup for all this stuff, I hope. Every phone, and every memory card, will finally fail, or be lost - and you may lose the contents - so a backup to Cloud storage or similar is essential.

I laughed when a friend told me she had bought a new phone, because the old one was "full" - We backed up and deleted her photos and the phone is not "full" any more - these things need to be better explained by Apple, Google etc..... but they want to sell you a new phone :-).
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Feb 19, 3:59 PM
    • 34,019 Posts
    • 21,469 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 12th Feb 19, 3:59 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 3:59 PM

I laughed when a friend told me she had bought a new phone, because the old one was "full" - We backed up and deleted her photos and the phone is not "full" any more - these things need to be better explained by Apple, Google etc..... but they want to sell you a new phone :-).
    Originally posted by Spelunthus

Thats down to the purchaser to do suitable research
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 12th Feb 19, 4:43 PM
    • 1,659 Posts
    • 1,078 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 12th Feb 19, 4:43 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 4:43 PM
    A little confusion here. The RAM size will not affect the "speed" of the phone. It permits you to store more programs and data (photos, videos, music...). Unless you have very many apps installed, or store vast numbers of photos, then 6GB will be fine. The "external" storage is just an overflow for even more photos etc - and will depend on how many you want to store.
    Originally posted by Spelunthus
    So so wrong. RAM is not used to store data. Data storage is separate memory and will have a lot more capacity than the RAM. RAM is the working memory of the phone. The more you have the more apps you could have running at once before the phone slows down. It is exactly the same in any computer.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 12th Feb 19, 6:30 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,151 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 12th Feb 19, 6:30 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 6:30 PM
    The RAM size will not affect the "speed" of the phone. It permits you to store more programs and data (photos, videos, music.
    complete nonsense. Internal memory is where that stuff is stored not Random Accessed Memory
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

949Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin