Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 176
    • andyuk2005
    • By andyuk2005 25th Jan 19, 8:07 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    andyuk2005
    Delay on EasyJet flight - waited on tarmac so went over 3+ hours
    Hi all,

Quick one here as it may have already been answered (but I can't find it!)

My girlfriend flew from Bologne to London Gatwick on 21st Jan this year (EZY8990). It was delayed coming out of London initially due to fog apparently.

It landed at Gatwick 2 hours 32mins late according to FlightAware. However, it waited on the tarmac for about 45 mins due to staff not being around at Gatwick to receive them. This made it over 3 hours late for them to actually open the doors.

Whilst she won't be able to claim due to the weather (as far as I'm aware) would she be able to claim due to the lack of staff on the ground which pushed it into a 3+ delay?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks
    Andy
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 26th Jan 19, 7:00 AM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    jpsartre
    In short, no. Even if we assume lack of airport at LGW is non-extraordinary circumstances, it would still have to account for a 3 hour delay.
    • andyuk2005
    • By andyuk2005 26th Jan 19, 4:18 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    andyuk2005
    Thanks jpsartre, thats a shame but thanks for your help!
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 26th Jan 19, 6:01 PM
    • 1,649 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Put your flight details into bottonline and euclaim and see what they say.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 27th Jan 19, 3:42 AM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi all,

Quick one here as it may have already been answered (but I can't find it!)

My girlfriend flew from Bologne to London Gatwick on 21st Jan this year (EZY8990). It was delayed coming out of London initially due to fog apparently.

It landed at Gatwick 2 hours 32mins late according to FlightAware. However, it waited on the tarmac for about 45 mins due to staff not being around at Gatwick to receive them. This made it over 3 hours late for them to actually open the doors.

Whilst she won't be able to claim due to the weather (as far as I'm aware) would she be able to claim due to the lack of staff on the ground which pushed it into a 3+ delay?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks
    Andy
    Originally posted by andyuk2005
    Hi Andy,

Don't believe anything Easyjet tell you, they have form in this regard.

Her aircraft seems to have picked up a number of delays earlier in the day.

As advised above, put her details into a flight delay calculator such as this one at Bott& Co...

https://www.bottonline.co.uk/flight-delay-compensation

See if they agree that she has a valid claim.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • WelshBoy77
    • By WelshBoy77 27th Jan 19, 4:53 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    WelshBoy77
    Hello

I would appreciate some guidance and advice regarding reimbursement of expenses from EasyJet.

March 2018: Our flight from Bristol to Venice was cancelled by EasyJet (I booked 6 tickets, 1 for myself and 5 for friends). EasyJet reimbursed the cost of the airfare by the end of March.

My friends booked hotel accommodation for our stay and their travel insurance company did not pay out, this I found out in mid-June 2018.

July 2018 - I contacted EasyJet using their online complaints portal asking to reimburse the cost of the accommodation (€843). Copies of receipts and a cover let were sent via the online portal. In the letter I was not seeking compensation under EC Regulation 261/2004 (cost of flight £320 vs. fixed compensation €1,500 it did not seem fair).

EasyJet replied via email the next day “We have been unable to find your booking” and provided a reference number. I replied a few hours later with full details and included a cover letter.

August 2018 - I emailed EasyJet in early August asking for an update, EasyJet did not respond to this email.

October 2018 – EasyJet replied to my August email “To claim for additional expenses incurred due to disruption, please submit the expense form on the link provided below”.

November 2018 – I followed the link (as I did in July 2018) with copies of the receipts and cover letter. The next day EasyJet emailed “unable to find your booking with the information that you have provided”.

December 2018 – I replied to EasyJet’s email with a letter providing the same information (provided in July 2018) adding that I am claiming for more costs (friend found the receipt) and I will claim compensation for flight cancellation (€250 per person) if EasyJet do not reply within 21 days.

I would be grateful for any advice on what I should do next
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 27th Jan 19, 5:45 PM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    jpsartre
    You posted this already (post 3489) and I responded then. You need to focus on the EU compensation.
    • Chesterlady
    • By Chesterlady 4th Feb 19, 6:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chesterlady
    Stalling
    Hi, since August 2018 I have been in contact over compensation claim after our flight was cancelled from Santorini at midnight on 29th July with no help or info whatsoever. They have agreed the claim is valid and have said it will be paid, has been paid and now after bank statements sent showing otherwise it is now being fast tracked through the finance department.
    They paid the expenses in October but not EU delay comp.

I am ringing on a weekly basis but as you will be aware there is no continuity, any advice ?

I really do not what to give up but I am at a loss
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 4th Feb 19, 6:36 PM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Send them a notice before action and give them 2 weeks to pay. If they don't, file a MCOL (money claim online).
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 4th Feb 19, 7:27 PM
    • 1,649 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Google and download Vaubans guide. Template notice before action letter is on page 6
    • JPears
    • By JPears 5th Feb 19, 7:55 AM
    • 4,588 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    JPears
    Chesterlady - this is typical of EJ, they claim to have made payment and they haven't. Its just another delaying tactic in the hope that you will give up and its one less payment for them.

Appaling behaviour really. Send a letter of complaint to CAA.
    Alternatively, they have totally incompetent staff in the finance department.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • aleen
    • By aleen 12th Feb 19, 1:25 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    aleen
    Back in June 2018 I had an domestic UK flight delayed by more than 3 hours. At the time, I wrote to EasyJet, who came back to say the delay was due to weather :

Our assessment of your claim
    To further explain what happened on the day; adverse weather conditions across Europe and the UK with low visibility, CB and thunderstorm activity caused long delays to flights, as air traffic control substantially restricted airspace near affected areas. Some airports experienced flooding and power failure. Weather forecasts did not predict improvement for an extended period. We do take reasonable measures to avoid delays and cancellations to our flights by having replacement crew and spare aircraft available in our network. However, on this day, there were higher than expected levels of disruption due to adverse weather and air traffic restrictions, which meant that all our replacement crew and spare aircraft had already been deployed.
    Your options now
    We hope this letter clearly explains why we had to delay your flight. Our assessment team have thoroughly investigated all the available information and our decision is final.

They then proceed with giving details for CEDR.

I have since last summer found out about Bott&Co and EU Claim websites, and they both indicate I would be due compensation. Giving my above email from Easyjet, does that mean going to CEDR is my best option now? Are the results on Bott&Co and EuClaims a good indication of the likely outcome? Also do CEDR require a lot of details from me, because stupidly I don’t have a note of the landing time for the flight that day, but I know it was over 3 hours, which I guess EasyJet confirm as well.

Thank you.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 12th Feb 19, 1:39 PM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Are the results on Bott&Co and EuClaims a good indication of the likely outcome?
    Originally posted by aleen

Bott's flight checker I would disregard entirely but EUClaim seems to actually update their database so the fact they tell you there's a potential claim is promising. It's hard to say what the best way forward is but CEDR is a good compromise between handing it over to someone like Bott and going to small claims court. I assume you have reasons to question easyJet's explanation because if things are as they say it's doubtful that you would be due compensation.
    • aleen
    • By aleen 12th Feb 19, 2:24 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    aleen
    Bott's flight checker I would disregard entirely but EUClaim seems to actually update their database so the fact they tell you there's a potential claim is promising. It's hard to say what the best way forward is but CEDR is a good compromise between handing it over to someone like Bott and going to small claims court. I assume you have reasons to question easyJet's explanation because if things are as they say it's doubtful that you would be due compensation.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    I remember that upon landing at the destination it was sunny, clear and roasting. For departure, my memory is pretty shocking, but I found a photo of my parked car at the take off airport, 1 hour before scheduled departure, clear and sunny weather. So no adverse weather in either airports.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 12th Feb 19, 3:56 PM
    • 1,649 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Jpsatre, you really have a downer regarding bott & co just remember if it wasn't for them and the case's they have won against the airlines most people on this site would get nowhere. Are you right in every decision you make or every bit of advice you give?
    • Lalaxbx
    • By Lalaxbx 12th Feb 19, 5:40 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Lalaxbx
    EJ delay over 4hrs
    Hoping someone knowledgeable can help, I've raised a dispute through cedr for a delay and Easyjet has submitted their defence.

Our flight was supposed to depart GLA for BRS at 20.40 but didn't leave until 01.12.
    Easyjets defence relates to all the previous flights for the day with reasons for the delays....

1 BRS-BFS - 29 minute delay with no reason given and an additional 28 minutes for
    code 77 ‘ground handling impaired by adverse weather'.
    2 BFS-BRS - 8minutes for non-extraordinary circumstances and 6 minutes attributable to
    code 89 ‘restrictions at departure airport’
    3 BRS-AMS - 1 hour and 13 minutes attributable to code 81 ‘ATC enroute
    demand/capacity CTOT’ due to adverse weather in AMS
    4 AMS - BRS - 2 hours and 5 minutes attributable to code 32 ‘loading and
    unloading and lack of loading staff’
    5 BRS-GLA - rotational delay of 4 hours and 16 minutes, 10 minutes attributable to code
    89 ‘Restrictions at departure airport’ and minutes for non-extraordinary circumstances
    6 GLA-BRS - knock on delay of 4 hours and 26 minutes as a result of the delays
    suffered by the aircraft on the preceding flights caused by the ATC slot restrictions and
    adverse weather

I'm not sure if I should respond to their defense or if I do what to even put in it. My basic understanding was that knock on effects can't be used as a non exhaustive valid excuse of extraordinary circumstances.
    There was obviously some delays due to weather and I've seen other info that unless it is extreme weather it can't be considered extraordinary either. Similarly I'm not sure if lack of ground crew is considered extraordinary.

Any input on how to proceed would be gratefully received.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 12th Feb 19, 9:24 PM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Lalaxbx,

They are just trying to confuse the issue. Your understanding about knock-on's is correct.

You can put your flight details into a couple of on-line flight delay calculators such as this one at Bott & Co to confirm if the also think you have a valid case....

https://www.bottonline.co.uk/flight-delay-compensation/calculator

You could ask them to refer your case to CEDR who should be able to see through their smoke screen.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • Lalaxbx
    • By Lalaxbx 13th Feb 19, 6:05 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Lalaxbx
    Thanks, the case is already with CEDR and that's the defense Easyjet has submitted for my claim. Just wasn't sure if I should send a response to their reasons or leave it, I have until the 15th Feb to respond. CEDR have already done the initial assessment and say it is within the scope of EU261.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 13th Feb 19, 7:34 AM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Thanks, the case is already with CEDR and that's the defense Easyjet has submitted for my claim. Just wasn't sure if I should send a response to their reasons or leave it, I have until the 15th Feb to respond. CEDR have already done the initial assessment and say it is within the scope of EU261.
    Originally posted by Lalaxbx
    Hi, yes I can see that now, not quite on the ball last night!

You can reply to their defence at CEDR with a rebuttal stating that an accumulation of various knock on delays to other flights during the day does not give them a reason to refuse you compensation.

It is up to the airline to prove that any claimed EC is a genuine EC and how it affected YOUR flight, taking it over the 3 hour threshold.

CEDR understand all of this and should ensure the airline work within the framework of the EC261 regulations. Hopefully they will be able to see through the smoke screen defence.

Good luck.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 13th Feb 19, 7:51 AM
    • 4,588 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    JPears
    Lalaxbx- that cobbled together list just smacks of desperation....
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,136Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin