Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,902Posts
    • 45,671Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 115
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 9th Feb 19, 6:48 PM
    • 1,852 Posts
    • 2,375 Thanks
    bobsa1
    An afternoon of csís and coffee out saw me get an unused large cath kidston mug for £1.99 and a vintage st.michael pinafore type dress for £2. Itís the sort of dress she can wear with a polo neck sweater tights and boots or on its own in warmer weather. Iíd guess it dates from late 70s (if they had st. Michael as a brand then) but apparently ďtotally with goes with her aestheticĒ I have got to say sheís nearly 25 and earns more than I do yet loves a cs bargain. We also got dd age 15 toy story 3 on DVD for £1 as apparently you are never too old for a Disney dvd.

Dd number 2 and I have just gone through a few of my bedroom drawers and weíve got a pile of stuff for eBay and a big bag for the cs
    So Iím trying to donate as well as buy
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Feb 19, 6:30 AM
    • 27,903 Posts
    • 59,419 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    A good day at the chazzer yesterday: 5 books for myself for £2, and a Hello Kitty-branded bodywarmer for my little niece for £1 which she picked out for herself. All of the books were fact were non-fiction titles that I had listed as possibles previously. One (Farmageddon) was co-authored by Isabel Oakeshott whom I'm no fan of, but I reasoned she's already profited from this sale and it was the chazzer that stood to benefit.

Gotta start them young
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Feb 19, 9:04 AM
    • 21,659 Posts
    • 58,590 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Having a long weekend in a city.
    Browsed a few charity shops yesterday after visiting a cold war bunker (English Heritage) and found a navy Austin Reed ladies crombie-style coat.
    80% wool/20% cashmere but very lightweight and hardly worn - one of the 3 flap pockets is still stitched.
    I think it may have been bespoke tailored as the sleeves are a perfect length for me (even Next & M&S petite ranges are usually too long) and the length is good too.
    A bit pricey at £20 but it really is lovely.
    From RSPCA.
    And the lady put it in a lovely carry bag.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 10th Feb 19, 9:27 AM
    • 4,277 Posts
    • 39,755 Thanks
    dolly84
    Having a long weekend in a city.
    Browsed a few charity shops yesterday after visiting a cold war bunker (English Heritage) and found a navy Austin Reed ladies crombie-style coat.
    80% wool/20% cashmere but very lightweight and hardly worn - one of the 3 flap pockets is still stitched.
    I think it may have been bespoke tailored as the sleeves are a perfect length for me (even Next & M&S petite ranges are usually too long) and the length is good too.
    A bit pricey at £20 but it really is lovely.
    From RSPCA.
    And the lady put it in a lovely carry bag.
    Originally posted by Pollycat

I'm totally the other way with sleeves, they hardly reach my wrists then when I start to move about and the fabric crunches up a bit the cuff area is gripped on halfway up my arm - total pain.

Yesterday I got a few bits, I didn't want to go out as I knew I would end up coming home with more stuff but DD and DH wanted me to go with them.

I got a George chiffon dress in black with a black underlayer so it isn't see through, it has taupe flowers on it and is a tea dress style, fitted at the top, floaty cap sleeves, 3 small self covered buttons at the top and a tie to the back, it looks beautiful on - £3.99. BNWT pair of cabin socks with fluffy fleece lining £2.49, an Asics Motionprotect running jacket in fluro yellow with tiny reflective triangles all over, 2 zip side pockets for keys and gloves etc £3.99 and a H&M grey slouchy jumper in very soft fabric, feels like cashmere but isn't 99p.

I saw two gorgeous pure cashmere cardigans, one was pale grey, v neck style, it was a size 16 and I'm a 12, I tried it on but the sleeves were way too short even at 2 sizes too big, it was only £3 and had no moth holes and was so soft, the other was cream with gold metallic thread and looked new, it was a 16 too and a slightly different style which I deemed too frumpy - again just £3.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • Towser
    • By Towser 10th Feb 19, 5:38 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 2,222 Thanks
    Towser
    I got my fix again.
    Today: Tip Re-use shop. Open everyday of the week so I can go daily. It's got rapid stock change. If something doesn't sell it get's tipped.

Photograph album leather 50p incredible. BNIB

Very Happy, every little helps. I cannot afford not, to shop here. There is everything in life, you may need, if it turns up all, well and good.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 11th Feb 19, 3:44 PM
    • 5,867 Posts
    • 25,466 Thanks
    Mirů
    Needed some fresh air so a trip to the Community Charity shop produced a pair of straight legged, dark denim Portfolio jeans. Nice fit and soft but structured denim...half price at £1.75.

Having a 'mare staying logged in to MSE at the mo...anyone else having probs? I never log out usually but each time I open the site now I now have to log in and my username and log in details are rejected when I know they are correct. So I have to go thro the 'forgotten your password' procedure and reset my password which works once. Then the next time I try to open MSE it all starts again Caught in a timewarp loop and no idea wot to do! Tis the same on iPad, iPhone and desktop, (using Safari)..... have to go through that procedure every time to get user privileges PITB
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • Towser
    • By Towser 11th Feb 19, 5:33 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 2,222 Thanks
    Towser
    I got my fix again.
    Today:
    Oxfam leather belt 2.99, Manicure set £4.99
    Cancer black tie £4, Karrimor Fleece £6
    Hospice T-shirt £5, Dog ball £2

Didn't have time to go to Tip Re-use shop but there is always tomorrow.
    • MiroMark2
    • By MiroMark2 12th Feb 19, 4:00 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    MiroMark2
    Had to create a new identity in order to stay logged in otherwise I have to reset my password every time I want to log in to the site. PITB grrrrrr!

Anyhoo... In the 99p St Gemma's Hospice shop in Otley today I found a cream & wine windowpane checked with pointy hem, linen skirt by Next, a Next black Dr Zhivago stylee cardi with a frogging fastening down the front and on the sleeves, and a BNWT Primark sweater in a wine shade with a jewelled neck. Decent quality and the Primark price tag was £11!!! How on earth do they make stuff for that sort of price? (Suspect I know and it's an uncomfortable thought)
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Feb 19, 4:04 PM
    • 27,903 Posts
    • 59,419 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Had to create a new identity in order to stay logged in otherwise I have to reset my password every time I want to log in to the site. PITB grrrrrr!
    Originally posted by MiroMark2
    Miro is that you?!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • MiroMark2
    • By MiroMark2 12th Feb 19, 4:56 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    MiroMark2
    Miro is that you?!
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

*sobs* Yes unfortunately!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 12th Feb 19, 5:09 PM
    • 4,277 Posts
    • 39,755 Thanks
    dolly84
    Miro - I haven't had any problems, hopefully that will be the end of it for you now.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • Towser
    • By Towser 12th Feb 19, 10:06 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 2,222 Thanks
    Towser
    I got my fix again.
    Today:
    Cancer £4 Leather belt
    Hospice £3 RJR Cap
    Hospice outlet £ 2 Shirt
    Blue Cross £3.95 Linen John Lewis shirt - bargain very nice item
    Tip Re-use shop 10p tennis ball
    • SophieLoui23
    • By SophieLoui23 12th Feb 19, 11:19 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    SophieLoui23
    Miro, thatís Ted Baker coat sounded like an incredible find. Shame it didnít fit you... sounds perfect and the right size for me! Bet it will have gone by now mind...
    • MiroMark2
    • By MiroMark2 13th Feb 19, 11:20 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    MiroMark2
    Miro, thatís Ted Baker coat sounded like an incredible find. Shame it didnít fit you... sounds perfect and the right size for me! Bet it will have gone by now mind...
    Originally posted by SophieLoui23
    Nope, it was still there yesterday! Martin House Hospice shop- Headingley. It is soooo teeny tiny, that's the problem I think.
    • Towser
    • By Towser 13th Feb 19, 4:30 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 2,222 Thanks
    Towser
    I got my fix again.
    Today: Tip Re-use shop.
    Huge ceramic plant pot and Peppa Pig book £2
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Feb 19, 5:20 PM
    • 8,786 Posts
    • 28,381 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    <finds herself checking thread to see if Miro's OK - for a given value of username, yes & finding myself awed at all your finds!>
    • MiroMark2
    • By MiroMark2 13th Feb 19, 5:26 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    MiroMark2
    Originally posted by SophieLoui23
    Nope, it was still there yesterday! Martin House Hospice shop- Headingley. It is soooo teeny tiny, that's the problem I think.
    Originally posted by MiroMark2

Update: Checked this afty and it's gone
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 13th Feb 19, 8:32 PM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 9,017 Thanks
    kboss2010
    I popped into my local c/s on a whim & managed to get a barely used small Radley handbag for £12.50!!!
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • SophieLoui23
    • By SophieLoui23 13th Feb 19, 8:47 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    SophieLoui23
    Thatís a shame but Iíll be keeping an eye out for designer finds from now on!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 14th Feb 19, 11:34 AM
    • 8,786 Posts
    • 28,381 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Not a cs win, but in a clearing out at work, an A3 guillotine was surplus to requirements & I persuaded those in charge to make a donation to scouts as cutting letters for distribution is one if those Forth Bridge tasks & the right tool will encourage our Young Leaders no end!
    Blinking heavy...
    Foresee new line in risk assessment - use on flat surface, do not drop on foot!
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 14-02-2019 at 1:35 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,719Posts Today

8,675Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right back to self imposed twitter exile until Thur - trying to be off work (not v successfully)

• Too painful to talk about. That result really was offsensive. For rancid cheese & onion to beat powerful salt & v? https://t.co/FJchchPk0o

• If you think this hypothetical's bad, here's some of my past polls - Which past PM would u resurrect to aid politi? https://t.co/N61QGBOJ6b

• Follow Martin