Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • niresearcher
    • By niresearcher 12th Feb 19, 12:46 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    niresearcher
    An Irish Family Post-Brexit in Northern Ireland
    • 12th Feb 19, 12:46 PM
    An Irish Family Post-Brexit in Northern Ireland 12th Feb 19 at 12:46 PM
    OK, so I guess none of us really know what the fall-out from Brexit will be if it does happen, I want to be prepared as much as possible for the potential problems.

I am born and bred in Northern Ireland, I have a British passport. My partner (not married - yet!) is born and bred in Ireland, she is an Irish passport holder. We have a 17 month old son, born in Ireland with no records in the UK. My partner has no records in the UK.

I have bought a house in Northern Ireland, and we move in together as a family in mid-March i.e. my partner is permanently relocating to Northern Ireland with my son.

I am seeking advice on how best to establish an identity and paper trail for my partner and son in the UK. Our plan as a family is that we will be a single income household with my partner and son as my two dependants.

I want to get my partner set-up with a bank account or credit union account in the UK and in time, I want to add her to the deeds of the property etc. She can qualify for a British passport I believe as her own mother was born in London to English parents (i.e. her maternal side is all English) but I'm really not sure how to go about everything to make both her and my son legally eligible to remain in the UK. Is a quick marriage the only solution?

Help!
Page 1
    • Rasha
    • By Rasha 12th Feb 19, 2:16 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Rasha
    • 12th Feb 19, 2:16 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 2:16 PM
    Hey,

I appreciate that you're worried, but please try to sit back and relax...open a tab on your browser, google Irish citizens in the UK, or read up about CTA, or preferably look at the gov.uk website which should take all your anxiety away.

Sorry, can't post links yet as I only registered to post this for you.

Obviously when they arrive you should get her an appointment for an NI number, once you have proof of address for them, register them with a GP etc.

Wish you guys all the best!
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 12th Feb 19, 2:21 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 1,551 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    • 12th Feb 19, 2:21 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 2:21 PM
    No need to panic - Irish citizens are not treated as Foreign in the UK, and not just because of the EU. An Irish citizen has a right to remain in the UK regardless of Brexit

Both your partner and child are entitled to British citizenship, and you don't need a passport to be a citizen, so no need to apply for the British passports unless you want too.

There will be no issue living in NI with Irish passports (Political nightmare if they tried to stop it!)
    • Rasha
    • By Rasha 12th Feb 19, 2:30 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Rasha
    • 12th Feb 19, 2:30 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 2:30 PM
    Exactly as Tammykitty wrote it down for you!

Sorry, I should have wrote the same but was trying to reassure you as quickly as I could.
    • engineer amy
    • By engineer amy 12th Feb 19, 3:44 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 1,214 Thanks
    engineer amy
    • 12th Feb 19, 3:44 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 3:44 PM
    Have a read through this.

https://ec.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/services/your-rights/Brexit_en

there are many scenarios laid out, one may fit your situation to give you some comfort. But all state that EU citizens will not be kicked out of the UK after brexit happens

And as Tammykitty says, Ireland and UK have a special bond lol. The GFA gives us Norn Iron'ers some dual rights!
    Mortgage = 113,495 (May 2009) 68601.81 Jan 2019
    Halifax CC 0% = 0!!! Car Loan = 0!!!!!
    PAYDBX16 #106 = 12377/12377 (100%)
    • niresearcher
    • By niresearcher 12th Feb 19, 3:54 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    niresearcher
    • 12th Feb 19, 3:54 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 3:54 PM
    Thanks everyone for the replies, much appreciated.

I think my main concern is that there is no record of them in the UK yet until the move mid-March so I assume at that I'll just get the ball rolling at that point which is around two weeks before the proposed Brexit date.

@Rasha "Obviously when they arrive you should get her an appointment for an NI number, once you have proof of address for them, register them with a GP etc."

- I will look to register them with my own local GP practice. I'm not sure who to set up an appointment with re a National Insurance number?

- Also re proof of address, does anyone have any tips in this regard - it's a new build property with everything in my name re mortgage, deeds etc so with no utility bills or the like in her name, how do I go about proving that my partner will be living at the property?
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Feb 19, 4:07 PM
    • 5,888 Posts
    • 27,849 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 12th Feb 19, 4:07 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 4:07 PM

- Also re proof of address, does anyone have any tips in this regard - it's a new build property with everything in my name re mortgage, deeds etc so with no utility bills or the like in her name, how do I go about proving that my partner will be living at the property?
    Originally posted by niresearcher

Get her registered on the electoral roll asap?

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
    • Rasha
    • By Rasha 12th Feb 19, 4:13 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Rasha
    • 12th Feb 19, 4:13 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 4:13 PM
    The exact date of their arrival is not a big issue as you could see from the other poster's more detailed replies.

Once they are here you can just put her name on your utility bills by calling the companies, shouldn't be a big problem. You might or might not need them to give their consent to be added through the phone.

If it works the same way in NI as here in England they will need their passport and proof of address to be able to register with a GP. Just ask the receptionist what exactly will you need.
    Re NI number, as far as I remember she will physically need to be in the UK in order to book an appointment for it. Doesn't really want to post anything stupid or untrue so in case I'm mistaken, it's better if you make your own research about it.
    You will also need to provide her NI number and yours in case you wish to apply for child benefit later down the line. (Not sure if it's any different you being obviously a UK citizen.)

Sorry, can't really check for any mistakes either spelling or information as it's a real pain replying from my phone.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 12th Feb 19, 6:08 PM
    • 4,266 Posts
    • 11,345 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 12th Feb 19, 6:08 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 6:08 PM
    When my goddaughter moved to the UK we prioritised the NI number. This, in conjunction with swapping her Aussie driving licence, was enough proof of address for both the GP and opening a bank account.
    • *max*
    • By *max* 13th Feb 19, 12:34 AM
    • 2,871 Posts
    • 13,522 Thanks
    *max*
    I have lived and worked in the UK for over 17 years, I have an NI number of course. I just happen to have been born in France. So I wouldn't put any weight on the "having an NI number is all you need" thing. Nobody knows what's gonna happen. Even the people who are supposed to make it happen don't.
    • engineer amy
    • By engineer amy 13th Feb 19, 7:53 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 1,214 Thanks
    engineer amy
    For the NI number, contact a local jobs and benefits office. They will set up an appointment for when your partner is in the country. From setting up appointments for this for some of our employees, it is a relatively quick and painless process - just appear at the appointment with ID and the docs they require, answer a few questions about why you need the NI number and sign a form. They should provide the number there and then at the end of the interview.
    Mortgage = 113,495 (May 2009) 68601.81 Jan 2019
    Halifax CC 0% = 0!!! Car Loan = 0!!!!!
    PAYDBX16 #106 = 12377/12377 (100%)
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 13th Feb 19, 8:42 AM
    • 5,457 Posts
    • 12,394 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I have lived and worked in the UK for over 17 years, I have an NI number of course. I just happen to have been born in France. So I wouldn't put any weight on the "having an NI number is all you need" thing. Nobody knows what's gonna happen. Even the people who are supposed to make it happen don't.
    Originally posted by *max*
    But for an Irish citizen we do, as there are agreements in place between the UK and Ireland that are independent of EU membership and won't be changed if / when we leave.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek. Home is where my books are.

5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

97Posts Today

968Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin