Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 12th Feb 19, 9:18 AM
    • 2,569Posts
    • 3,028Thanks
    Froglet
    Windows 10 computer.Now old printer won't work.Ideas?
    • 12th Feb 19, 9:18 AM
    Windows 10 computer.Now old printer won't work.Ideas? 12th Feb 19 at 9:18 AM
    Just got a ,previously used,windows 10 computer.It looks like my faithful Lexmark printer Z735,which only has one cartridge and is just a printer ,doesn't have drivers for it that i can search for.Is there any way round it,or do i just give up and get a new one ?I see the new ones are all in one printers,which i don't really need,again,any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Page 1
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 12th Feb 19, 9:37 AM
    • 3,925 Posts
    • 1,876 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 12th Feb 19, 9:37 AM
    • 12th Feb 19, 9:37 AM
    Slim chance - try Vista64bit driver here
    http://www.siliconguide.com/drivers/device/226/
    Connect printer to computer with USB lead when requested.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 12th Feb 19, 10:43 AM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    • 12th Feb 19, 10:43 AM
    • 12th Feb 19, 10:43 AM
    Thanks,but it didn't work.I went on to the Microsoft,and Lexmark sites but whatever I found out and tried didn't work and it does state that there is no support any longer for my obviously now antique,printer!

Such a shame,but there it is ,progress.My old windows 7 was nearly grinding to a halt so I had to do something.Now I need to find a more modern printer but it does look as if they all come with more facilities and more expensive ink!
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 12th Feb 19, 11:18 AM
    • 2,595 Posts
    • 2,233 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 12th Feb 19, 11:18 AM
    • 12th Feb 19, 11:18 AM
    Quite a lot of older printers work on Windows 10 even if there are no specific drivers produced. I have a 12 year old HP Laser printer and this works by using whatever the default HP driver is. It picked it up when originally plugged in via USB.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 12th Feb 19, 12:36 PM
    • 1,613 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 12th Feb 19, 12:36 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 12:36 PM
    Just got a ,previously used,windows 10 computer.It looks like my faithful Lexmark printer Z735,which only has one cartridge and is just a printer ,doesn't have drivers for it that i can search for.Is there any way round it,or do i just give up and get a new one ?I see the new ones are all in one printers,which i don't really need,again,any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Originally posted by Froglet
    Plug it in and see if it works with the drivers built into Windows. You might not need any specific ones.
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 12th Feb 19, 1:56 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    • 12th Feb 19, 1:56 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 1:56 PM
    Thanks,but I have tried that.Even the computer expert who swapped over my old Windows 7 computer to this modern,Windows 10 one tried,and advised I needed a new one.I decided to try all I could think of but it's not looking good when Lexmark's own site states there is no driver for the series 730.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 12th Feb 19, 2:04 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    cranford
    • 12th Feb 19, 2:04 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 2:04 PM
    Very last chance you could try windows compatibility mode on the driver. See
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-non-compatible-printer-drivers-windows-10
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 12th Feb 19, 2:07 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    • 12th Feb 19, 2:07 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 2:07 PM
    Thanks,I'll try that later when I'm back on the computer.I'm not giving up until I have to !
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 12th Feb 19, 3:49 PM
    • 3,931 Posts
    • 3,515 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 12th Feb 19, 3:49 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 3:49 PM
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-non-compatible-printer-drivers-windows-10
    Originally posted by cranford
    Yes, that may well work. I had to do that to install an older small Canon Selphy Printer in W10. Just like your Lexmark, Canon would suggest it is not possible but it works absolutely fine!
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 12th Feb 19, 3:54 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    I have looked at Lexmark website but find it confusing and am not sure how to find the right driver to download.So far I have tried through some promising websites but avg anti virus keeps stopping any attempt.
    • rdr
    • By rdr 12th Feb 19, 4:30 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    rdr
    Originally posted by cranford
    Worker for me on my Canon MP610, funny that canon didn't mention the posibility and wanted to sell me a new printer.
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 12th Feb 19, 5:09 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    When I search for the driver it just comes up with not supported.So I am about on the point of giving up.It really is a pretty old model,I think I have to accept it.I got into the realms of some websites promising a fix but they wanted money for it! Suspicious anyway.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Feb 19, 6:03 PM
    • 33,581 Posts
    • 21,140 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I have looked at Lexmark website but find it confusing and am not sure how to find the right driver to download.So far I have tried through some promising websites but avg anti virus keeps stopping any attempt.

While your at it I would get rid of avg and install Microsoft security essentials (or known commonly as MSE)
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 12th Feb 19, 6:25 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    emptybox
    While your at it I would get rid of avg and install Microsoft security essentials (or known commonly as MSE)
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    You don't want Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 10.
    The built in Windows Defender is sufficient.
    MSE is for Windows 7 and below.

To the OP If your printer worked on Windows 7 I don't see why it wouldn't work on 10 (unless 7 was the 32 bit version and 10 64 bit).

If you still have the Windows 7 PC and it's working, you could back up the drivers on it and transfer them to a folder on the 10 PC, and try pointing the Driver wizard in Device Manager towards that folder, and see if that helps (obviously with printer connected).

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/68426-backup-restore-device-drivers-windows-10-a.html
    (same commands work in Win 7)
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 12th Feb 19, 8:22 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    When i changed to windows 7 on my old computer from XP i did download a driver and got the printer working.That was 5 years ago.Yesterday i had a (new to me) but hubby's old one of 1 year,brought back to me by a computer expert who has transferred all the information from my old one to this windows 10.Sadly no i don't have the old one,just the hard drive to be broken up.Thanks anyway.
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 12th Feb 19, 8:25 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    The computer wizard who had just transferred my info from my old computer to a new windows 10 put AVG on it as he reckons it's one of the best.Thanks though
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 12th Feb 19, 8:35 PM
    • 3,925 Posts
    • 1,876 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Off topic but I don't think there's much between AVG (free!) And Microsoft.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Feb 19, 9:22 PM
    • 6,232 Posts
    • 6,083 Thanks
    DoaM
    Except for the lower system resources usage, lesser nagging, and equally-effective protection offered by MS Defender versus AVG?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • that
    • By that 12th Feb 19, 10:11 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    that
    unsure if it will work, but you possibly could try VirtualPC, install windows 7 in it, share the printer, the use your windows 10 to print to the shared printer?
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 13th Feb 19, 12:04 AM
    • 424 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    emptybox
    When i changed to windows 7 on my old computer from XP i did download a driver and got the printer working.That was 5 years ago.Yesterday i had a (new to me) but hubby's old one of 1 year,brought back to me by a computer expert who has transferred all the information from my old one to this windows 10.Sadly no i don't have the old one,just the hard drive to be broken up.Thanks anyway.
    It was probably the Vista driver that you got to work in Windows 7.
    But if you've already tried that without success, then you might be out of luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,500Posts Today

8,564Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Too painful to talk about. That result really was offsensive. For rancid cheese & onion to beat powerful salt & v? https://t.co/FJchchPk0o

• If you think this hypothetical's bad, here's some of my past polls - Which past PM would u resurrect to aid politi? https://t.co/N61QGBOJ6b

• A warning to every UK worked aged over 21, you're about to get a payrise, but it'll cost you... https://t.co/chSlYRRdpK

• Follow Martin