Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 12th Feb 19, 10:37 AM
    • 1,431Posts
    • 1,634Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Raised bed sowing
    • 12th Feb 19, 10:37 AM
    Raised bed sowing 12th Feb 19 at 10:37 AM
    I've built some raised beds this year for the 1st time ever, having used traditional beds before and want to grow the same crops.

Noting that crops can be sown closer together in raised beds, I have placed onion sets in a grid system but wondered how I should sow seeds such as carrots that are traditionally sowed in rows?

Should I still sow them in rows but closer together and thin out if necessary?

How about leeks? Is it better to plant in cells and then transplant into the beds in a grid arrangement?
Page 1
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 12th Feb 19, 10:46 AM
    • 507 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    unrecordings
    • 12th Feb 19, 10:46 AM
    • 12th Feb 19, 10:46 AM
    I tend to stick with rows/grids as it's easier to water efficiently (and looks neater)
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 12th Feb 19, 11:00 AM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 12th Feb 19, 11:00 AM
    • 12th Feb 19, 11:00 AM
    I tend to stick with rows/grids as it's easier to water efficiently (and looks neater)
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    How do you grow small seeds such as carrots in grids though? Do you just pop a single one in a hole?
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 12th Feb 19, 11:05 AM
    • 30,404 Posts
    • 78,024 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 12th Feb 19, 11:05 AM
    • 12th Feb 19, 11:05 AM
    I've built some raised beds this year for the 1st time ever, having used traditional beds before and want to grow the same crops.

Noting that crops can be sown closer together in raised beds, I have placed onion sets in a grid system but wondered how I should sow seeds such as carrots that are traditionally sowed in rows?

Should I still sow them in rows but closer together and thin out if necessary?
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    Think about how you're going to weed between the carrots - it's easier to have them in rows.

As well as a simple grid pattern, with crops like onions and beets you can plant three or four at each station and leave a bit more space between them to facilitate weeding.

Do you know the trick with carrot sowing to add some radish seeds to the row - the radishes come up faster than the carrots and mark the rows so that you can safely weed between them before the carrots are showing?

Raised beds do lend themselves to a stale seed bed system and it's also useful to mulch heavily to keep the weeds down.
    Last edited by Mojisola; 12-02-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 12th Feb 19, 12:29 PM
    • 9,344 Posts
    • 10,705 Thanks
    -taff
    • 12th Feb 19, 12:29 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 12:29 PM
    You could take a look at square foot gardening too.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 12th Feb 19, 12:56 PM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 12th Feb 19, 12:56 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 12:56 PM
    I'm aware of the radish trick, except I've never had much luck with Radishes - they always seem to go really woody.

I'm also aware of the square foot bed method but again, my question is "how do you actually sow the seeds".

With most seeds, they are big enough to sow individually either in cells and then transplant or directly into the ground. Carrot seeds are much finer though and can't be easily transplanted (am I right on this?) which is why I was asking if the only way of sowing them is by scattering them, either by broadcast sowing or in rows?
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 12th Feb 19, 1:01 PM
    • 30,404 Posts
    • 78,024 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 12th Feb 19, 1:01 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 1:01 PM
    I'm aware of the radish trick, except I've never had much luck with Radishes - they always seem to go really woody.

Harvest them before they go like that.

Carrot seeds are much finer though and can't be easily transplanted (am I right on this?) which is why I was asking if the only way of sowing them is by scattering them, either by broadcast sowing or in rows?
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    You're right - carrot seeds need to be sown directly.

If you broadcast sow, weeding with be a nightmare - you'll probably end up pulling up young carrot seedlings with the weeds.

Sow in rows so that you can weed between the rows.

It could be worth trying a wider row of carrot seeds but that does mean you have to do more hand weeding of individual weeds within the rows.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 12th Feb 19, 1:28 PM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 12th Feb 19, 1:28 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 1:28 PM
    Thanks for your input, everyone - it's made it a bit clearer.

It's raised another question about square foot gardening. Can anyone suggest a year round plan at all? ie. - Sow xxx in March/harvest in June then replace with yyy to harvest in Sept then replace with zzz to go through the winter etc. etc?

I'm also dying to try straw bale gardening this year
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 12th Feb 19, 1:45 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    Thrice
    • 12th Feb 19, 1:45 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 1:45 PM
    I bought a DK book called All you can grow in 1sqm (or similar, I'm not at home to check!). That has been very helpful, they give lots of suggestions as to what to grow when, what grows well together, and how to plant more than one crop per year.

I watched a YouTube channel last night, something like Self Sufficient Me. Australian guy that grows in round raised planters. He grew carrots in one and just used his finger to do a swirl from the centre towards the outside of the container, and put the seeds directly into the soil then flattened the swirl rows in on top. If you can search YouTube you'll find it. Seemed really helpful x
    SPC010 43.19
    2019 1% = 25. 0% so far
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 12th Feb 19, 1:48 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    Thrice
    All you can eat in 3 square feet, it won't let me edit my post above x
    SPC010 43.19
    2019 1% = 25. 0% so far
    • -taff
    • By -taff 12th Feb 19, 4:08 PM
    • 9,344 Posts
    • 10,705 Thanks
    -taff
    Have a look in the library or google for succession sowing. Any good veg book will give you ideas for that.
    If you were worried about actually sowing the seeds, probably easier with carrots to sow in a row, for the weeding, plus, as they grow, if you find too many growing together you can thin them and eat them. If you cant remember where you've sown them, a line of sand on them or to the side of them will show you [not builders or sharp sand though, too salty]
    Or lay a small length of bamboo or similar.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,500Posts Today

8,564Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Too painful to talk about. That result really was offsensive. For rancid cheese & onion to beat powerful salt & v? https://t.co/FJchchPk0o

• If you think this hypothetical's bad, here's some of my past polls - Which past PM would u resurrect to aid politi? https://t.co/N61QGBOJ6b

• A warning to every UK worked aged over 21, you're about to get a payrise, but it'll cost you... https://t.co/chSlYRRdpK

• Follow Martin