PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Previous landlord wants to reclaim costs from years ago

Options
Hello

We had previously rented a place for a couple of years, moving out of it in August 2016. This was due to moving to a different city rather than anything wrong with the house or landlord. Shortly after moving out we realised in our haste and the general stress of moving that we had accidentally taken a couple of cheap pillows and a draining rack that were part of the property. We offered to send the items back to the landlord or compensate her for them, but after some discussion with her about it she said not to worry about it as we had been good tenants. Our deposit was subsequently returned in full from the deposit agency in September 2016.

That was the end of the matter or so we thought, but flash forward nearly 2 years, we received a text from her yesterday out of the blue stating that she wants £50 as compensation for the items.

At the time we were quite happy to offer her something for them or to send them back to her. But after her telling us it was okay, we are very surprised that she has brought this up nearly 2 years later. We were wondering where we stand legally / what people think we should do?

Comments

• need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does she have any other contact details for you other than the mobile phone number?

new address?

Linked to social media accounts?

Have you answered or acknowledged the text?

I would say given the time lapse its time to forget the "debt"

Surely it would cost her more to chase than she would receive.

Block the number.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have evidence of the 'not to worry about it' theres not much she can do. If you dont it would be a case of proving it either way, seeing as shes already given you the deposit money back she accepted at one stage the property was fine. So id be inclined to think shes got no chance of being legally entitled to that money.

Shes chancing. But then she also sounds desperate. I think most people even if they had forgotten the conversation would write it off.

You could have some fun with it. Itemise the costs, pillows and a drainer dont usually cost £50. Second hand pillow and a drainer that you had for however many years and then took with you for 2 years will have little to no value.

Id just ignore the text.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    £50? You can get 2 pillows for a fiver in Asda and a drainer for less than that. Sounds like she's strapped for cash and chancing it, I'd just block her number.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    Just ignore.

Shame she!!!8217;s so desperate for £50 though, she must be in dire straits.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't reply
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    First word: Jog
    Second word: On
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 June 2018 at 11:35AM
    Options
    She's not even allowed for the usual wear and tear. If I was feeling particularly sarky I'd send a cheque for £1.26 or something to cover her going out to buy more. They're not even things you'd buy second hand so utterly worthless.

I'd 95% ignore it. The devil in me might want to play though...
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Debts can be claimed for up to 7 years.

But £50? For 2 pilows + drainer?

After this long?

As said above
    * her return of the full deposit is implicit evidence that there was no outstanding debt, hence she has a very dodgy case to prove
    * if you have evidence (letter, email etc) of the agreement to forget these items, she has no case
    * to bring a case against you woud ccost far in excess of £50 witth minmanl guarantee of success, and risk of your countr-claim for costs. She's never go to court

Ignore completely.
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    £50 - no chance!

I would potentially passive aggressively get two old pillows and an old drainer at the nearest charity shop and send them her way to settle the debt. I'm sure she'll be delighted.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just ignore.
    she must be in dire straits.
    Well, they did record 'Money for Nothing' :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing