Moving to universal credit full service area dual liability

Mildmanneredman
Mildmanneredman Posts: 46 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 17 June 2018 at 5:19PM in Benefits & tax credits
WHello,

Sadly leaving current property as landlord sold up. Was very difficult to find anywhwere so have eneded up with a crossover period. Tenancy will start this coming wednesday, but won't be able to move all possesions until sunday and handover keys next monday morning.

Currently claim jsa and live alone..will be moving in with partner so would no longer have been entitled jsa anyway as partner works full time.

Before UC I would have just claimed dual liability for housing benefit but as i will be moving to a universal credit area I'm not sure what is the best thing to do..We will have to make a joint universal credit claim so do I need to sign off jsa and ask the council to end my housing benefit claim from the sunday..how then can I claim the housing part of universal credit from the wednesday if I am still claiming housing benefit at the other place and cant start my universal credit joint claim until i actuually move in on the sunday..seriously confused..tempted to just try and clear out on the wednesday bur would be a lot easier on the sunday...

Thanks

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Don't worry about housing benefit crossover, as councils may allow 14 day period for overlap.

Just get your UC claim started from the relevant date, probably best to start from Wednesday when the tenancy starts. Both you and your partner would need to complete a UC claim and there will be a linking code on the first claim, which the other partner will type in for their claim, so you then have a couple claim.

Just include the housing on both of your claims, if it is a joint tenancy. If it is a private landlord, rather than housing association or council, at the first job centre appointment, you will have to take in a tenancy agreement, as well as any proof of rent/deposit paid. You would also take in bank statement/bank card details for account you want UC paid into. Housing association/council tenancy verification is sorted out directly between UC and the Housing association/council, after you have supplied the details.

Once you have UC claims started, just inform the council and job centre re JSA.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Mildmanneredman
    Mildmanneredman Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 June 2018 at 5:53PM
    YoThanks for that. So I dont actually end my jsa claim before submitting the universal credit claim?My JSA signing day is on wednesday as well just to top it off..Also wont universal credit see I have an active housing benefit claim and wont that interfere wiith my UC, the worry is making me think I should just end my JSA and HB with mmediate effect.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 June 2018 at 8:02PM
    No don't end your JSA claim, as that is paid in arrears.

Just sign on as normal on Weds, then both you and partner go online Gov.uk to start a UC claim on Weds including your housing.

Tell the Job Centre Work Coach on Weds of your change of circumstances and that you will be going online later to claim UC instead. They will ask you to let them know once you have started your UC claim, when they will close the JSA claim. You also then need to advise council housing benefit.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Ok, I will do that then. Thanks a lot for your help. Feel less worried now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure