What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2nd October?

Options

Comments

• baggybreeches
    Options
    Morning all!
    Sorry to hear of your loss uphill struggler, last week was a pretty awful week for a few of my friends which left me feeling pretty low so be kind to yourself.
    I haven't got any purchases planned this week so it will be more eBaying for me (yesterday saw a Hornby Toy & a spare microwave sold for a combined total of £40).
    We are without a kitchen now as our new kitchen arrives in two weeks but we need to do some prep work first so it's going be challenging but I have the slow cooker as well as my proper cooker so there's no excuse really. Also washing up by hand (which means we are being frugal with the dishes and cups used!) in an outside sink.
    I am on leftovers for lunch today and have enough to see me through most of the week as well a anything that is leftover from today's chilli :-)
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,113 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello Monday Money Savers,
    Useful, busy morning, but as last week was so stressful & much of it is still ongoing with funeral arrangements, legal stuff, etc, I've decided that I'm going to have an afternoon off. Going to make a cafetiere, get my knitting out & watch 'Cold Feet'. Such a simple thing, but really looking forward to just doing something for myself. Anyway, onto today's bits of money saving:
    *Did laundry on timer overnight on cheap tariff. Half the cost of our daytime electricity tariff.
    *Arranged clean laundry on heated airer for th grand total of about 8 mins when I noticed how blowy it is outside today, so I whipped it all back off into the basket & pegged it outside instead. I think our heated airer is less than 5p an hour to run, but pegging out on the whirlygig is zero p an hour so I will continue doing this while I can.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *My Big Budget Day today. Reconciled September's budget & set October's. Looks tight but doable. Was able to pay the Savings Piggies & Emergency Fund and had already committed the spends on a few presents we bought on yesterday's city centre trip. Paid one CC in full. Unable to pay the other one in full, as I usually would because of my expensive new glasses, but I certainly won't be making minimum payments either. I paid off a good sized chunk of it today & will do the same over the next 2 or 3 months.
    *Did some surveys.
    *Paid another 50p into my sealed pot. mr f nearly opened his while I was away at my Mum's last week!!!! I think guilt got the better of him & he put it back in his wardrobe & 'fessed up when I got home.
    *Priced up vodka. I need to start off this year's blackberry & apple vodka this week. Last year's was lovely. Best price seems to be a litre bottle from Aldi. I will be giving a couple of small pretty bottle of this as Christmas gifts.
    *Make apple sauce for the freezer- I will do this before my coffee & TV afternoon. We didn't get a big apple crop this year, as the tree produced sooooooo many last year, I think it's having a year off, so I don't want to waste the nice fruits that we did get. (Still knee-deep in pears).
    *Noticed that mr f's CC statement is detailing a lot of loyalty points. Looks like it might be around £16, which will be very useful as he needs a warm hoodie or a jacket & actually (shock, horror, hair stands on end!!) saw something he liked yesterday while we were out shopping. Hope the vouchers arrive soon.
    OK, I shall go & get those apples peeled now.
    Oh.....about paying in coins. I've always found the bank to be fine about this, as long as they are in the proper cash bags & properly counted out. I've also paid them into our bank account via the post office counter too. The big post office in town is happy to do this, but our village post office refuses to take more than 3 bags at a time because it is single-staffed. This is still the case when there is absolutely nobody else in there waiting to be served, so it might be a bit of a 'jobsworth' thing.

DNMS - I think it was you who said you found it hard to find 'Stardrops' in the shops? Have you tried 'Savers'? I was in there the other day & spotted that they have the original bottles which you can use neat on really tough jobs or dilute it yourself to make it last ages (usually over a year in my case!) Was pleased to see it because when I last went to my usual store to buy it, they only had the ready-made up spray bottles. Same price, but doesn't last anywhere near as long as the original undiluted stuff you can make up yourself. Just a thought, if you have a 'Savers' branch near you.
    OK, apple time.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • uphillstruggler
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words and for the tips on paying in coins. x
    Emergencies account: £500/500
  • MagicBeans
    Options
    Hi all,

Newbie here. Used to be on the forum years ago but couldn't remember my username. So am back under a new name.

I need to start taking control of our finances and what better place to start than the little, daily habits and spends.

All of my "big" expenses are pretty much sorted, it's the little things and the monthly grocery spends, leisure spends etc that tend to trip us up.

Uphillstruggler, sorry for your loss.xo

Things I'm doing today;
    ~ taken lunch into work instead of buying it out.
    ~ eating dinner from the cupboards/freezer.
    ~ making the most of our Amazon Instant Video subscription for £5.99 and streaming prime shows instead of paying to rent the latest at £3.45 each.
    ~ tracking my calories using myfitnesspal to help me lose a little weight so I can still fit in my clothes without buying new ones before Christmas! ��
  • arc2014
    arc2014 Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 October 2017 at 2:46PM
    Options
    Afternoon all! Good start to the week in my household!

- 7 day meal plan completed.
    - Everyone took lunch with them.
    - Will be using dads car to take my sister out for her birthday (concert - tickets already booked & paid for!)
    - Coffee from home this morning.

Treated myself to a mars bar from the vending machine so not an NSD but very close & I'm allowed to treat myself!

The washer will go on a quick wash tonight and I have items ending on eBay tomorrow & Wednesday. It's going to be a good week!
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    just harvested squashes :) 3 elongated rugby ball shaped ones (gave 1 away and there's another there, left to harden in the sun for a bit), 5 gourd types - thinking I will use one for Halloween instead of buying a pumpkin ;) - and another 4 BNS :) have come home to a tidy downstairs - did thorough flylady of lounge and quick once over of the hall & kitchen. Now am sitting with a hm mocha before going to pick up madam

2 loads of washing done and on the line, prob will need to go on airer over night. Another in machine to set for 5 am :)

ahhhhhh the simple pleasures!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi gang :wave:

Thanks for the kick off CLF! :A

What a lovely bunch of new and not-so-new posters. :hello:

Well... what a crazy world we live in. :( There are some real nutters out there. :(

In small things:
    I've just gone through our budgets and would you believe it, but I got our mortgage payment wrong! :eek: Paperwork says 'your new rate is effective from 1 October', but alas... the mortgage payment that goes out on 1 October is actually paying for September and my new mortgage payment won't take effect until the next payment comes out on 1 November!! :(

Need to tidy round tonight and then think of something for tea :think:

Other things:
    - got another job spotter job :cool:
    - free tea/coffee in work
    - free biccie in work :p
    - found myself an NHS dentist :T
    - bought a dress for just 10 British pounds :cool: - already have 2 occasions to wear it to :cool:

CLF - I'm with ya on the stuck for something to crochet part... Hmmm...

Take care of yourselves everyone :wave:
  • LavenderBee
    Options
    Hi Uphill

Sorry, I just read these threads sometimes as a bit of inspiration, and spotted your change dilemma. I had the same problem with Nationwide a couple of years ago - they said that since they are a Building Society and not a bank, they only accept small amounts of coinage to be paid in. Sorry that probably isn't the answer you want :( you could get round it by taking in the maximum amount allowed in separate occasions, but it depends how much of a logistical faff that is for you (for me that would take months!).

I'm sorry to hear of your loss too :(
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone :wave:

US and foxgloves - hope you are both doing OK. :grouphug:

I'm well annoyed about my mortgage. I need to call them back this morning. The more I think about it the more I think he just palmed me off yesterday as magically this morning the rate is now showing (if it kicked in on 1 October why did it not show from then...? Or at least yesterday as the next working day... Why 3rd October???). Also, the 'contracted monthly amount' hasn't changed so I get the impression he's done half a job. And finally, absolutely all of the paperwork says the new rate will come in on 1 August (I switched in July) and not at 1 October when the old rate ends.... :think: It's not sitting right with me. Hopefully they will change the rate retrospectively to 1 August, keep the payment I've been making and reduce the ongoing monthly payment - then we can hammer higher-interest debts for the next 2 years. :think:

So that's my morning ramble :o

What else...
    - Cheapo porridge brekkie
    - Leftovers for lunch
    - Going on on lunch for a walk
    - Shopping this eve - our cupboards are bare! :o
    - Not washing my hair :p
    - Did my own nails

Not much really - just how I like things. :D

Happy Tuesday!
  • MagicBeans
    Options
    Morning all.

Managed to stick to my goals yesterday, which was fab & managed a NSD! ��

Same goals today of:
    ~ take lunch to work.
    ~ dinner from stores.
    ~ Amazon prime instead of renting the films I reallllly want to see. ��
    ~ Track calories in MFP (also tends to stop me spending money on food!).

I also have our boiler service today. I put £100 aside for the service itself (£60) and any minor repairs. I'm hoping I don't have to spend the additional £40 as I really need it to go towards our MOT in a months time. Fingers crossed!

Also realised that when I'm organised and ready on time walking to work is MSE as it saves on fuel. So adding that to my list too which I also managed yesterday.

~ walk to and from work.

Hope you all have a fab day. ��
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family