HELP - Outstanding debt from previous tenant

Hi all......really need advice on the below!!!

Basically just had letting agent email me to say British Gas have forcibly entered my property (empty now as not got a tenant) and changed the front lock.

After speaking to British Gas they are chasing an unpaid bill for the period my ex tenant was in the property and state they have not received notification from the letting agent that ex tenant had moved out! Another sticking point is that the name on the bill isnt the ex tenants.........it isnt mine either but now I am not sure where I stand as to the debt???

Letting agent state they havent received any written notification of these outstanding bills and ex wife says she returned any mail she had to sender.

Any ideas as to what my next move is as just want it sorted!

Help

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Another sticking point is that the name on the bill isnt the ex tenants.........it isnt mine either but now I am not sure where I stand as to the debt???

Does BG have the right flat? http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=56419281
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUK314&q=can+british+gas+forcibly+enter+property&oq=&gs_l=
    http://www.inbrief.co.uk/property-law/who-can-enter-your-house.htm
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite

Basically just had letting agent email me to say British Gas have forcibly entered my property (empty now as not got a tenant) and changed the front lock.

After speaking to British Gas they are chasing an unpaid bill for the period my ex tenant was in the property and state they have not received notification from the letting agent that ex tenant had moved out! Another sticking point is that the name on the bill isnt the ex tenants.........it isnt mine either but now I am not sure where I stand as to the debt???

Letting agent state they havent received any written notification of these outstanding bills and ex wife says she returned any mail she had to sender.

Help

I have since responded to this on your other thread in the G&E board here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4299165

:)

As this question is not one of the types of questions the CAB are currently answering on this board, I suggest you either call the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline (0845 4040506) or you could contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau which you can find at www.citizensadvice.org.uk if you wish the CAB to advise you.
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative

Help

Hi Gooberdargy - we'd recommend that you contact our Consumer Helpline (08454 04 05 06, 9am to 5pm, Mondays to Fridays) about the service agreement with the managing agent and what's happened, and also your local bureau about the overall situation and to explore options for action.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure