Spitting up and benefits

2»

Comments

• Thanks for everyone's advice. After looking at everything even if I will be on my 'own' up here it seems best for me to find a job and stay in the house. To be fair it's a lovely area and the kids are settled at school + it does have breakfast and after school club giving me 8 - 6 available if needed, and will be closer to 'Dad' as he will most likely rent local as it's good for his work commute here and obv kids are here.

I basically just need to find a job here during the day and on paper everything should work out at least financially...... I suppose if I can at least get a temp solution for now and get set up on my own, I can always look at moving in the future.
  • Hi guys,

Feeling a bit over whelmed about it all tbh.

So options are stay here and get a job, I have applied for loads, but with children's school holidays coming up fast I'm worried about getting everything together. I'm not guranteed to get places for breakfast club/after school club and the 'deadline' to apply is 22nd June, however I can ask them later but my chances of getting it would be much higher putting it in now - but I need the job in place to put the childcare in place. I could find a child minder, but the cost almost doubles due to the extra drop off fees etc!!

I could look to sell the house and move back 'home' but then I would have a gap where I would need to set myself up back there and find a job there too......... it just feels impossible.

Pretty sure 'OH' will stay here as long as I need him too in fairness to him, but my stress levels are through the roof ATM and I'm making myself ill with it all. I just want a base sorted, to know we're financially secure and go from there...

Would we have to have seperate bank accounts etc to start putting a claim in now? My biggest concern right now is he earns quite a bit - so if I have to count his income for this tax year that he has earned so far, it seems every month he is here my entitlement to benefits once he has left would decrease? Is that right? I'd really not be fussed about putting a claim in as finances are still shared ATM but my main worry is long term and if I do it now I assume that it would only add his income up to this point for the year.... ?

Ack!!!
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 June 2018 at 10:34AM
    bigbill has already mentioned this but I am going to repeat it.

The capital in any premises you own but do not live in will be ignored for at least 6 months (maybe longer if there is difficulty in selling it) for both Universal Credit and Housing Benefit.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/687077/admh2.pdf

H2114/2116

So you do not need to worry about this if you move to a new area and rent. Also if you stay in your current house the capital in it is ignored.

The capital in your house does not affect tax credits.

Whatever you decide to do, stay where you are/move to a new area you will be making a single claim - for tax credits and any other benefits. Your partner's income will not be counted.

Because you will be making a new claim it is vital that as soon as you split up that you have no financial connection with him other than child support - so insurances, telephone, utilities, bank accounts etc etc must all be in your name.

So, benefits aside only you can make the decision about where to live.

Options as I see it.

1. Stay in your house and your partner pays the mortgage in lieu of child support. Make a single claim for tax credits and also JSA or UC for everything if you stop work - no sanction if you give up because of lack of child care. You can also apply for single person's discount and or council tax reduction if you claim JSA/UC.

2. Leave the house and find rented accommodation. Again the value of the house will be ignored whilst it is being sold. You make a single claim for tax credits, HB/JSA, CT reduction. or UC. Your partner pays the mortgage in lieu of child support.

Since your partner cannot buy you out then there is really no option but to sell the house.

Of course the job situation is difficult but you have had advice about this already. You can quit and go on benefits or you can try to find another job before you make any other decisions.

It seems to me that your job situation is the critical one so concentrate on this and then make a decision about where you live. It seems, from what you say, that your partner is amicable about getting everything in place financially before any major decisions about the house are made so there is no immediate rush.

I understand your concerns but which ever decision you make you will be OK so try to focus on the job situation now that you know the capital in the house will not stop you from claiming benefits if you sell up.

What childcare can your partner help with?

CAB should go through this all with you and do a benefits check up with the different scenarios so you could write down your options and ask for that information.

Good luck!
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Partner, oh, are you actually splitting up?
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport