Shredder for Home Office

Options
Can anyone recommend a reliable shredder, please? My third one in three years has just wheezed and died, no power and yes I have checked the plug, fuse etc and it didn't overheat. I'm self employed, and probably shred 40-60 pages of A4 per week. The latest one was a Fellowes, replacing a previous one that gave up and had to be returned after only a month. It worked ok although the '6 pages at a time' claim was patently untrue, it would never take more than one.(I don't even bother trying with cardboard).
I'd just like to find one that will last more than 12 months, don't mind paying a bit more if it's worth it - or should I just view it as a 'disposable' and accept it'll need replacing regularly?
Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree that cheap machines are feeble and don'r last any length of time. After wasting money on a couple I now burn paperwork to dirspose of it - either in my wood burner or on a bonfire in the garden. I've heard of other people who tear papers up a bit and mash them in water like papier-mache to obliterate the print before putting the pulp in the rubbish or recycling.

I suspect that solid and reliable machines involve paying several hundred Pounds and I wonder how worthwhile it is.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Options
    Have to agree the cheaper ones are useless. I've had a few in my small office and they never seemed to last more than a few months. But, I bit the bullet and bought a more robust, heavy duty, one, for I think, about £75-£100 and it's so far lasted 4 or 5 years, with quite a lot of work to do (dozens if not hundreds of sheets every week), and still going strong. It's a Fellowes W-5Cs cross cut shredder.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,022 Forumite
    Options
    I expect to pay around £100 for a shredder, and try to buy them from CostCo. Then if they go wrong, I get my money back. If they don't have heavy duty shredders in stock, I go elsewhere, but if they do, I buy another.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i find that the A4 sized manual non electric one that I bought in a charity shop has lasted rather well. Still going strong 5 years later. Mind you, you do have to turn a handle each time, so perhaps not the solution for you, even if it is MSE.
  • mchale
    mchale Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    Options
    Do you oil the shredder regularly.
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
  • discat11
    discat11 Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    After paying £200+ for an office one for it to pack up immediately after the warranty period, I would go for something from a good brand in the middle of the price bracket for VFM.
    I agree the really cheap ones don't last, but my fellowes one is about 3 years old and although used lightly it still works perfectly.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've got the Swordfish 1500XCD, which I bought after killing 3 Fellowes shredders over several years. I've had this one about 5 years now, oil it regularly and it's serving me very well. Have been clearing out a lot of old documents recently, it's had a bit of a thrashing but continues to do its job.

It will also handle documents with staples in, and credit cards.

You can pick it up for about £200
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Options
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure