PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting, moved out, still responsible for house, landlord gaining unauthorised entry

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Change the locks and bar all further access to the flat from the workmen.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Why did you offer to pay off anything? IF the landlord has taken the flat back you should be asking for him to return rent you have already paid for it, plus your full deposit and to recognise that the tenancy has already ended
    Since he's done work he can't possibly hold you accountable for any damage.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Surely, if there was a period when there was no bathroom, the property would be uninhabitable and therefore (logically, if not legally) you cannot be held liable for rent because the property was not fit to live in.

CAB, solicitor (many offer free half hour consultations) Shelter... Or where is G_M? Have not seen anything from them for some time.
    :bdaycake::bdaycake::bdaycake:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hope he hasn't got this awful flu
  • Surely this is trespassing on your property. Whether you were in at the time or not it!!!8217;s immaterial. It!!!8217;s like selling a property and people moving in before completion and squatting. What a bizarre situation.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 March 2018 at 11:48AM
    The landlord is in the wrong and you have a case for a refund of rent from the moment that the landlord 'ended' the tenancy by taking repossession of the property.

However, as a landlord, if I was in that position I would be far from happy with someone taking a lease on my property and leaving it vacant. Apart from the risk of the unhealthy attention that empty properties can attract from the low-life of this world, properties do not benefit from heating and plumbing systems not being used for long periods of time - particularly during the winter months. I am also fairly certain that my mortgage and insurances will have clauses in them requiring that the property is not left empty for extended periods.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Surely this is trespassing on your property. Whether you were in at the time or not it!!!8217;s immaterial. It!!!8217;s like selling a property and people moving in before completion and squatting. What a bizarre situation.
    Trespass is a civil 'offence', so the OP would need to quantify a loss
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    I'd go and see a solicitor for a free half hour, I'd be wanting to take the landlord to court for full return of your rent from the day he took possession, your full deposit back and also any extra costs you incurred due to not having the use of the bathroom you were paying for (did you go to a hotel, or pay to use gym facilities for example).

I'm not an expert though, hence suggesting that you get advice from somebody who is.
  • How long is a long period of time, and isn!!!8217;t it the same if the bank owns your home and you go on a long holiday? You would not expect the bank to repossess because you have gone on a jolly to Australia for a couple of months. I think in my rental agreement it stipulates to inform landlord if we are away for more than 28 days. But the op did do this.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    MEM62 wrote: »
    The landlord is in the wrong and you have a case for a refund of rent from the moment that the landlord 'ended' the tenancy by taking repossession of the property.

However, as a landlord, if I was in that position I would be far from happy with someone taking a lease on my property and leaving it vacant. Apart from the risk of the unhealthy attention that empty properties can attract from the low-life of this world, properties do not benefit from heating and plumbing systems not being used for long periods of time - particularly during the winter months. I am also fairly certain that my mortgage and insurances will have clauses in them requiring that the property is not left empty for extended periods.

The landlord can't have it all ways. If they don't want the place empty (which it would be during void periods anyway) they should let the tenant negotiate an early exit.

The OP should definitely have changed the lock and should do so now if they haven't already.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure