is skype dead without MS?

From this afternoon I am receiving the prompt to sign in with Microsoft or open an account - there is no option to use the old skype account. Does any tech know a trick how to get it back? I'm using windows 7 an intend to until it dies.
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi

Comments

• silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm on Windows 7 and just checked; seems OK, and I hope it is as I've a skype lesson tomorrow morning.

Have you done a software update recently? I did see a similar prompt page recently after tidying up Firefox, but got back in normally.
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm on Windows 7 and just checked; seems OK, and I hope it is as I've a skype lesson tomorrow morning.

Have you done a software update recently? I did see a similar prompt page recently after tidying up Firefox, but got back in normally.

If there was an update it did it without a prompt. The platform had changed considerably a few weeks ago but I never needed to sign in.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • vtech19
    vtech19 Posts: 17 Forumite
    i think skype died when MS took it over, I miss the trusty old MSN Messanger
  • Happygreen

I got in - I made the mistake trying it with my original email address. That definitely no longer works. Using my skype name worked (I had to check on my phone....)
    Hope all works smoothly for you tomorrow, thanks for taking the time to reply.
  • Happygreen
    vtech19 wrote: »
    i think skype died when MS took it over, I miss the trusty old MSN Messanger

I'd love to use whatsapp instead but my laptop is too old for the app :( FB messenger works as well but mum doesn't have it.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 March 2018 at 9:10AM
    I still use Skype phone app to make paid calls to landlines when abroad or to call special non geographic numbers abroad that cannot be reached any other way. But the app GUI post MS is grotesque Ill admit.

Now WhatsApp: Love the usability of the app and use it to discuss confidential paperwork with son abroad. Itd be great if WhatsApp offered high quality calls to landlines - that would be bye-bye Skype.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Happygreen wrote: »
    I'd love to use whatsapp instead but my laptop is too old for the app :( FB messenger works as well but mum doesn't have it.
    Does WhatsApp for laptops/Windows actually exist?
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    i just use whats app web
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Whatsapp is available via the Opera Browser.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    and Chrome browser, chromebook
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business