Kitchen companies wont send quote without deposit

Been to Wren and Magnet. Got an independent and Howdens next. Also looking at diy-kitchens.
Wren and Magnet wouldnt send a detailed quote of what I'm getting without paying deposit. I can't do business this way. I don't recall this nonsense with B&Q with my last kitchen.Can you recommend anyone who will actually send me a quote so I don't have to sign up in store?

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Wren and Magnet wouldnt send a detailed quote of what I'm getting without paying deposit.

When I went to Magnet last year, they were only too happy to send me their (inflated) quote plus 3D renders - Then spammed me with their latest "offers" despite being told not to. Unfortunately for them, their showroom is on the way in to work, so I went in and gave the rep a stiff talking to while he was trying to make a sale to another customer....
    Magnet also included a whole bunch of useless extras in their list of parts and didn't like being told that it was a waste - Trim panels between each unit !!!!!!....

Benchmarx were more than happy to give me quotes for their stuff (you could go through Wickes for the same kitchens). Even after discounts, a local independent undercut by quite a margin.

Buildbase also do kitchens - Might be worth giving them a look... Prices can be a bit on the high side though.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I suppose they think you would use their design without payment. I would not want to pay a deposit though.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Find an installer that will send you a quote without asking for a deposit. I fit kitchens and bathrooms and would never ask a customer for a deposit before sending a quote.

It'd just a sharp practice.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've got a Magnet kitchen and didn't have to pay a deposit to see the detailed quote.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Iirc when we were looking they will happily sit down with you in the showrooms and go through everything, give you a 3d etc but they are never keen to give.out the detailed breakdown to take away with you because it would be very easy to go and compare with DIY kitchens or the like.
    I ended up going to IKEA and designing one with all the bits I wanted!
  • CKdesigner
    CKdesigner Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think there is confusion here, does the OP just want a quotation from Magnet and Wren or does the OP want to take away the kitchen design from these places that the quotation is based on as well?

The problem is that to design a kitchen properly takes a considerably amount of time and effort, which is fine because that!!!8217;s what kitchen designers do, but the design is their or their company!!!8217;s IP. So without some sort of commitment they would be silly to give this away.

The best solution by far is that you think of the design and the quotation as 2 separate entities. So with the design either employ a designer to design it with / for you, in the same way as you would employ an architect to design an extension for you. Alternatively in a small / simple kitchen space, design it your self, either with pencil, paper and ruler or there are many internet based design tools out there.

Once you have the design that you are happy with take it to as many different supply companies as you like for their quotation. This way you will probably get a better price from the supplier as they haven!!!8217;t had to spend the time designing it, as described above.

This will also save the customer a lot of time as they won!!!8217;t have to go through the design process with lots of alternative suppliers.

CK
  • tony6403
    tony6403 Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    CKdesigner wrote: »
    I think there is confusion here, does the OP just want a quotation from Magnet and Wren or does the OP want to take away the kitchen design from these places that the quotation is based on as well?

The problem is that to design a kitchen properly takes a considerably amount of time and effort, which is fine because that!!!8217;s what kitchen designers do, but the design is their or their company!!!8217;s IP. So without some sort of commitment they would be silly to give this away.

The best solution by far is that you think of the design and the quotation as 2 separate entities. So with the design either employ a designer to design it with / for you, in the same way as you would employ an architect to design an extension for you. Alternatively in a small / simple kitchen space, design it your self, either with pencil, paper and ruler or there are many internet based design tools out there.

Once you have the design that you are happy with take it to as many different supply companies as you like for their quotation. This way you will probably get a better price from the supplier as they haven!!!8217;t had to spend the time designing it, as described above.

This will also save the customer a lot of time as they won!!!8217;t have to go through the design process with lots of alternative suppliers.

CK

Don't agree with this.
    The designers costs are part of the fixed overheads accounted for in the companies' charges for the units , appliances etc.
    Not comparable with an architect whose sole purpose is the actual design work.
    I think this methodology is borne out by the likes of Howdens advertising like this :-
    https://www.howdens.com/advice-inspiration/free-home-survey-kitchen-design-service/
    Forgotten but not gone.
  • CKdesigner
    CKdesigner Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tony6403 wrote: »
    Don't agree with this.
    The designers costs are part of the fixed overheads accounted for in the companies' charges for the units , appliances etc.
    Not comparable with an architect whose sole purpose is the actual design work.
    I think this methodology is borne out by the likes of Howdens advertising like this :-
    https://www.howdens.com/advice-inspiration/free-home-survey-kitchen-design-service/

No sorry Tony, I think you are wrong.

In the sheds the designers have to sell otherwise they won’t have a job for very long, will they?

So if they have to sell, the design work they do is going to be biased towards selling a kitchen and selling one of their company’s kitchens. Therefore the design work they do will always be compromised.

Where as if a customer pays a fair amount of money for a designer to design the space, this promotes free thinking. Not always granted, but if a designer works for themselves and not for a company then they have no particular bias.

CK
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport