Wix and SEO

I've built a site via Wix for a small business, but when it comes to SEO I'm a bit clueless.
I've worked through the Wix SEO settings, completed the SEO checklist (connected to Google Search Console etc).

At the moment my website is listed at the bottom of page 1 when I input the actual name of the business.

When I input they keywords I can't find it at all.

Is there anything more I can do for my website's SEO, or is it a matter of time?

Comments

• WolfSong2000
    WolfSong2000 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I've built a site via Wix for a small business, but when it comes to SEO I'm a bit clueless.
    I've worked through the Wix SEO settings, completed the SEO checklist (connected to Google Search Console etc).

At the moment my website is listed at the bottom of page 1 when I input the actual name of the business.

When I input they keywords I can't find it at all.

Is there anything more I can do for my website's SEO, or is it a matter of time?

Unfortunately Wix is absolutely appalling for SEO and there's not much to be done about it from what I understand.

I'm not remotely tech savvy but I used wordpress (wordpress.org not wordpress.com) as a base for my website (buy a domain and web hosting - most big companies will be able to help you with using wordpress. VidaHost really helped me when I was getting started and I now use HiHosting who are also excellent but I've no experience with other providers - sorry).

It takes a little while to get to grips with the basics of wordpress, but it's not difficult. You can also get really good themes that don't require any knowledge of coding (I use a paid for theme called Divi by Elegant Themes but Wordpress will have details of many excellent free themes). Wordpress also has free plguins that you can use to help with SEO and again, many don't require any knowledge of coding.

Using wordpress gives you much more flexibility than Wix and will allow you to really target and improve your SEO. Wordpress.org is free so all you need to pay for is the website domain and hosting. It will mean starting your website again which I appreciate is a faff, but in the long run I promise it will be worth it!
  • rhysadams
    rhysadams Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Wix is useless for SEO, we use wordpress snd use Best Web hostings £299 per month package. You can auto install wordpress on here: goo.gl/Lj4KVv
  • rhysadams
    rhysadams Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    That should have been £2.99 per month
  • my domain is registered at 1&1, is it easy to switch (that link says 'free domain on some plans')?
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    my domain is registered at 1&1, is it easy to switch (that link says 'free domain on some plans')?
    good luck with the price increase in 18 months time

when 1&1's "introductory" offer ran out on us the price increased by 60%

what 1&1 didn't know is I see many client's expenses and so knew what others were paying

1&1 no longer host our website and shop.....
  • OneYorkshireLass
    OneYorkshireLass Posts: 3,166 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 30 August 2017 at 7:56PM
    was it easy to switch? and how did you switch to?
  • WolfSong2000
    WolfSong2000 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    was it easy to switch? and how did you switch to?

Speak with the company you're looking to move to. I've recently switched my domain and hosting from Vidahost to a company called HiHosting. They talked me through what needed to be done, and also did a lot themselves. I'm a total technophobe but they were very good at hand-holding me through the process :) I'm certain other reputable companies will be the same.

Either way, I'd definitely consider moving away from 1&1 as I've heard some horror stories. With HiHosting, when I moved my domain to them, as it was close to renewal anyhow they said they'd apply the 1 year free domain so that didn't cost me anything. May be worth asking other companies you're looking at if they offer similar?
  • Op, if your SEO is poor, changing hosting firm, or domain host will help change neither of these unless they are blacklisted IP addresses.

I build websites for a living. You seo score for your own business should more prominent than bottom of page one, provided you have no direct competitors with your title.

There are scores and scores of pointers to help your seo score, but it is not a one hit and you suddenly fly up, it is small changes over the site.

Do you have multiple pages on your website? Do you use headers appropriately, tying in the topic of your business and the content on the relevant pages? Do you have meta descriptions relevant to the page topic as well as referencing the site name for each page? Have you registered for Google Local, so that you gain the google map result and encompassing image library for your business? Has your website been live for more than 6 weeks on the domain you have chosen? If you use a Wix website, there are thousands of redundant lines of code, that are not relevant to your business. That is why paying for a firm to build you a custom website is usually the way to go if you want better search results. You can achieve good results with Wix, but it takes time and effort and the redundant lines of code are still there.

Wordpress is better, it does give you more easily accessible SEO features on a per-page basis, but there are still masses of redundant lines of code.

If you use a content enabler such as woorank, you can see the text as Google sees it and the 2-word, 3-word, 4-word tags that appear most prominently on your site. This includes all of the hidden text and text hidden with javascript. Once you know what your terms are here, then you can look at revising the content.

The fallback, is that you stay as you are, but find a local SEO agency, who will ask you for a one-time fee to review your site and competitors in the market and make advisory changes. Usually they will want to tie you in to a minimum contract, but once you have had the site reviewed you will at least know where some larger points for you seo score can be made.
  • Thanks tireddad, that's very helpful advice.

Yes, I have done everything you suggest.

Since I wrote the original post I have found my business has risen to nearer the top of Google searches when I input the business name. However, as a new business the amount of people Googling the business name is just a handful.

However, with Google Business... If I am using Google Maps, I do appear in the listing, however if I am just using Google search and the maps appear in the list then I don't appear. I mean, someone is less likely to be looking on Google Maps for a business - they'll be looking at the main Google search. Is there any way to appear on the list within Google search, not just the maps?
  • Make sure you get plenty of links and also social mentions of your domain. This will help your Google rankings no matter who the host is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure