PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Daily Sunday 17th February

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Comments

• dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Good morning everyone :hello:
    Yet again sleep eludes me so having been up for a few hours and having read all the internet (or so it feels) I thought I would start us all off.

We have the grand children staying with us for the night so I expect to see my grandson in about an hour despite having a very late night for a 7 year old. Oh well, he wants to learn how to knit so I have bought hin a little set of knitting needles and will give it a go later on, maybe after my third cup of tea :). My grandaughter is nearly 11 so she will stay tucked up in bed till the last minute.

Steve was up when I first came back downstairs as he wants a new computer desk so he was looking online for a good one that will fit in the available space next to mine. He called it quits after an hour and went to bed (lightweight!) without buying anything. He wants one that will fit a console on as well as his computer plus there has to be drawers as he needs somewhere for all his mancrap :D.

I have spent a bit of time making a mealplan for myself and shopping accordingly. The diet has slipped a bit mainly because I am so tired all the time so crave a quick fix to wake myself up a bit. This will not do so I am going to cook myself some good nutricious food and eat plenty of fruit and veg too. I have also decided to have my main meal at lunchtime and just a snack or light meal in the evening. I will be interested to see if this has any effect on my weight and mood.

Saying all that, Steve is in charge of the kitchen today but I know he is planning to cook a roast chicken dinner which will be lovely as he always cooks loads of veg for me. The cupboards and freezers are full so I will have plenty to choose from in the week and I am planning to make some different salads to change things up a bit.

Snoozer, I hope Steve is properly on the mend now and will be home soon xx
    Hugs to you Holly, hope you have managed a bit more sleep today xx
    taff, my thoughts are with you too, hoping you will soon start to feel better xx

Loving the 'Roger' talk, I too need a Roger in my life as Steve never has time to do the gardening and it looks like waving wheat out there :o. It doesn't help that our neighbour is always in their garden making it look beautiful. I am thinking about getting a cleaner for a couple of hours a week just to do the living room and the bathroom and loos. I feel a bit guilty as I am home all day every day but I just cannot physically manage the cleaning anymore and I am sick of nagging the kids and even when they do it, it's like the bare minimum so it soon looks messy and grubby again. I would happily spend some of my PIP on it but I worry about having a stranger in my home. Will think about it some more before I decide anything.

Right, I think I hear someone moving around upstairs so I will wait and see who joins me down here. Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • Morning Dumpling, I have been up for an hour or so, DS has just been down but just for the loo and he is going to bed now - OH still in the arms of Morpheus.

I'm going to meet a friend today, she lives near Manchester so we don't get to meet all that often. Looking forward to that.

Otherwise, I have no plans.

Hope everyone has a good day, thinking of those who are unwell or worried.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Morning folks and thanks DUMPLING for the start. I too am still a paid up member of the insomniacs club. Wide awake at 4.00 and another early start to the day. I suppose I am lucky in that I can get to sleep in the first place, I just can't stay asleep. My SIL brought me a 4 page spread from the Mail on sleep disorders but I have yet to read it!

Not a lot planned for today, I am psyching myself up for much childminding and sleepovers this coming week, it being half term. It's bad timing really as it's fallen on one of DD's busier working weeks. She is on a 4 week rota and this is the hardest week!

I got a chicken fillet out to defrost for my lunch, I am thinking I may do Hunters Chicken for a change, with some salad and baby potatoes. My soup stocks are dwindling too so I have bacon bits and ham stock defrosting to make Pea and Ham soup this morning.

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) as always for the sad, worried or lonely. Thinking of our poorlies too. HOLLY, TAFF, POPPY and STEVE. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Get yourself to the drop in at the hospital OL that's an order. Our local hospital has wheelchairs in the entrance for patients' use. If yours is the same maybe GRUMP could drive you there and bring one to the car for you. x
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Good morning, it seems to be quiet and dry outside.

OL. please go to the walk in centre, it can't be right to be that swollen.

Sounds as if you've got a busy week ahead TA, will the girls amuse themselves, or will you go out with them?

AOD, hope you have a lovely day with your friend.

Dumpling, you sound positive about your diet, and getting a cleaner would be helpful I'm sure, in the heavy use areas.

We had a good day yesterday at Alnwick Gar*ens and renewed our cards. It was busy, probably because it was a nice day. The wind was chilly though.
    We walked into the town and looked round the charity shops, I bought a scarf and a book. We had lunch at a nice fish and chip caf!, lovely they were!!

Don't know what delights today holds, we'll see. A bit of housework wouldn't come amiss.

Take care folks, hope everyone has as good a day as possible
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning everyone,

Another one here who was tossing and turning all night but I didn’t want to get up as it was warm in bed and we don’t have the heating on overnight.
    I didn’t get over to see Lu yesterday as I felt a bit rubbish all day so will need to visit the yard after lunch today, apart from that have no other plans. We did manage to book a couple of nights away in a cottage by the Norfolk coast for next weekend, just for a change of scenery really and little dog loves the beach walks so looking forward to that.
    OL please at least call 111 and get some advice, that shouldn’t be happening like that?
    Hugs to all poorlies or those with worries and cares.

Have a good Sunday folks x
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning everyone

Having spent yesterday doing pretty much nothing other than dozing and half watching the TV I need to get a few things done today.

I’ve got a load in the washing machine and there is another load to go in later. I want to dust my bedroom and have a quick vacuum through as well.

Dinner will be a cod and prawn recipe I found on the internet recently and fancy trying today because it has minimum prep time.

If it is a nice afternoon I will go for a walk in the park.

AOD have a good day with your friend.
    OL please try and get to the walk in centre, it sounds like you are in a lot of pain.

Whatever you are doing have as good a day as possible everyone.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Good morning :)

OL ...Agree with Lainey call 111 and they may arrange a doctor visit ....do it now whilst it's still quiet out there in the world.

AODhave a good trip its supposed to be nice again today

Woke early too but no great surprise as I had a nice early night

Managed a long chef fest yesterday including hubby of course, Masterchef Jamie and Nigella. My kind of viewing. Did do some house stuff though and managed to get the bedding dry outside ...first attempt of the year and boy did it smell so gorgeous for it. Another wash on now so i'll get that out too.

I ended up having moule mariniere and crusty bread last night :) none left now so need a trip to Costco to pick the mussels up. Today I'm not sure yet I'll have a freezer rummage soon

I'm rogered every 2 weeks from March onwards... although my Roger is Mark :D well worth it for me as not only do I not really have the time for upkeep I dont have any love at all for gardening but I do have lots of love for my garden. I will get another Mark in too at the start of spring to jet wash the patios and trim my bushes. Well worth it to me now so will highly recommend.

I do wish I could afford a cleaner as well but no chance on that one atm and that would be me being lazy.

Chef fest again this morning with Sunday Brunch so i'll run around before it starts and get the house decent.

Hoping you got some sleep last night Holly and TA hope you get some respite tonight

Edited as cross posted with Hol
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning! took my lovely new painkiller last night, was in bed by half ten snoring my head off.Woke up completely at seven after the cat walked on me. It doesn't seem to be burning as much so I'm hoping they've kicked in as a painkiller already [ read instructions, says can take up to six weeks...?!?!] ANyway, that seems ok...
    Didn't get round to the zip, had an expected and an unexpected visitor so that put me off my stride. Well, I say put me off my stride but what I really mean is that I couldn't be bothered after that :) No one coming to interrupt today, as far as I know, so will get on with it today...
    Made a mistake when I bought the quilt for upstairs, it's a 13.5 tog because I'm always cold, but it's proven to be an oven and too hot even for me, so I've given in and bought a 10 tog one...It'll probably still be too hot for OH but just right for me...me? selfish?.....

OL, if you can't walk, sit or lie comfortable, you'll be no worse off if you do go to the centre, so go. TA, enjoy the nice busy time ahead ! dumpling, nice to see you , you're doing well still n your diet and yes, you need a Roger too...do you know anyone with a cleaner you could ask? AOD enjoy your meet up. |Scarlet, jusy googled the gardens, leetle beet too far for me to travel in a day, but will keep in mind for any future road trip...:) Holly, have fun in the park! Nelski, I'm amazed you don't watch the food channel all the time...I used to enjoy watching the barefoot contessa only because of the insane amounts of butter she used to put in, way more than your husband....Lainey, hope you enjoy your future weekend away...Wotcha Poppy, tru..
    Sagacious Sunday....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning everyone

OL - please go to the walk in centre, have you got an allergic reaction to something? If so get medical help IMMEDIATELY,

dumpling - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Light here, sun has just appeared.

DH and myself are enjoying first peaceful cuppas, both boys still in their pits.

Food went down well last night with our friends, lovely to sit and chill, chatting and having a few glasses of vino, they left just after midnight.

The plan for today was a cooked full english then going out to visit DH's grandad, but forecast is good and that means the roads to his home will be busy so we're going to go early then have the full english later when we get back.

I did get the remaining cleaning done I wanted yesterday so need to try to keep on top of it, still have lots of paperwork so will endeavour to do some shredding as I'm sure there's stuff that we do not need to keep. I must do some ironing as I don't have any work uniform blouses ready.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills