Sky package in friends name

Options
Looking for some advice - friend is moving out and the sky package is in their name. Is it worth taking on the sky package or should I get them to cancel and I start a new contract with Sky or another provider?
Paying around £80 a month for sky and broadband.

Any advice really appreciated

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are they even prepared to allow the bill to continue in their name is the first question you should be asking? It's the sort of thing that can strain even close friendships
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Get them to cancel and then sign up in your name. Doing otherwise just creates all sorts of unintended consequences down the line and is not worth the effort.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jcarver007 wrote: »
    Looking for some advice - friend is moving out and the sky package is in their name. Is it worth taking on the sky package or should I get them to cancel and I start a new contract with Sky or another provider?
    Paying around £80 a month for sky and broadband.

Any advice really appreciated

TBH, from your point of view I would have thought you becoming a 'new' Sky customer with all the benefits new customers get, would be better than trying to 'takeover' responsibility of your friends Sky account , if your friend is still within a minimum term deal with Sky and early termination charges would apply, then you could possibly come to some arrangement , if you feel obliged to help out.
    If ( for arguments sake ) 6 months were left on your friends minimum term, you could just continue as you are ( him or her paying) and you just pay them for those 6 months, and at that point , they cancel and you apply in your own name
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure