Rights as an engaged couple

Options
I have been with my boyfriend for 6 years now, we one day want to get married but it is too expensive. I do have a worry that something will happen to either of us (especially me since I ride a motorcycle). Do you have legal rights as a fiancee like you would as a married couple, if one partner passed away?

I remember hearing about a woman who died and her long term boyfriend of about 20 years didn't have access to her accounts or anything

Comments

• MovingForwards
    Options
    Nope.
    Get wills drawn up and signed.

A wedding doesn't have to be expensive, registry office and jobs done.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have been with my boyfriend for 6 years now, we one day want to get married but it is too expensive. - it's not. The cost is simply how much you want to spend. I do have a worry that something will happen to either of us (especially me since I ride a motorcycle). Do you have legal rights as a fiancee like you would as a married couple, if one partner passed away? - no. There are some rights as persons engaged to be married, but they are very limited

I remember hearing about a woman who died and her long term boyfriend of about 20 years didn't have access to her accounts or anything

And no reason for him to do so. They had no legal relationship
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Lots of wedding/marriage threads on this forum. You can get married for £500
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Options
    No rights whatsoever. Pop down to the local registrars office and get married. The big wedding with you in the starrng role is a nonsense if you need to borrow for it or if you are renting your home or your car. The trimmings on the day are optional what is important is the marriage that follows.
    Many men do not want the Big Day, they put up with it to appease the beast!
  • Katapolt
    Options
    If you're worried about the legal side of it you can get married in a registry office for around £200 inc giving notice (area depending).

You can then save up and have the wedding celebration at a later date, but you at least have that security.
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    Have wills drawn up if you don't want to rush your wedding. But definitely get something legal in place - an engaged couple is just a romantic partnership in the eyes of the law.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    Loanranger wrote: »
    No rights whatsoever. Pop down to the local registrars office and get married. The big wedding with you in the starrng role is a nonsense if you need to borrow for it or if you are renting your home or your car. The trimmings on the day are optional what is important is the marriage that follows.
    Many men do not want the Big Day, they put up with it to appease the beast!

I have been looking at how to get married for under £600, I would probably get married in a friends garden and buy a dress from the high street. I am not one for spending thousands on a dress!! I have thought about getting a registrar office, but my boyfriend also wants a wedding day. Problem is we don't have the £600 haha
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    Have wills drawn up if you don't want to rush your wedding. But definitely get something legal in place - an engaged couple is just a romantic partnership in the eyes of the law.

HBS x

I think that's probably the best bet, we want a cheap wedding but I think we would both regret it if we went to the registrars office ): I think writing a will is cheaper for the moment, thank you x
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    .............. I think we would both regret it if we went to the registrars office ): I think writing a will is cheaper for the moment, thank you x

When writing a will - don't DIY or use a will writing service - use a solicitor
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    When writing a will - don't DIY or use a will writing service - use a solicitor

Oh really? What's the difference between a will writing service, are they not legally binding?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure