Will I get in trouble for this?

I dropped out of uni about a year ago but have still been using my Santander student account. I just forgot about it at first and then just used it since it was there, but recently have been wanting to close it and open a current account instead. However I noticed that Natwest have a deal right now that if you switch your current account from another bank to the Natwest existing bank account then you can get £150. At first I wanted to do this, but then I was wondering if Santander would ask why I'm closing my student account in this way, and I'd get in trouble for keeping it open too long? Does anyone have any experience in this or any advice? Thank you!

Comments

• poiuytr wrote: »
    I dropped out of uni about a year ago but have still been using my Santander student account. I just forgot about it at first and then just used it since it was there, but recently have been wanting to close it and open a current account instead. However I noticed that Natwest have a deal right now that if you switch your current account from another bank to the Natwest existing bank account then you can get £150. At first I wanted to do this, but then I was wondering if Santander would ask why I'm closing my student account in this way, and I'd get in trouble for keeping it open too long? Does anyone have any experience in this or any advice? Thank you!

Read the terms & conditions from NatWest. Generally you need to be transferring direct debits. Assuming you have none.
  • _shel wrote: »
    Read the terms & conditions from NatWest. Generally you need to be transferring direct debits. Assuming you have none.
    Hi! I've checked and didn't see anything about direct debits (tho I can set one up to pay my mum for rent if they're necessary, not sure if that counts or not though).
    From what I see, this is what counts as eligible:

a) transfer a non-NW current account to your existing eligible current account (which includes closing your non-NW current
    account and moving all your payment instructions to your eligible current account) using the Current Account Switch
    Service online or through a branch;
    (b) deposit £1,500 into your eligible current account; and
    (c) log into our online or mobile banking service,

b and c I can do, but I'm not sure if my student account counts as a current account to meet point a? Even then, I'm still worried that santander would question why I closed my student account in this way (but I'm not sure if they'd care or not)
    Thank you!
  • You wouldn't even need to speak with Santander as NatWest would deal with the switch and arrange closure as part of this. As long as you're not in your overdraft on your Santander account then it will close and that would be that as far as I'm aware.
  • poiuytr wrote: »
    Hi! I've checked and didn't see anything about direct debits (tho I can set one up to pay my mum for rent if they're necessary, not sure if that counts or not though).
    From what I see, this is what counts as eligible:

a) transfer a non-NW current account to your existing eligible current account (which includes closing your non-NW current
    account and moving all your payment instructions to your eligible current account) using the Current Account Switch
    Service online or through a branch;
    (b) deposit £1,500 into your eligible current account; and
    (c) log into our online or mobile banking service,

b and c I can do, but I'm not sure if my student account counts as a current account to meet point a? Even then, I'm still worried that santander would question why I closed my student account in this way (but I'm not sure if they'd care or not)
    Thank you!

Moving payment instructions means your direct debits. And moving not setting new ones up.
  • Peruse the terms and conditions from NatWest. For the most part you should exchange coordinate charges. Accepting you have none.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I pretty sure that Santander offer a grace period to move out the student account product, so I don't think you will be in any trouble for having continued to operate your student account. Best to move out of via the route described above.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure