will they help with mortgage payments?

Hi!

If I get working tax credit and am a single mum?

thank you
Thank you :D

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My own friend who is a single mum receives CTC and WTC - however she has to pay her mortgage herself,and i don't think she qualified for help with council tax (with the exception of 25% for only 1 adult in house)- she also has to pay for school dinners.but she does get 70% of her childcare costs paid.

If she'd gone on IS instead she would have got help towards her mortgage (but probably not all - cos is an endowment - and some years ago when i claimed this they didn't pay endowment policy costs - unless this has changed), she would also would have got council tax paid for and free school dinners - but she wouldn't have kept the maintainance from her kids dad - so in my friends case she is better off working.

I have no idea if you could get some help towards mortgage if you are in receipt of WTC but somewhere like benefits agency will be able to advise.
  • rushnowt
    rushnowt Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    a friend of mine is in receipt of incapacity benefit and child tax credit, and she has to pay all her mortgage costs and council tax, because she is over the threashold of being able to claim I.S.

I don't think they will pay anything to your mortgage if your working but you may still be entitled to council tax benefit depending on the amount you earn. I would suggest filling in the forms as soon as possible then you'll have a better idea.

from your question, i presume you are working or is it just that your in receipt of child tax credit, if it's just the latter, this will make a difference. If you are working are you claiming your entitlement to child care.

HTH a bit. ;D
    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission ;)

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing :p

• Homeowners Help with housing costs IS8

Although this is from Northern Ireland the information it contains is applicable here.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • hiya! i work self employed but just over 16 hours a week as it appears im better off getting WTC and CTC than income support and I think they will help with council tax a little bit

thanks for your help
    Thank you :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family