Building regs needed?

Options
I’m getting quotes from builders to turn a room into a utility and downstairs loo. The room was originally the downstairs bathroom for the house, but it was then converted into a small ‘snug’ room. The original plumbing is still there under the floor, but different builders are telling me different things about whether building regs are needed or not. Some are saying it’s just being turned back into its’ original use, so no building regs are needed. Another would charge me for a ‘completion certificate’. Also, when I bought the house, I was made aware that a sewage pipe runs near my property and I’d need to tell the water board about any extension or build over. As all the plumbing is still intact under that floor and I’m not extending or adding anything extra to the plumbing, that shouldn’t be an issue with the water board?

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If the original pipe is still in place connecting to the foul water sewer, then I doubt building control will need to be notified. Any electrical work may well need to be "signed off", but it would probably fall under "small works" and can be self certified by the electrician.

You may want obscured glass in any windows if not already fitted.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • gday064
    gday064 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    You can always ask for a regs officer to come and advise/inspect - think its around £100 but worth keeping your peace at mind. Be careful, some builders will tell you what you want to hear in order to get another customer.
  • BongoW
    BongoW Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, I’m definitely getting the impression that some of these builders are being a bit flippant about what is/isn’t needed regarding building regs etc. As you said, I’m just another customer to them, but it’ll be me that ends up getting into bother with the council!
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 February 2019 at 4:01PM
    Options
    You need to ask either the Building Control department in your area or someone who is an expert in the Building Regs such as an architect or an architectural technician.

Builders will have some knowledge of the Building regulations, but they probably would not be able to stand over any advice they give on those matters unless they clearly sate on a letterhead or website that they advise on such matters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure