Christmas present from grandma

Hi,

My mum wants to buy my little boy ( 6 months at xmas) a present (for about £50).
Can anyone reccomend something useful.
TIA

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ambassador
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘I wanna’ board to the ‘Christmas and Other Celebrations’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Depends totally on what your set up is what you already have etc

At 6 months old they won't remember christmas so it 's more what you want for baby and what will be useful to you

Highchair?
    Bumbo?
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • Nowhere near £50, but I would suggest some children's books. Soft cloth books, board books, and bath books will be popular over the next couple of years. "That's not my..." is a touchy feely book series from Usborne that is lovely for little ones. Aldi have some titles in at the moment.

It might also be a good idea for her to buy a decoration for the tree each year. That way, a collection will build up for the little one to take with him when he leaves home, and there will be happy memories for years to come.
  • zanuda
    zanuda Posts: 380
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    £50 is too high for parents, so we don't think in such a range.

Ask for walk-in tricycle, the kind they could sit and use their legs to push away and ride. It will work for a child for a couple of years. Then, it will depends on personal preference. My kids were always struggling with pedals (for up to 2 years at least). But I watched them first at all those drop in play groups, so I new what they liked. So we had that one:
    0b985373-4d07-4c36-b808-60c35011421a_1.8b1d3fe2545187f7df4cc49966217d23.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Got it from local bicycle shop. Don't see that model now, here amazon.co.uk/Chromo-Inc-Foldable-Toddlers-Tricycle/dp/B00E3FV9IK - it's out of stock.

Something similar you could find now:
    71rwPoMBnmL._AC_SS350_.jpg
    amazon.co.uk/Scuttlebug-Beetle-Red-and-Black/dp/B006ZKXGL4/ref=sr_1_9_sspa?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1542892757&sr=1-9-spons&keywords=Fly+Bike+Toddlers+Tricycle&psc=1
    You could find it in a lot of shops now. Search for "Scuttlebug". Last month ALDI had it. So go to the shop that has it, see the real thing to make sure you like it.

There are some other variations. Like this
    MonkeyPuzzle_JammScootPink.png
    jammtoys.com - Doesn't fold. Wood. Somehow kids like wooden toys (my kids' nursery had model like that).

Pushchair like trickles. Something like that:
    tricycle.jpg
    smartrike.co.uk
    You don't need any fancy hood-umbrella tops, extra storage thing. What you need is good grip handles and seat with a little back so the child could comfortably sit without grown up support, detachable handle in the back, if you go for pedal version, the pedals should be far enough to give a gild a space to walk if the child wants it. Again, when they grow they sill will be able to use it.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,198
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Are there any particular types of clothes or shoes he is likely to need? I know a lot of people get loads of stuff for newborns but less for older babies. And it would allow her to chose a selection of things.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,256
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    A bit boring I know but wouldn't it be better for grandparents to set up an account or buy Premium Bonds? As others have said, 6 month old child won't know the difference
  • Magnolia
    Magnolia Posts: 1,268
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Murphybear - I was just going to suggest premium bonds. They can be easily added to when cash is given as a gift.

We will be adding to our little grandsons 'stash' for his 2nd birthday as its 30th of December!
    Mags - who loves shopping
  • Babies don't really need anything now but my friend always buys her baby godson a small gift ie book / puzzle to unwrap and then puts money in his savings account for when they get older and really expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure