Technology that you avoid

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 July 2018 at 8:12AM
    michaels wrote: »
    I avoid anything with an apple on it - pay double for the same tech so you can be locked into a walled garden and overcharged for everything else - no thank you.

Having a zillion pointless apps that just reproduce website functionality with a bespoke interface. Phones can do the internet in a browser, why waste the effort building a second interface as an app. On the www does every website insist that you download and install a program before you can browse the content? So why the insistence we do this on our phone - I guess the answer is more walled gardens; on the www you might well check the price of the book you are buying whereas once you are invested by installing the Amazon app you won't bother.....

I think you best stay away from any smart phones as you have no clue how to use one properly if thats what you think apps solely do.

Oh and by the way if you do own a smart phone dont download any app just use your magical browser on your phone.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    What for though, just gaming? It's a classic example really: in the 1990s you saw people wearing VR headsets waving their arms around on TV and we were told it was the future. Fast-forward 20 years and exactly the same views of people wearing VR headsets waving their arms around. In 20 years they hadn't found a use for it. (And they make you barf.)

20 years ago the technology simply wasn't good enough for VR to work hence it failed but the current VR is completely different to what it was before as the headsets have accurate and low latency tracking combined with high resolution, high framerate displays. The end result is headsets that are responsive enough to avoid making people motion sickness and make it feel incredibly immersive.

The motion tracked controllers are also nothing like the old Wiimotes and instead precisely and quickly track the controllers which again adds to the immersion.

I was sceptical of the technology until I tried out an Occulus Rift and was just amazed at how well it worked. I promptly ordered a Vive system and never came across anyone who's tried the unit and not been blown away by it. Gaming is just one aspect of it as there's a lot of benefit for experiences, the likes of google maps and communication. There's a mountaintop experience where you can walk around at the top and I've had people pin themselves against the wall as they're worried they're going to fall.

It's possible to share your monitor screen with a group of others and sit beside them, talk to them (the headset has a mic and headphones) and see where they're looking and gesturing.

If you get the chance to try a VR setup I'd highly recommend it as it's one of the most impressive pieces of technology I've come across in a long time because it's just so different to anything else out there.

John
  • Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    .. The end result is headsets that are responsive enough to avoid making people motion sickness and make it feel incredibly immersive...

My husband has a Vive and really enjoys it - it does feel incredibly immersive...unfortunately, it gives me motion sickness even after just a minute of using it :(
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    john22 wrote: »
    I think you best stay away from any smart phones as you have no clue how to use one properly if thats what you think apps solely do.

Oh and by the way if you do own a smart phone dont download any app just use your magical browser on your phone.

I'm not really a great fan of 'apps' on a smartphone as most of them are really just 'dumbed down' versions of their website - i prefer to just use chrome and make sure i tick the 'use desktop version' for websites as mobile websites are as bad as using the app quite often
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic

In response to a very good post, you chose to post this tripe?? I don't use apps for anything I can do in a browser either - less data collection going on (if you use the right browser) and less need for gazillions of storage space on the device.

michaels points were accurate and relevant....if you've been so brainwashed that you have to "app" everything, you're just feeding the data-consuming trolls more than you should...
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 July 2018 at 11:09AM
    john22. why do you have to bite every time the word 'apple' is mentioned?

i like to keep my phone as lite as possible when it comes to apps and always look for any benefits over using a browser before installing any app. ebay for me is a good example as i prefer the desktop version over the app to search & navigate. there are a lot of others.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • System
    boliston wrote: »
    I'm not really a great fan of 'apps' on a smartphone as most of them are really just 'dumbed down' versions of their website - i prefer to just use chrome and make sure i tick the 'use desktop version' for websites as mobile websites are as bad as using the app quite often

Apps that just mirror what the website does is lazy app design.

I’d rather use the bbc website on my iPad. but then use the bbc app on my phone because of the smaller screen size and to be able to use one handed when on the move.

I do banking on my iPhone and i would rather do it through the banking app than the website on the phone. First off I do not need to log in using any of my passwords I just launch the app and I’m into my account. It’s a lot faster navigating through the app to pay for things than doing it through the website.

I use the train to travel and using the app I can check the times of trains within two taps. You can’t do that on the website

I edit images using photo editing apps which you can’t do on a website.

I play certain game apps that you can’t do on a website.

I use mapping apps to find places and give direction which you can’t do on the website

I use Instagram app to upload images and look at images. You can’t upload on the web and not as fast when browsing.

I have messaging apps which I can’t use on a website.

I use a planning and to do list app that you can’t do on a website.

I have an app to tell me what song is playing within one tap which you can’t do on the website.
  • System
    john22. why do you have to bite every time the word 'apple' is mentioned?

i like to keep my phone as lite as possible when it comes to apps and always look for any benefits over using a browser before installing any app. ebay for me is a good example as i prefer the desktop version over the app to search & navigate. there are a lot of others.

Who mentioned Apple I’m talking about apps. Please show me in my comment where I mentioned Apple. You do know that apps are on android phones too?

Also I have already commented in this thread in earlier conversations which is about tech.

Of course why would you use an app that just mirrors what a website does or is in a fact a worst experience.

95% of my interaction on my phone is through apps. Apps are also software which in the old days of computing is that floppy disc or cd that you had to pop into the machine to get a certain program to run.

Overall apps are amazing.
  • dipsomaniac
    no one has said that ALL apps are pointless
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • dipsomaniac
    Who mentioned Apple I!!!8217;m talking about apps. Please show me in my comment where I mentioned Apple.

strangely enough it was a post just above yours & the one you quoted but that could have just been coincidense
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure