New homeowner high electricity bill - advice please

Options
Hello, Thanks in advance for reading my post.

I've just bought my first apartment and I thought I had setup all my utility and council tax accounts for the new place. I've been in since December so its been about 6 months in total.

I rang up SSE to find out why I hadn't had a bill and they told me that the new account had never been setup, asked me when I had moved in and for the meter readings from then and now, and then sent me a bill for £1,073.

This seems high to me and its probably because I'm was forced onto their standard tariff, with the unhelpful custom services rep stating that he couldn't put me on a lower tariff in hindsight only for future bills, and it was my responsibility to ring them and setup the account which I've failed to do.

I do agree that I forgot to do this so its kinda my fault, but is responsibility really implied? I don't want to get out of paying the bill I just think it would be fair to use a normal lower tariff rather than the inflated standard tariff.

Do you guys agree or should I just be quiet and pay it. It would be £166 per month for a 2 bed flat (electricity only).

Thank youuu!

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tomlambert wrote: »
    Hello, Thanks in advance for reading my post.

I've just bought my first apartment and I thought I had setup all my utility and council tax accounts for the new place. I've been in since December so its been about 6 months in total.

I rang up SSE to find out why I hadn't had a bill and they told me that the new account had never been setup, asked me when I had moved in and for the meter readings from then and now, and then sent me a bill for £1,073.

This seems high to me and its probably because I'm was forced onto their standard tariff, with the unhelpful custom services rep stating that he couldn't put me on a lower tariff in hindsight only for future bills, and it was my responsibility to ring them and setup the account which I've failed to do.

I do agree that I forgot to do this so its kinda my fault, but is responsibility really implied? I don't want to get out of paying the bill I just think it would be fair to use a normal lower tariff rather than the inflated standard tariff.

Do you guys agree or should I just be quiet and pay it. It would be £166 per month for a 2 bed flat (electricity only).

Thank youuu!

Many years ago, the Government brought in Deemed Contracts to ensure that when people moved into a property they didn’t have to wait 3 weeks to go onto supply. As suppliers are not allowed to place consumers on a fixed term contract without explicit consent, then the default position is the high cost SVT. The onus was on you to contact the supplier with your details and a meter reading when you moved in. I am afraid that you may have to put this one down to experience.
  • notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    OP
    Did you take the reading when you moved in?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Irrespective of the tariff, that seems high to me in any case if it's "just you, just a flat, just 6 months".

That'd be £180/month!
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    tomlambert wrote: »

Thank you!

I agree - why not encourage customers from day 1 - they then become regulars and the business saves the cost of this "churn" as they loose existing customers and have to seek new ones.

And I have always thought that this idea of a standard tariff once a fix has finished was daft as it was inviting their customer to look elsewhere. There does seem to be a move now for suppliers to put customers once they their contract finishes onto its "best" tariff. Flow is one - there may be others.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Why don't we go back to what it was before privitisation? only one tariff.
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    r2015 wrote: »
    Why don't we go back to what it was before privitisation? only one tariff.

I assume you are drunk becuase this was never the case.
  • Carrot007
    Options
    OP
    Did you take the reading when you moved in?

Pretty much this. If you did not you are probably paying the previous tennants usage. And probably deserve to.
  • Carrot007
    Options
    Irrespective of the tariff, that seems high to me in any case if it's "just you, just a flat, just 6 months".

That'd be £180/month!

WE have no idea which months so whio knows it might be reasonable. Hot water costs a lot more on electric.
  • Carrot007
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    And I have always thought that this idea of a standard tariff once a fix has finished was daft as it was inviting their customer to look elsewhere. There does seem to be a move now for suppliers to put customers once they their contract finishes onto its "best" tariff. Flow is one - there may be others.

You do understand that the only reason any of us get cheaper tarrifs is that idiots get put onto standard tarrifs?

Putting contract enders of "best" (it is not the best BTW, but not the worst), tarrif just put the prices up for the rest of us.

How altruistist are you?
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    WE have no idea which months so whio knows it might be reasonable. Hot water costs a lot more on electric.

Yes we do "I've been in since December so its been about 6 months in total. "
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure