wifi extender advice please

Options
Hi i have done a search but there doesnt seem to be any recent threads on this.

I have poor wifi in the living rooms downstairs (the BT socket is upstairs). The furthest smart TV and SKY box would be around 20-25 metres away from the router)

Can anybody recommend a cheap wifi repeater that they know works please?

I have had a search on amazon and this one gets pretty good reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00NIUHAG6/ref=psdc_430578031_r0_B00NIUHAG6?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

or there is this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aivake-Extender-Universal-Broadband-Repeater/dp/B078Z7RQ56/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1530804459&sr=1-2&keywords=wifi+extender+booster

but do you think it will do the job?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Look at power line adapters , they use the ring main
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Or (if possible) look at running a CAT5e cable down the stairs and placing a WiFi access point at the end of it.
  • Chrishazle
    Chrishazle Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    +1 for powerline adapters - I changed to them from wireless (for our 2 PC's) about 18 months ago when I got BTTV, works well. I have the "pass through" type so the PLA is also a power point, plus my PLA's also have 2 ethernet points on each, handy for 2 PC's close together, or TV and Youview or similar box. I believe you can also get PLA's that are also wireless extenders, but have no experience of them.

Have a look on eBay - I picked up 2 as new BT 1GB PLA's for £25 delivered, Ebuyer also have good deals on them.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    +1000 for running proper cable and forgetting wifi. The sky box has an ethernet connection on the back, at least mine does, as do all of my smart TVs.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    +1000 for running proper cable and forgetting wifi. The sky box has an ethernet connection on the back, at least mine does, as do all of my smart TVs.

^^ Definitely the best option... if it's feasible. The next best would be:

DoaM wrote: »
    ...running a CAT5e cable down the stairs and placing a WiFi access point at the end of it.

That way you have better wifi coverage with no extra latency. Failing that:

Browntoa wrote: »
    Look at power line adapters , they use the ring main

If you can't use powerline adapters, then I'd look at wi-fi repeaters.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    ^^ Definitely the best option... if it's feasible. The next best would be:

That way you have better wifi coverage with no extra latency. Failing that:

If you can't use powerline adapters, then I'd look at wi-fi repeaters.

Nearly right ;-)

1. Wired.
    2. Powerline/Wired.
    3. Wired/Wifi.
    4. Powerline/Wifi.
    4. Wifi.

Wifi is a thing to use for phones and tablets, not for anything you don't have to.
  • guzzbuzz
    guzzbuzz Posts: 401 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone

I should have probably mentioned ive already gone down the powerline adapter route (sorry) its had mixed results. It worked for one living room but even then the speeds werent very good. Not sure if its poor wiring or just bad powerline adapters (i got the free from BT after i complained)

Running the cable is something ive considered but id have to go outside of the house and all the way round to the back and it just seems like alot of hassle. Going inside the house is not an option.

Plus all of that would sort out the TV's and sky boxes but it wouldnt sort out the phones, tablets and laptop. They need Wifi and the living room at the back of the house is the biggest problem.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    guzzbuzz wrote: »
    The furthest smart TV and SKY box would be around 20-25 metres away from the router)
    If you mean metres (assume there are walls too) forget repeaters/boosters.

e.g. https://www.reviewsfire.com/tech/best-powerline-adapters-2018/
    If you don't need the latest spec you can get much cheaper (but check ethernet AND wifi are supported if you need both.)
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    guzzbuzz wrote: »
    Thanks everyone

I should have probably mentioned ive already gone down the powerline adapter route (sorry) its had mixed results. It worked for one living room but even then the speeds werent very good. Not sure if its poor wiring or just bad powerline adapters (i got the free from BT after i complained)

Running the cable is something ive considered but id have to go outside of the house and all the way round to the back and it just seems like alot of hassle. Going inside the house is not an option.

Plus all of that would sort out the TV's and sky boxes but it wouldnt sort out the phones, tablets and laptop. They need Wifi and the living room at the back of the house is the biggest problem.

The best option for speed and reliability is to run an Ethernet cable to the living room to connect up the Smart TV and have a network switch to also connect a Wi-Fi access point for wireless devices.
    Even if it's a bit of a hassle it will be worth it if you want the best speeds, important if you want it to be future proof.

Powerline Adaptors are often a popular option because they are easy to install but they are slow compared to Ethernet; they don't get anywhere near the advertised speed in a normal house. They are also more likely to have connection problems.
    They can also be expensive for good ones compared to the price of a decent cable and network switch.
  • armchaireconomist
    Options
    Unless you've just had a re-wire avoid the powerline adapters. By far the best solution is to run ethernet cables to the devices directly or to a new hub. Personally i would go with a wireless extended, they're cheap, easy, quick enough in most instances and are usually 1-click connection and often have ethernet ports built in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure