IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Freehold Parking Charges

Options
Hi,

I have a studio flat which I rent out in Hampshire.

It is in a block of about 15 small flats. Leasehold with services charges and maintenance of course.

There are also parking spaces for the block but are not allocated to individual flats but you can rent these as they became available.

I have one of these spaces which i had used for many years as i lived nearby. I stopped using it for a while so sublet it to a local business (there is no rule against the subletting of this space as long as i still own a flat). I still wish to retain the space as i may need to use it again. Parking in the multistory opposite was 1250 for the year so not a massive saving, but the convenience of own space is appealing. (it is a one car reg space, not a ticket)

They used to charge £1000 a year. (£250 a quarter)

I sublet for 1200

3 months ago they decided to up it to £400 a quarter to anyone who was subletting.
The company I sublet to still wanted the space for more money so i now sublet for 1800 a year. Contract June to December.

Then today they are putting it up to £690 a quarter from September. So I will actually lose money till the end of the year.

I know its not exactly a hard luck story but I would be interested to know if this was allowed by freeholders and if there is anything i could do.

At that price the parking space would be 2.5% a year of the value of the property.

Thanks

David

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    At that price the parking space would be 2.5% a year of the value of the property.

5% was the rate used in Gordon v Elizabeth Court (Bournemouth) Ltd [2012] so you may have been selling it short which is why you've had such a good customer.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    You need to look at the terms on which you rent, do they allow such frequent increases?
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • The_Slithy_Tove
    The_Slithy_Tove Posts: 4,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need to look at the terms on which you rent, do they allow such frequent increases?
    And also check if they are allowed to charge a different rent just because you're subletting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure