Everest double glazing. Any good?

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Which magazine is independent. The publishers, the Consumers Association are independent. They produced an article on double glazing last November. Their analysis was avoid Everest. Everest scored marginally better than the worst which was Safestyle, but came behind Anglian. That is not putting any of them on a pedestal because all three were trounced by local independent companies.

Nothing new there. It is what people on this forum have been saying for years. But it is nice to get the forum view supported with formal analysis.
  • bertha
    bertha Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 September 2017 at 8:45AM
    We had 2 sets of Everest patio doors installed about 35 years ago. We have had to replace the glass as it was misting up, but the original frames are still going strong. We have thought about replacing them (thought that with modern technology new ones might be better) and tried to get some quotes from different companies, but each time were told that we should stick with the Everest ones we have, as the quality of new frames wouldn't come anywhere near our existing ones!
  • We had a bad experience with their salesman, suffered a poor installation and now, after 9 months we have Trading Standards investigation our claim for deliberate miss-selling. I would say, AVOID!
  • Nightmare. Arranged secondary glazing fitting two months ago. Got my windows painted and rooms sorted in time for fitting, booked time off work. Less than 24 hrs to go and someone left a message cancelling job. Called up and explained situation and they sent another bunch of fitters. These guys were evidently a bit fed up about the job, set up in my bed room, used my diva bed base as a work top, drilled loads of holes around and in my wooden sash frames, then realised they didn't have a specific tool. Brilliant.

Waiting for an engineer, they said, but didn't know when they would come. Asked to leave the ful frames and tools in my bedroom (I live in a one bed flat). I spoke to installations team - guy was rude, made jokes, don't know what happened between him and the installation guys but they hung up on him and passed my phone back. Told me he said to fit the windows anyway, but they wouldn't as they wouldn't open and would need taking down again to fix anyway. I called him back and he called me 'a difficult woman' when I explained I couldn't take the next day off work as well. Spent ages correcting me when I said the windows were faulty (they're not faulty, what you don't understand is that they just need X etc etc). Asked to speak to complaints team, told to write a letter that there was no phone number - there is, it's on the website.

Called complaints team, told that there might be a team coming back on Saturday but not sure what time or whether this is happening. Never called back. Not clear on what is happening and there is NO customer service team on the weekend at all. Terrible.

Update: called the number for installations on my letter. Just goes to sales team. Sales team say they don't have access to my info and installations team don't work at weekends. Said someone would call back Monday.
  • I got quotes from various companies, essentially bargain basement FG, modeling (AW&D) and top of the range. The Best - Everest. Quoted £56k reduced eventually to £16k (5 bed detached house, inc front back doors). Sample sales guy had with him was top notch. My son had done some tempo work in another window firm and recognized the quality aspects of their design and built.

Now fitted we have widespread issues ranging from window that does not close to poor (abismal) workmanship. Site is left unsafe, work incomplete.

Installation Manager has been called and
    texted but so far no luck. They asked for the money half way through. I was stupid enough to pay it all.

To be continued.
  • Furts
    I got quotes from various companies, essentially bargain basement FG, modeling (AW&D) and top of the range. The Best - Everest. Quoted £56k reduced eventually to £16k (5 bed detached house, inc front back doors). Sample sales guy had with him was top notch. My son had done some tempo work in another window firm and recognized the quality aspects of their design and built.

Now fitted we have widespread issues ranging from window that does not close to poor (abismal) workmanship. Site is left unsafe, work incomplete.

Installation Manager has been called and
    texted but so far no luck. They asked for the money half way through. I was stupid enough to pay it all.

To be continued.

The "top notch" sample had a profile made by x, sealed units by y ironmongery by z, and the factory assembling everything was b. Did you get all this with your installed windows? Was anything substituted? Do you have a lower quality than the sample - for example a cheaper profile with fewer chambers?

People can be shown samples but then what is fitted can be different- hence my questions to you.
  • i would never recommend Everest windows to anyone now.
    all of my windows and doors that were fitted in February 2018 are faulty or damaged. yet Everest still went ahead and fitted them. no one returns emails or telephone calls. they are rude and threatening when things go wrong. customer always right. . not in Everest view. have reported to watchdog, rip off Britain, and trading standards
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    all of my windows and doors that were fitted in February 2018 are faulty or damaged. yet Everest still went ahead and fitted them.

And you let them? I'm assuming that you didn't pay up front. Most of the big companies are paid on completion. Even with the credit agreements you sign to accept the job. I know this is after the horse has bolted but never pay in full whilst there are defects outstanding. What leverage do you have to bring someone back?
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • i refused to pay, and a installation manager rang me and threatened me with legal action. the first lot of fitters stopped the installation due to significant faults, but one week later after being threatened by the installation manager, they came and fitted all the faulty windows. plus a front door that wouldn't open for 5 weeks. they eventually came to rectify the front door but everything else i.e. frames and sash have heavy indentations and scratches. they ignored breach of consumer act 2015 letter. copies are held at Trading standards. still on going. nightmare !
  • Furts
    i refused to pay, and a installation manager rang me and threatened me with legal action. the first lot of fitters stopped the installation due to significant faults, but one week later after being threatened by the installation manager, they came and fitted all the faulty windows. plus a front door that wouldn't open for 5 weeks. they eventually came to rectify the front door but everything else i.e. frames and sash have heavy indentations and scratches. they ignored breach of consumer act 2015 letter. copies are held at Trading standards. still on going. nightmare !

What significant faults? Why did you allow them to return? Why didn't you ban them from your property? Why did you allow a defective door for five weeks?

Forum folks can only comment on what we see. But this sounds like a foolish consumer. You only have to look at Which magazine to see what the world has experienced with Everest. So this is in turn tells folks you did no due diligence, or you chose to wing it. Either way your decision has rebounded on you.

Then with the installation - where was your management, where was your Chartered Building Surveyor, or ideally a Clerk Of Works? It sounds like you had none here.

I cannot comment on the design, the Specification, and all aspects of quality. My intuition is all this was lacking.

Everest are a potential nightmare - as you say. All the world knows this. So why did you choose to do business with them?

I feel sorry for your situation, but to some extent you have brought matters on yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure