Jazee's Diary

Comments

• Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good thinking and planning ahead HB.

We had another treat yesterday after the paid stuff. We went for a meal. It was budgeted for and not something we do that often any more.

However other budgets are not looking so good. DH has £20 to last eight days til next pay day, I have £15 and there is £45 for food. Actually, I think it is only alcoholic DH who will struggle.

Had a look for a pair of wedding shoes yesterday and found a pair for £200. Took a photo to ponder, then found a pair I'm hoping will be the right colour courtesy of the MSE email this morning (everything £5) for £4.75. So fingers crossed.

Another £10 squirrelled to savings.

Hope anyone reading has a good day.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    You can get your shoes dyed if they're not quite right, Jazee.
    Better is good enough.
  • Jazee
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    You can get your shoes dyed if they're not quite right, Jazee.

Ooh, I'll have to look that up if they're not the right shade. Found a lovely little shop yesterday with handbags not costing the Earth too.

Another £5 saved meaning I actually saved £310 in May despite HMRC taking most of my earnings. Not quite the £1k plus of each month last year but the deal is I only have to work part time now.

Today will be dog walking and gardening.

I hope anyone reading has a great day.
  • Jazee
    Mega money spent over last few days, mostly wedding related.

I shall take a deep breath and redo the budgets tomorrow.
  • Jazee
    Pay day today and I've redone the budgets. Very tight. Sorted out car insurance for DH - £110 less than his renewal quote, so good savings there.

This month will need big spends due to wedding so think I'll have no choice but to touch our savings.
  • Honey_Bear
    But you're working again, so it's okay to dip into savings briefly as they can be topped up fairly soon. Don't feel guilty - it's not every day a DD gets married and that's exactly what savings are for.
    Better is good enough.
  • Jazee
    I know HB but after years of debt (it was £50k+) and now actually having some savings, I feel a real need just to keep savings there 'in case of emergency' or for old age (if I get there!). Fortunately DH has the same reasoning as you and keeps me in line to get my priorities right.
  • Honey_Bear
    It's tough balancing the discipline and need to save with the extravagance of spending on anything other than gruel but it's your daughter's wedding, so I think you're allowed to splash out and treat yourself. You're going to be looking at those photographs for years.
    Better is good enough.
  • Jazee
    Afternoon diary.
    MSE wise, budgets still intact. Was underspent by £16 on this week's grocery budget so squirrelled it to next year's car insurance fund.

In other news, I could just scream. I know it is only two weeks till the wedding and that is stressful for DD but she is driving me nuts. Never happy despite all the good things in her life, just me me me, I'm stressed, you don't understand mum. Never a thought for any worries I might have, like aches and pains and her alcoholic father.
    Constant bleeding texts testing my patience, and I have to go out tonight with them all for blooming father's day.
    Rant over.
  • Honey_Bear
    Bridezilla.

You know she's great when things are on an even keel, and she'll get past this and go back to being someone you like as well as love.

I'm not a fan of the ridiculous pantomimes that weddings have become, partly because the pressure it puts on the poor bride to be the perfect star of her own show for the day means that she can't possibly enjoy any of it. She's always exhausted by the time the day finally dawns, broke, permanently hungover and has fallen out with pretty much everyone who loves her because she's been behaving like a spoiled brat for weeks.

I loathe the way people who already know they're going to be in debt for years with mortgages, student loans, car loans and maxed out credit cards are encouraged, sometimes required it seems, to pour thousands and thousands of pounds into one day. It's utter madness and I have absolutely no idea why it's so fashionable.

You're not on your own experiencing the fallout from this must-have nonsense and the good news is - there's an end date in sight.

It might be worth checking that she does actually want to be married and isn't being such a brat because she's having serious doubts about that, and doesn't know how to say it. My mother picked that up on the only random phone call I made to her in the run up to my wedding (didn't happen, thank goodness) and said to me, 'You know, if you decide this isn't what you want even at the alter you can walk away from it.' I wish I'd told her then that I didn't think it was a good idea because the way it all came tumbling down was bad, but it might be worth a mention.

Sorry if I've gone too far.
    Better is good enough.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport