Guide discussion: Tax-Free Childcare

Options

Comments

• Annie_Clark
    Annie_Clark Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    tyrab79 wrote: »
    hi
    has anybody actually paid any money in yet? I am interested to know if the government funding does get paid in the same day as you pay in as I'll have to pay my childminder the same day I get paid and pay in my money.....
    thanks

In my case the govt funding appeared in the TFC account right after I put my money in the account (I used a debit card). Once you make a payment to the childcare provider, the system tells you it takes 3-5 business days for the payment to reach the childcare provider, but I'm not sure whether that is true or not, I have not asked my childminder .

Btw, my child is 9, but I believe I'm part of a trial - as I signed up to be notified of updates re the scheme, at some point HMRC sent me an invite to join. I've been using the TFC for 2+ months now and it seems like the technical glitches they had have now stopped.
  • robato
    robato Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    hmd1987 wrote: »
    I've done the above about 4 times and get the usual message of "Thank you. Your application is being considered. We'll send you a message when we know the result."

I've tried calling up several times but always get the same answer - "you are elligble for the scheme, someone will call you back in a few days"

It's just ridiculous, I have 3 year old twins who go to nursery full time at a cost of £1,400 a month..

I have the exact same problem. I applied over 6 weeks ago but have been getting the same "Thank you. Your application is being considered. We'll send you a message when we know the result." every time I log in.

I called them last week:
    1st time: They said I was already registered and eligible, so just log in and it should work. It didn't.

2nd time: Their lines were too busy, so they just cut me off.

3rd time: A rather incompetent operator who didn't really know what they were talking about, eventually escalated my application to the technical team. But there was no timeframe for resolution, there is a backlog and they won't be contacting me until they've fixed it. Not very helpful.

So 7 weeks and still not got access to TFC,
  • Andyt1981
    Andyt1981 Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    robato wrote: »
    I have the exact same problem. I applied over 6 weeks ago but have been getting the same "Thank you. Your application is being considered. We'll send you a message when we know the result." every time I log in.

I called them last week:
    1st time: They said I was already registered and eligible, so just log in and it should work. It didn't.

2nd time: Their lines were too busy, so they just cut me off.

3rd time: A rather incompetent operator who didn't really know what they were talking about, eventually escalated my application to the technical team. But there was no timeframe for resolution, there is a backlog and they won't be contacting me until they've fixed it. Not very helpful.

So 7 weeks and still not got access to TFC,

I'm in the same position - I tried to register 6 weeks ago and still nothing. I've escalated the issue to a complaint but they won't give a timescale. I've been told to keep invoices and they may be able to reimburse the money I've missed out on (£200 so far).

It's very frustrating.
  • Katy_Lu
    Katy_Lu Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi all, (forum newbie so sorry if not doing this right!) I am a Director of own limited Company and the company pays £123 towards childcare costs. Can I do the Tax Free Childcare scheme at the same time as the company contributiins? It's not a childcare voucher scheme.
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    Options
    Katy_Lu wrote: »
    Hi all, (forum newbie so sorry if not doing this right!) I am a Director of own limited Company and the company pays £123 towards childcare costs. Can I do the Tax Free Childcare scheme at the same time as the company contributiins? It's not a childcare voucher scheme.

So the employer deducts from your salary? if so then not really, when i say that, there is a transition of 3 months but you must leave the employer based one. You as the parent must get a letter from the childcare voucher provider to say when you left the employer based one as TFC require a letter of proof that you will not be receiving any more vouchers.
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • Katy_Lu
    Options
    I would need to double check with my accountant but from what I understand, the £124 (sorry not £123 as I said before) goes directly out of the business account as an expense. So from what you're saying it does need to be one or the other? I'm really not sure how to work out which would be the best option.
  • Marcwrona
    Marcwrona Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've signed up for tax free childcare however I've realised that the child tax credits and childcare vouchers I currently receive are almost as worthwhile. As my wife may have to stop working later this year can I cancel the Tax free childcare enrolment and revert back to receiving child tax credits and childcare vouchers , as if not I imagine I'd be left with nothing? I've not paid anything into the account yet and I've still not cancelled the childcare vouchers.

My main issue is how do I leave the tax free childcare scheme as there's no info about this.
  • Mupette
    Options
    http://www.giveyourselfachoice.com/

have a look at this, hopefully this will help with information.
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • Mupette
    Options
    Marcwrona wrote: »
    I've signed up for tax free childcare however I've realised that the child tax credits and childcare vouchers I currently receive are almost as worthwhile. As my wife may have to stop working later this year can I cancel the Tax free childcare enrolment and revert back to receiving child tax credits and childcare vouchers , as if not I imagine I'd be left with nothing? I've not paid anything into the account yet and I've still not cancelled the childcare vouchers.

My main issue is how do I leave the tax free childcare scheme as there's no info about this.

Best bet is to call them.

Rejoining your employers CVS has to be done before April 2018, you will not be allowed to rejoin after that date.
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • hmd1987
    hmd1987 Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    after 12 weeks I've finally got access to the tax free account. So on Saturday I sent faster payments from my bank account into the tax free account (2 children). As of now, the money still hasn't appeared?

Anyone know how long it is supposed to take?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback