The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Road Traffic Incident and Police Scotland

Comments

• k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,175
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I wouldn't reverse on to a busy main road. Personally I don't see what is childish about stopping until it is safe to move again.

I've changed that for you

There's also a difference between stopping until safe to move and creating a mexican stand off
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite

I had to stop. I couldn't move forward because he was on my side of the road and I couldn't reverse on to a busy main road. Personally I don't see what is childish about stopping until it is safe to move again.
    k3lvc wrote: »
    I've changed that for you

There's also a difference between stopping until safe to move and creating a mexican stand off

Highway code:

Rule 201

Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    Forumite
    Two vehicles met at a point where there may or may not have been space for both to pass.

Both drivers refused to reverse.
    Both decided to "take a stand", and wait for the other to give in first.
    Both made a note of the other's registration.

Right, and... one of these is the bad guy who needs reporting to the police, while the other's an innocent victim?
    <scratches head>

The pair of you need to grow up.
  • What is the point of involving the police? What do you think you are going to get out of doing it?

You had a disagreement with another driver about something which ended peacefully with nobody or nothing damaged except for snowflake feelings.

Absolute waste of police time.
  • The point is that there was an incident and I thought it was better to report it than not based on the advice from my colleagues. When I spoke with the police officer I said I didn't want to waste their time but he assured me that I wasn't. Perhaps this is not the first time this driver has been involved in an altercation.

It has been interesting reading other people's points of view and I especially like DavidF's suggestion. :happylove
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The point is that there was an incident and I thought it was better to report it than not based on the advice from my colleagues. When I spoke with the police officer I said I didn't want to waste their time but he assured me that I wasn't. Perhaps this is not the first time this driver has been involved in an altercation.

It has been interesting reading other people's points of view and I especially like DavidF's suggestion. :happylove
    Except it's a company van, so there's absolutely no evidence of who the driver is at this time.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,178
    Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Except it's a company van, so there's absolutely no evidence of who the driver is at this time.

Except it's a company van, and the company will probably have a record.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Car_54 wrote: »
    You can clearly read - so the words 'at this time' must've been comprehended?

I doubt the police constable had checked who was driving before speaking to the OP......
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    edited 5 February 2018 at 1:34PM
    When I come across a similar situation in my lorry I don't reverse either. That is because I cannot safely see what is directly behind me. You in a car can see what is behind you far easier therefore it is easier and safer for you to reverse. When the car driver bluntly refuses to I just sit there too and usually get my newspaper out to make the point.

Looking at your description it looks like you decided to turn into the lane where he was already in the point that was narrow and you should have waited until he'd passed that point to turn in. You think its wide enough for two cars to pass "if both drivers are careful" which suggests that it is quite narrow. He wasn't in a car, he was in a van with very limited visibility on his left side. His van is also wider than a car so it would make it even tighter for him.

Sorry but I'm with him. You decided there was enough room, he disagreed. He was already driving in the narrow bit, you chose to turn into the lane and create the situation. His "tearing towards you" as you describe could have been him trying to get through the narrow part quickly to save holding you up but instead of staying put on the main road where you were you chose to turn into the lane because you're either impatient or you're yet another of the countless car drivers I encounter every day who simply don't think further than the 3ft in front of them.

As he was able to get past you when you eventually decided to move a couple of feet then clearly there was nothing stopping you reversing. You deliberately chose to create the situation like most of those who post videos of their dashcams just so they have something to put on Youtube.

As for the photo or even the video he might have been taking, he can do whatever he likes with it. It was taken in a public place, its his property. He can make up a mocking montage and post a video of your stupidity on Facebook, Youtube or wherever for the whole world to see if he so chooses. You might end up in one of those UK bad drivers compilations that are on some Youtube channels. Nothing you can do.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Car_54 wrote: »

Probably? I would worry if any company didnt have hard records of who was driving their vehicles and when!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure