What's the best bank account for charities?

Options
Hi all,

What's the best bank account for charities? Also, it would be much better for us to not have to move money every single year, so info on stable ones would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Laura

Comments

• Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would go with the ones that have banks in your area, as if you need to pay money in and withdraw you want ease of access.

I have had accounts with HSBC, and Lloyds, have reapplied to open a new lloyds account for my new Guide unit opening in September and found this was easier as I could apply online and forms was sent out to me, whereas Barclays and Natwest required me to visit a branch appointment with all my signatories which would be a challenge due to having to have at least three.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    lad22 wrote: »
    Hi all,

What's the best bank account for charities? Also, it would be much better for us to not have to move money every single year, so info on stable ones would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Laura

I am the charity.
  • arthur2
    arthur2 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The money.co.uk page referenced above (#2) does not include Lloyd's. Strange.
    --
    Arthur
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    arthur2 wrote: »
    The money.co.uk page referenced above (#2) does not include Lloyd's. Strange.

Why would it? Does Lloyds have a charity friendly account not named?
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 June 2017 at 7:40AM
    Options
    I'm involved with a charity, with some 6 employees and we use unity trust. Online only, but that works for us. It is used quite a lot, try a search on this forum, but again isn't on that list.

For smaller groups, less than £50k turnover I've used a Bank of Scotland treasurers account. Changing signatories on those accounts was quite an ordeal, but apart from that they worked well. That was years ago though, I've no recent experience.
  • arthur2
    arthur2 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nebulous2 wrote: »
    Why would it? Does Lloyds have a charity friendly account not named?

Poster Westie98 (#3) mentioned yesterday that Lloyds can be easier to deal with, so it seemed odd that they would not be listed as having this type of offering.

Until last year our local branch of national charity Diabetes UK used to bank with Lloyds for many years. (We had to switch to Barclays last year to be in line with HQ).
    --
    Arthur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family