Being billed by Payforit for unrequested services

Options

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ryanr wrote: »
    Make sure to send STOP to them to ensure no further charges are applied.
    Yet another nonsense. It's not a charge for premium messages.
  • ryanr
    ryanr Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    Yet another nonsense. It's not a charge for premium messages.

Yes correct Payforit is not a premium message charge, its a direct debit to the phone bill. :j

Services running on Payforit are required to provide in an SMS the short code to which STOP can be sent, to stop the arrival of further charges. Else try to contact the customer support of the related service. A customer service phone number is usually provided in the SMS.
  • grumbler
    edited 30 August 2012 at 1:29PM
    Options
    ryanr wrote: »
    Yes correct Payforit is not a premium message charge, its a direct debit to the phone bill. :j
    And sending STOP to them (where?) will do nothing.
    Services running on Payforit are required to provide in an SMS the short code to which STOP can be sent, to stop the arrival of further charges
    What SMS? I think these charges are mainly not for SMSs.
  • ryanr
    ryanr Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    on initiating the subscription a free SMS will be delivered informing of the terms as well as a short code to send the code.
    spending reminders have to be delivered by cost-free SMS, that also include unsubscribe information.
  • grumbler
    edited 30 August 2012 at 2:44PM
    Options
    It may be the theory. Practice seems to be different. People keep complaining about charges that they have no idea about (except that it's Payforit that charge them).
  • Pino_2
    Options
    I have managed to get some money refunded from various OPTIMUS, LORDAS LTD, 77 GAMES etc from numbers 82344, 88222, 87770 and worst one is 64055 which takes £10 every 3 days!! from my 11 year olds vodafone account. Had to call and email them all separately, Vodafone first said they could not do anything but have subsequently blocked all SHORT NUMBERS from his phone. They know he is a minor, but the law is a very grey area on this subject - and much debate in government about it at the moment. 64055 is linked to all major phone networks and Payforit which was a company set up to try and stop scamming it is also linked to mobile interactive group who's parent company is Velti.com. Their email is help desk@nekoj.com or support@velti.com. All these numbers can be checked through a site phonepayplus 0800 500212.
  • c4rrots
    Options
    I was charged £10 for 2 video's i'm supposed have downloaded , called t mobile and they quashed the charges
    they also gave me an email address , iv'e contacted them today and await a reply

[EMAIL="payforit@everythingeverywhere.com"]payforit@everythingeverywhere.com[/EMAIL]

hope this helps
  • Fraggle-Rock
    Options
    Found this thread from Google having just received two rather strange texts to my mobile.

The first purported to be from Payforit (and as I gather from this thread, it's an operator sanctioned contact, so of course, there's no actual contact details)
    FreeMsg: Use code xxxxxx to verify your purchase of £xx

(suffice to say it was in double figures!)

I then received a second text message, from what appears to be a regular mobile number with the following text
    Thanks for your purchase. You will now be billed £xx Or if you would like to cancel this purchase please reply with you 4 digit pin code Thanks XXX.com
    (The poor grammar and punctuation is as it was sent in the text.)

Now, I'm wondering if this is an interesting twist on the scam.

Y attempts to use Payforit to pay for something, but uses Z's mobile number.
    Z gets a message from Payforit with an authorisation code
    Y sends a message to Z purporting to be from the seller, and suggesting that this purchase can be cancelled by sending the authorisation code.
    Z sends the authorisation code.
    Y can then use the code to authorise whatever crap they used Payforit to buy in the first place.

Not sure if this would work in practice, but seems plausible (at least to someone who doesn't know anything about Payforit i.e. me...) Having had a brief look at the Payforit consumer website, it looks like that may well work.

Either way, the Payforit text looks as though it is legit (at least in the sense that someone has triggered it somehow) but the second text is too full of errors for my liking.

I'm with Three, so will be phoning them first thing in the morning to ensure I'm not being billed for anything.

It's my own phone, passcoded, and never leaves my sight, so no one has had access to send any text messages from it. The only thing I can think of is that I've just put a couple of ads up on Gumtree minutes before I received the text and wonder if my number has been mined from there.
  • Ad71
    Options
    Hi, wonder if anyone can help/advise. Recently noticed my orange bills creeping up and after looking at bills in more depth have noticed some charges by "Payforit" for the amount of £4.50 pw. To my horror after going back as far as the charges began - they started last June (total of £131.50) to date. These charges are applied to my ipad account, that is very rarely used, and if it is used its only at home with wireless internet. I have contacted orange 3 times now, twice was directed to Payforit website and today, finally thought i was getting somewhere when a lovely lady at Orange gave me the company name "Dialogoe" with contact number 0871700221. Phoned the number - doesnt exist and cannot find the company on the internet. Starting to get frustrated with Orange as they informed me i need to contact this company to cancel charges but they cant shed any more light as to who is taking the money. I do not subscribe to anything that this can relate to and never had

Wondered if anyone else has heard of, or had dealings with this company
  • Ad71
    Options
    Ad71 wrote: »
    Hi, wonder if anyone can help/advise. Recently noticed my orange bills creeping up and after looking at bills in more depth have noticed some charges by "Payforit" for the amount of £4.50 pw. To my horror after going back as far as the charges began - they started last June (total of £131.50) to date.....]

Update to my post above. Further contact with Orange - this time a lot more helpful. Orange rep made a few phonecalls on my behalf and connected me to the actual company. Apparently some site for weekly quizzes. called 'Quiz2win' NEVER heard of them. :mad::mad:

Ive now been given contact to get in touch to discuss matter and been assured it will stop as of today. We shall see!!! Be very aware of your bills people. Lady at Orange informs me this happens a lot and these companies latch onto mobile numbers even if you haven't had dealings with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure