Tales from The Shire

Comments

• beanielou wrote: »
    All sounding good :)

Thanks Beanie. Two steps forward one step back constantly though. Just when you think you can start planning the finances again another urgent issue crops up. The joys of home ownership I suppose :)

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • The builders have left the building :j It feels so much calmer here now :) There is still work to do though:
    • the down pipes have been left draining into a temporary drain as we hadn't decided how best to deal with the rain water from the gutters. However, the ground is very wet from all the storms so we'll have to do something about this quite quickly to avoid flooding :eek:
    • the doors are being made and will need to be fitted
    • we will need to re-gravel the drive. It's a mess now and very muddy
    • Mr F wants to seal the concrete floor and lay the garage tiles we brought up with us. There won't be enough for the entire floor though so more will be needed. He'll need to do this before we can start emptying the annex
    • there is electricity to the barn (although the builders blew this) but lights and power points are needed
    • we want to half board the walls so Mr F can hang tools and put in a mezzanine so we can have some attic space.
    I've put the above in order of priority. We can do without the electrical works, boarding and mezzanine until finances allow.

I've chased the plumbers this morning as I'm still waiting for the revised quote. It will be here within the hour I'm told :cool: Then I need to get a date booked in quickly as I have guests arriving from the 25th of this month :eek:

My truck had it's MOT yesterday and passed with just one advisory. Mr F will be able to sort that out before next year. £10 cheaper than in the Garden of England :D

I met a friend for coffee whilst the MOT was being done and she came back to the house for supper. We had Prawn, Pea & Tomato Curry which was leftover from the night before. I padded it out with some broad beans and there was plenty for the three of us. For pudding, we had some of the Banoffee Ice Cream I made for Christmas that didn't get finished. I opened a bottle of white as we had company - there is no red in the house :eek: We've been a bit slow in putting an Avi0$ order in. Resolved now but what bad planning :rotfl: We've exhausted Mr F's points now so he'll have to do some more trips soon :rotfl:

I am so fed up with this weather - just when I thought it was safe to take FDawg into the field without filling the camping shower, we are pelted with snow, sleet, hail, rain and storm force winds. The fields are sodden again :( The sun is out at the moment though and it's nice to be able to look out without seeing the orange of the builders' huge digger or the blue of the P0rtal00 :rotfl:

There are chores to be done today. I need to keep on top of my cleaning plan if I'm to avoid a rush before my guests arrive. The grocery shop is due this afternoon and I have a WI planning meeting this evening. It's all glitz and glamour in the Shire :rotfl:

Have a great Wednesday folks.

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It sounds wonderful! And you're falling back in love with it again!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Glad you are builder-free. Enjoy :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Karmacat wrote: »
    It sounds wonderful! And you're falling back in love with it again!

Thank you Karma - I will love it even more when it stops raining :rotfl:
    Glad you are builder-free. Enjoy :)

Free for the moment DIA but I shall certainly enjoy the break :)

Fortune x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,262 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    At least (I hope) you have no snow.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Today has been all about me :p

Last night's storm was much worse than had been forecast and kept me awake most of the night. I was certain I heard a few roof tiles coming off but Mr F has checked and only found a little rubbish blowing around the field. It seems the house is looking after us :D I was very tired and fed up this morning though.

I had an appointment to attend in the market town late morning and had booked to have my hair cut this afternoon anyway so I just added in some extra me time :)

First was a visit to the Pet Shop to replenish FDawg's treat box. Then I dropped in to the Bookshop to pick up the latest Book Club read and bought Mr F a book on local walks which I thought would help us explore the area. I had coffee and cake in their lovely little cafe and made a start on the new book. Then off to the hairdressers followed by a trip to the £dinburgh W0ll£n Mi11 to take advantage of their 50% off sale.

I had a very lovely time :D and when I got home I found Mr F had already walked FDawg and sorted out his supper :D

I'm still feeling tired but much more cheerful now.

We have had Oven Baked Leek & Bacon Risotto for supper. Quick and easy. And I discovered there was some white wine in the fridge left over from Wednesday. I couldn't let it go off now could I :rotfl: I'm hoping Mr F might go and fetch some of the Banoffee Ice Cream soon too.

An early night is in order as more storms are forecast and I want to get a head start on them. If I can catch up on some sleep I am sure I will feel human again.

What an indulgent day :o But worth every single penny to relieve this wet, muddy, dismal January. I'm putting it under the heading 'Stay Well' :rotfl:

Fortune x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,262 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    So glad that you had a lovely you day.
    YOu deserve it :grin:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That sounds like just my kind of day. :)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • beanielou wrote: »
    At least (I hope) you have no snow.
    beanielou wrote: »
    So glad that you had a lovely you day.
    YOu deserve it :grin:

Not yet Beanie - I feel as though we've had our share this year :rotfl: We might get a little tomorrow.

Day out was very restorative - thank you.
    XSpender wrote: »
    That sounds like just my kind of day. :)

I love a little mooch around the shops XSpender - I don't even need to buy anything but it's nice if I've got a few things on the list.

Fortune x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback