Facing up and cracking on

Comments

• BBC Good Food for students sounds great thanks!
  • Nov 1st 2017

Debt £18,393.54
  • Hi everyone,

Should be going to bed really....

Debt ticking down very slowly, MBN/A are really annoying as can't seem to have a fixed payment to them, so we have it set as minimum (as it is the longest 0% card) and each month we pay a pound or two less.

Christmas shopping pretty much done present wise but I think it is the food bills that get us as we love a tasty Christmas treat :-).

OH has been very on board with the money saving for the past couple of weeks which has been great and what we spent in November was in the green (black?) by £700!! Amazing to think we have that much money spare if we work really hard. In reality this year it has been spent on new boiler and a few other house improvements. It sounds so romantic buying a house where everything needs doing but in reality it costs a fortune!

Looking forward to finishing work at the end of the week and then two weeks off. Obviously planning low spend, snuggly Christmas activities.

I'll be back with a proper total at some point, and hopefully it will be in the 17s. I wonder what it will be this time next year!
  • Happy New Year

Debt total 1st Jan £17,913.72.

Main financial aims for 2018 are:

1. This time next year have less debt than that.
    2. Major works to house.

As our debt came from moving house and maternity leave we have not added to it in nearly 18 months (with a car purchase) and before that not for ages. We'd love to continue to improve our house and if we can do this and reduce the debt at all that would be great. It is all on 0%.

We'd love to do an extension at some point so it would be nice to move forward with that. It feels like such a big unknown financially that I don't feel there's any point setting a target for a DFD at the moment.

Tomorrow is budget day where we see what we have spent in 2017! It is my first full year of writing down everything we spend so haven't got anything to compare it to.

Happy debt busting!
  • Debt total 1st Feb 2018: £17,386.56

Writing down what we spent for 2017 went really well and were so pleased to see we spent less than came in! This time last year we were always going into our overdraft and now we don't. We even finished the year with a really healthy bank balance. We were quite frugal and sensible in the run up to Christmas but I did buy quite a lot of things in the sales. It was all covered by Christmas money but it felt a bit weird as normally Christmas money goes into the general pot. It was nice to replace a couple of household items that were on their last legs! (like a leaky kettle and very old hand towels).

We've done a bit of DIY this month so don't expect the budget to be healthy so far this year! At least for the first time I will know exactly what we spent though.
  • Spending all my spare time reading diaries on here but not posting on my own!

DIY bills will all be in mid Feb and I can see what we've spent. We've gone in to our overdraft though so will be a frugal couple of months getting back to normal.

So cold today!

Going to try and set myself an ebay challenge, don't know what though.
  • DIY spends are in and bank balance is bad!! We went over what we had saved by about £5k. Considering half our house was refurbished I'm not beating myself up about it but I just want it to be gone ASAP. We were quite happily ticking along living within our means. Our debt problem is all about not saving really. All of our debt is from buying a house, buying a car and now renovating house. It's all on 0% and ticks down nicely each month. I think it's the stage we're at in our lives though. We have a family home and no intentions of moving so hopefully things will get easier and easier! (yeah right). Anyway, focusing on ebaying and other methods to bring in extra income.

Trying to decide if something like swagbucks is worth it? On the days when I work from home I can do little bits here and there and would like something more varied than surveys.
  • Payday seems so far away!! What is it with this month?!

Really enjoying the 1% challenge, it has focused my time a lot this month and I've made a few hundred pounds extra from selling and surveys.
  • The 1% challenge has given me the motivation to get extra money through overtime and selling, I have managed to pay off 10% of one of the debts in a month. I'm so excited by this, can't wait to do my next 10%. I wonder if I can keep up this level of enthusiasm for 90 more %!!

I have downloaded a debt tracker app. It doesn't really do much, just has the debts listed individually and as a total. It also gives a debt free date of July 2023 if we just pay minimums! Payed off my chunk of 10% and have got this down to June 2023. Definitely a bit of a lightbulb/inspiration moment since I downloaded this as I want to get this down!
  • I spend so much time reading diaries on here and never post on my own. I upped a DD by £10 a month and that brought the DFD down to April 2023 and then a credit card statement came through and I seem to have missed last month's so when I updated the total the DFD is now March 2023. I wish I could do it all quicker!! DH on board too but with looming extension in the next couple of years its hard to focus on being debt free when we don't know how much that will cost. We'll be looking to finance that in the next few months so looking to get the debt down before then. It's just so embarrassingly high!!!! What is wrong with us?!

1st April 2018 £20,412

So in two years it hasn't come down! This is due to buying a car and renovating half of our house.

Well with all these depressing thoughts I'm off to bed!

April to do list:
    List 30 things on eBay
    Plant all my seeds in the garden (if the weather ever gets nice!)
    Get together £390 (10% of one of the debts)
    Spend less than we earn
    Try not to think about it 24/7
    Try to be less busy (food planning really suffers)
    Exercise
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure