Sold New Item for Cash (Damaged)

Options
2»

Comments

• BargainJunky
    BargainJunky Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I were in your shoes I would call the buyers bluff. Say that as he is so unhappy with his purchase you are prepared to collect it from him and give him a full refund. Do the company you bought it from want the damaged one returning? If yes send it back to them and double check that the 'new' one is OK if it isnt ask them to collect that one and give you a refund.
  • BargainJunky
    BargainJunky Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had a thought did he actually show you a picture of the damage?
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If I were in your shoes I would call the buyers bluff. Say that as he is so unhappy with his purchase you are prepared to collect it from him and give him a full refund. Do the company you bought it from want the damaged one returning? If yes send it back to them and double check that the 'new' one is OK if it isnt ask them to collect that one and give you a refund.

Thanks.

Yes he did send a pic of the damage but it was such a large item and the damage appeared to be on the edge of one of the joints, the part where the damage was would probably have been hidden when it was built (ie underneath).

Yes the company want the damaged one back. The buyer said that the company could collect straight from him as he works from home and would be available every day for the next 2 weeks for collection but when I said I could collect, he's now saying he's not available (for me to collect).

The last message from him was asking for my availability to collect, not sure what he takes me for but I'm not falling for that one as I think as soon as I say I'm available on whatever day he'll say it doesn't suit him. So I asked the buyer to tell me his availability and that I would fit round him and have heard nothing else.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Options
    My question is how long do I have to wait for him to allow me to collect the damaged item and give him a refund or replacement.
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My question is how long do I have to wait for him to allow me to collect the damaged item and give him a refund or replacement.

If you need the damaged item then you need to wait. If you don't then don't bother.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Options
    If you need the damaged item then you need to wait. If you don't then don't bother.

Thanks for that but I need to return the damaged one at some point given that they have delivered the new one. I can't just keep it for an indefinite period.

Surely the buyer needs to allow me to collect within a certain (reasonable) timeframe.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 July 2018 at 5:28AM
    Options

Surely the buyer needs to allow me to collect within a certain (reasonable) timeframe.

The buyer needs do nothing. He paid cash. I can't see that he's kicking up a fuss to have a refund/replacement. Unless there's more to the story?

Give him one more chance to have it exchanged by you and if you can't agree a time, send the new one back. I wouldn't even be bothering with that.

Perhaps reacquaint yourself with your signature.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    edited 7 July 2018 at 7:44AM
    Options
    No definitely nothing more to the story, youve got the full picture. Thanks for your advice. Yes Ill return new one if he cant agree a time for me to collect old. I didn!!!8217;t want to be unreasonable but he!!!8217;s being a tool.
    Yes my signature does fit this situation perfectly
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure