Is this a polite rejection

Options

Comments

• Nothanks
    Nothanks Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sophia, you've said you want to move from Academia into professional employment.

In academia being a bit out there is more accepted because your work stands up for itself if it's good enough. In a professional environment your groundbreaking research can be the greatest ever but you will remain an unemployed genius without commercial knowledge, emotional maturity and interpersonal skills.

So far, you're not demonstrating any of the three in what you have brought here as far as I'm concerned as a hiring manager.

But what would I know with my non-russell group education, right?
    Union official.
    CiPD qualified.

Anything I post is solely MY OPINION. It never constitutes legal, financial or collective bargaining advice. I may tell you based on information given how I might approach an employment dispute case, but you should always seek advice from your own Union representative. If you don't have one, get one!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    2018d wrote: »
    I m moving on and look forward to the day I can say no thanks.

You will, it comes with experience.

I once had a thread in 2013 when I couldn't understand at first how a company had ghosted me, by 2015 having partaken the induction training twice round (not kidding) I no longer wanted to work for the company and could understand the 'first' Hiring Manager's stance on the whole you are not a fit! So some of us have been there. I also felt this way about a sister of a previous company I'd worked for and if you had asked me in 2016 oh boy I would have wanted nothing else but to work for the sister co! so time can be a healer.

Now get yourself on Indeed where an employer can mark your application with 'Employer not interested' in red so everyone knows where they stand. At least there you maybe replying too a better chance of at least available jobs then what you are doing at present in the kindest way.

Be careful when offering to work for free; some employers can take it as a confidence thing, that you doubt yourself or aren't really sure about job in first place so it can backfire.
  • 2018d
    2018d Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Nothanks wrote: »
    Sophia, you've said you want to move from Academia into professional employment.

In academia being a bit out there is more accepted because your work stands up for itself if it's good enough. In a professional environment your groundbreaking research can be the greatest ever but you will remain an unemployed genius without commercial knowledge, emotional maturity and interpersonal skills.

So far, you're not demonstrating any of the three in what you have brought here as far as I'm concerned as a hiring manager.

But what would I know with my non-russell group education, right?

Academic research demonstrates innovation, entrepreunerialim, insight, analytical skills, research skills, commitment, problem solving, working in teams and independently, not to mention communication skills, emotional maturity and commercial knowledge.

All reputable firms have a research and development department

Most reputable firms hire exclusively from Russell Group Universities and actively state it as an entry requirement for any applications

I actually would like to point out I was offered 2 jobs last Christmas season, which I turned down as I felt there was no career progression potential.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Academic research demonstrates innovation, entrepreunerialim, insight, analytical skills, research skills, commitment, problem solving, working in teams and independently, not to mention communication skills, emotional maturity and commercial knowledge.

Most reputable firms hire exclusively from Russell Group Universities and actively state it as an entry requirement for any applications

I actually would like to point out I was offered 2 jobs last Christmas season, which I turned down as I felt there was no career progression potential.

Now you are being utterly ridiculous.

What do you think the rest of the thousands of graduates do?
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options

Ive got to say, I appreciate constructive feedback but when words like 'crush', 'bunny boiler' and ''revolutionary research' 'stacking shelves' makes me wonder what some of the contributors do for a living themselves?

I ask this as if anyone had ever read, never mind written a research paper, it is standard practice to have an abstract, which for those ill informed is a synopsis (maybe if English is your second language, or you graduated from a non-Russell Group Uni you might want to look it up).

But then I guess trolls exist on every forum

He was politely saying no, and by his ?4th contact with you getting a bit frustrated with you.

the above quotes re research and russell groups just made me laugh out loud, I think you may need to have a think about the way you perceive and project research, work and communication. In addition if you've published research of relevance to the company it's likely the person you're contacting is already aware of it ...

(and yes I have higher degrees from a russel group uni, means very little about my "innovation, entrepreunerialim, insight, analytical skills, research skills, commitment, problem solving, working in teams and independently, not to mention communication skills, emotional maturity and commercial knowledge" , in fact looking around me the opposite to what you imply in many cases)
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A standard piece of advice in the vernacular is: "When you're in a hole, stop digging".

This comes to you courtesy of a Russell Group university graduate, some time back in the 1970s.

You've not taken on board the advice given here, and seem determined to highlight your inadequacies as a candidate for employment. You don't stop learning after leaving education so I suggest you learn from the helpful comments on this thread.

As an occasional languages teacher I am also interested in your use of language. You haven't answered the question about whether you are a native speaker of (British) English, and I'd also be interested in the answer.
  • 2018d
    edited 10 March 2018 at 9:49PM
    Options
    English is my first and only language.Not that for any reason it should even be an issue.

Funnily enough one of my 2 masters is in Public Relations (First Class ), and my work has been published in 10 national media outlets. And I secured subsequent work from those editors.

Most employers are impressed by candidates who have personality. I know this because I have previously secured lucrative contracts from high paying employers. I mentioned earlier I even turned work down over Christmas

you as 'an occasional languages teacher I am also interested in your use of language.' should have noticed my question - I have never had a rejection this 'polite', usually people are direct.

there is debate on this very thread about that,

And I again highlight, at no point was this Head under any obligation to respond back to me if he was irritated. Many corporate heads don't bother because they are too busy.
    I welcome constructive feedback, but this is now becoming collectively abusive in a personal sense and I will report any personal or insulting comments
  • 2018d
    Options
    He was politely saying no, and by his ?4th contact with you getting a bit frustrated with you.

the above quotes re research and russell groups just made me laugh out loud, I think you may need to have a think about the way you perceive and project research, work and communication. In addition if you've published research of relevance to the company it's likely the person you're contacting is already aware of it ...

(and yes I have higher degrees from a russel group uni, means very little about my "innovation, entrepreunerialim, insight, analytical skills, research skills, commitment, problem solving, working in teams and independently, not to mention communication skills, emotional maturity and commercial knowledge" , in fact looking around me the opposite to what you imply in many cases)

I can't believe anyone with such a poorly drafted message has any qualifications, but thats my opinion
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some people don't appear to want to accept help. So I won't bother.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This has to be a troll.

No one can be be quite so oblivious in real life, can they?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure