Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Comments

• tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Every time I read a blog now I'm wondering if it's you lambyr! Just read an interesting article on the mind website about different ways of dealing with depression and other mental health issues within the workplace.
  • This sums up my day:

I just bought a load of timber from Wickes on the way home from work, but forgot my straps to tie it all together, so in order to stop it all sliding off the front passenger seat onto me, I had to go back in to Wickes to buy some rope to tie it all together and a sharp knife to cut the rope. Then I realised the sharp knife was in a blister pack that could only be opened with ... a sharp knife.

Well, I've just bought one of those, but in order to use it, I need to open the packet, but to open the packet I need to have the packet already open to get to the thing that can open the packet. aarrrrgh!

I went back to the shop (third time lucky and all that) and borrowed some scissors. The person on the till had the good grace not to laugh :rotfl:
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    I did not have the good grace not to laugh :D
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've been gardening most of the afternoon in the rented front garden.

I thought that I could tidy up both hedges (there's one either side) but on chopping back some of the dead undergrowth, I found that one overgrown hedge is rooted on our side of the boundary.

I ended up chopping back to the boundary, resulting in much more greenery than I anticipated.

I filled the garden waste bin and tried to disguise two filled bin bags as domestic waste.

I was already knackered when I realised I would have to pick up the bits.

Off and out of the 'classy' blue slate chippings that cover the front yard.

I ended up crawling, squatting and crab walking across the yard carefully sorting stone from leaf material and carefully putting the green waste into the domestic compost caddy.

It was murder on my legs.

Then I went to a Personal Training session at the new gym I joined.

Squats, leg raises, the most pitiful sit ups ever and two goes at cross training.

The poor woman saw the state of me and told me to rest until she sees me again on Saturday morning.

I'm wrecked and still need to manage another 2,000 steps before I finish.

This getting fit lark is exhausting.
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It's a sign of how low your tolerance levels have dropped when you find yourself shouting at a really annoying bluebottle.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Waves_and_Smiles
    Waves_and_Smiles Posts: 5,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 23 August 2016 at 9:09PM
    Elsien, I wasn't too fond of Borderline Personality Disorder but I despise Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder. It sounds like the person gets a bit hysterical every now and then, horrid term. At least BPD took into account that it is borderline psychosis which is a very important part to be recognised when treating it and dealing with someone with it. The new term makes it sound so much less severe than it actually is.

For what it's worth I hate DID, too. Everyone here finds it really hurtful because it makes it sound like one person with a delusion (which ok, it is one person with separate parts), but it makes those with me feel diminished and as if only 'I' am vital and the bits of me that hold other memories aren't important. Multiple personalities at least gave all the bits that make me up equal standing.

Milliefleur had her surgery this afternoon and now has her hip pinned. I spoke to her nurse (the hospital is lovely and locate a specific nurse to each patient) and it will be a long road to recovery and she won't get full use of her hip back. I do think it's time for sheltered accommodation sadly for Milliefleur, because she will just never manage the stairs in her house. On the bright side, she will get far better care than she currently has with BIL.

WaSp still has a few shingles spots so can't visit quite yet, obviously walking onto an elderly people's ward with it is completely out of the question. Although he can now go out normally the ward requests that all signs are gone. He hopes to go by the weekend or early next week.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • Thinking further about Milliefleur this is really sad. Our social workers had just sorted everything out so she had visitors or was out at clubs and day centres every day of the week and she was really, really happy. It is doubtful that she will be able to return to that now because her hip will be so frail, plus she will be in hospital for a while. She is not going to want to move out of her home but there doesn't seem much of an alternative, she has very narrow stairs and will need a lot of care. Her bedroom and bathroom are both upstairs and there is no room for a stairlft so even if she had regular carers that is still a problem.

I feel really upset for her, she has always been so active and loves going out and about. Her independence is also very important to her. The nurse told me that the hospital will help arrange what she needs when she is further on in her healing and we are not to worry for now. I am worrying!
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • faerielight
    faerielight Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 23 August 2016 at 10:46PM
    I think there is a spectrum of BPD, Pyxis.. at my PD centre, people can still be members, if they have traits. I hate the name BPD, I wish they would change it to complex PTSD, I hate EUPD too,.. I think neither if the names imply the cause of the PD being childhood trauma, abuse or neglect. If they changed it to CPTSD, it would stop people misconstruing the illness as being attention seeking.

My bestie has today been turned down for any help on the nhs for her mental health.. I feel for her and I know how hard it is with the NHS being cut, to get MH support in this day and age.. in the 90's it was so much easier to get cpns and therapists. I'm going to fight her corner, she wants to get an assessment for avoidant and dependant pd, she def displays the traits, but she has seen what my diagnosis of BPD has hindered me, so she has been scared to push for a diagnosis. I don't know of other PDs like dependant and avoidant are as stigmatising as BPD, or not. .. I will take it to her MP if I have to, I'm determined to get her some help.. she is crushed by the rejection for support.
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE :)
  • elsien
    It may well be that when she's healed a bit more she moves to an interim bed either in a rehab unit or to a care home while she gathers her strength and has more OT assessment or whatever she needs.
    Even if going home is difficult don't forget that housing with care may still be an option which would give her a good balance of independence in her own flat with support and company if she needs it.
    And she may still be able to attend her clubs and centres using a wheelchair if her mobility is impaired.
    It's a huge worry but one step at a time. :)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• elsien
    I think there is a spectrum of BPD, Pyxis.. at my PD centre, people can still be members, if they have traits. I hate the name BPD, I wish they would change it to complex PTSD, I hate EUPD too,.. I think neityher if the names imply the cause of the PD being childhood trauma, abuse or neglect. If they changed it to CPTSD, it would stop people misconstruing the illness as being attention seeking.

The first time I came across the diagnosis with someone I worked with as a new and very unqualified support worker, I had no idea that the borderline bit referred to psychosis, I thought it meant she may or may not have a personality disorder. Nor did I understand what BPD meant and its impact on people and how that could manifest itself. In fact in retrospect it's a bit worrying that I was supporting someone with no training about their particular needs. Although that was a long time ago now, and I would hope that that would have changed a little now.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback