Balancing not just the budget

RosaBernicia
RosaBernicia Posts: 4,875 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
edited 19 January 2013 at 12:32AM in Debt free diaries
Well it's been more than a few months and I seem to still have more than a few questions, so I think it's time for a new thread :)

(The old one is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3629199)
Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc

Comments

• Because there are going to be quite a few changes going on this year, and I'd like for them to be positive choices rather than imposed dramas IYSWIM.

The last couple of years have been a bit hectic and messy - I got my Masters degree but only after a near meltdown after trying to combine it with work, lost my last remaining grandparent, and had to face up to a lot of uncomfortable thoughts about what I get myself into and what I really want. Though I also finally got a flat on my own and a couple of rescue moggies :). I'm now turning into one of those really annoying people who tell you that their meltdown was one of the best things that ever happened to them :rotfl:

Seriously, I learnt a lot last year. But I'm conscious that if I don't keep some things in mind then I may slip back.

The money situation didn't really make much progress last year and is just coming back under control. My next target is the overdraft and I hope to get that sorted by the end of March.

The other reason I'm posting this now is that I have a limbo situation for the next couple of days. I'm waiting on hearing back from a job I applied for, to see if I get through to the next round, and that's due on Monday. I've also just had an email telling me there will be a delay in work sorting the job I am effectively acting up to (and no of course they're not paying me to do so).

Both of these options are relevant because of course they'd increase my income and help pay off the debt that way. But I really should have learnt from last year that work is not life and I want to make sure I think properly about all the options, not just chase the obvious ones. And figure out my priorities.

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    edited 21 January 2013 at 11:37PM
    I think the first three months ought to be about looking after myself and finishing up getting organised.

Looking after myself
    • Porridge and fruit juice for breakfast
    • Drink at least 1 cup of favourite herbal tea per day
    • Keep nails glossed (I don't like polish, but gloss looks sort of finished when unglossed doesn't, so I like having that instead)
    • Use face packs regularly
    • Have a facial for my birthday

• Find an exercise class I like. A friend wants to go to salsa, there's yoga nearby, or I could think about going back to pole class (but that's expensive and needs focus, so think I might leave that til later)
    • Holiday break somewhere nice :)

Getting organised
    • Complete graduate training scheme application (note complete, not necessarily succeed at)
    • Follow up contact who is interested in helping me get my MSc thesis published
    • Scan my college files and store on disk or cloud

ONE MSE focus goal
    • Pay off overdraft, or at least get it well within interest free limit.
  • RosaBernicia
    edited 21 January 2013 at 11:48PM
    And the next three months I want to focus on more looking after myself but this time including exercise. Plus I'll add another aspect nearer the time.

Looking after myself
    • Do more exercise (it will be light enough to go walking by then).
    • This needs to include cardiovascular stuff.
    • NB. investigate finally getting a bike.
    • Decide where and when to take a Proper Two-week Holiday. (For anyone new whose jaw just dropped at this being on a goals list, I have spent the vast majority of my adult life studying as well as working, and I haven't had a fortnight's holiday away in er, well, ever actually. The last time I had two weeks when I wasn't working or studying I was still sort of at home because I was living abroad :rotfl:)

Other things
    • Investigate possible new places to live. (I moan about the South East being really expensive but I haven't actually really checked how much difference it would make if I could find a job that paid the same but in a cheaper area. So I can't really do anything about weighing up the benefits against the problems of eg. moving away from friends.)

ONE MSE goal
    • Focus on paying off most expensive credit card.
  • vasseur
    vasseur Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Happy new diary (great title btw)

*subscribes*.....
    It's not how far you fall - it's how high you bounce back.... :j
    Happiness is not a destination - it's a journey :)
  • Hi Poles, welcome :beer:
  • OK so trying to keep myself on track...

I haven't managed to knock quite so much off the OD as I'd hoped this month, only £125 rather than £150 - but that's due to having to buy cat food early (big mog keeps hoovering little mog's expensive kibble :/ ), £15 of expenses I forgot to budget for and treating myself to a meal out with friends on Saturday. I have remembered to claim my expenses though so should get £30 back in Feb.

I had forgotten that a social life costs :rotfl: may have to do some budget adjustments.

Doing really well with the breakfast thing, and must do my nails shortly - following face pack and teen-style extended shower :). Thought I was being MSE by using up a different body lotion tonight and ended up back in the shower washing it off as I had an allergic reaction to it :( not sure how that happened or how I didn't notice before, but my skin is kinda bonkers to begin with and also I think my body is still settling down after all the stress last year. Haven't really eaten properly tonight though as I left it a bit late, but will try and stick with healthy easy stuff (that's miso soup again... )

I've FINALLY set up the new printer despite the installation CD not working and having to get the drivers online :mad:. Haven't got the scanner part working yet as that needs different ones but will do that tomorrow night. Annoyingly it looks like it may not really do duplex scanning after all :mad: but at least it does have the auto doc feed so if necessary I can do odd sides then evens and maybe find a way of editing the pdfs to put them together - will still be less irritating than having to stand there and turn pages over. Also, I just remembered to check for the £30 cashback :eek: and fortunately it runs til 31st January so will get that posted tomorrow.

The graduate scheme thing was supposed to tell me today whether I got through to the next round and I haven't heard anything so still no idea where that's going. I did email my contact about the MSc thesis though, and what's more I tidied up all my MSc computer files. Took ages but now I know I've got everything in one place and ready to add scans of the paper stuff. I mainly got it ready because I have now emailed the lady who might help me with getting it published - am quite excited about this as I did pick a subject that interests me even though most people think it's a bit bonkers and totally obscure, so I'd be really pleased if it turns out to be of use to people in real life. (And I'm only not posting the subject because it would basically ID me!)

Debating going food shopping tomorrow but thinking I should try and hold off til I get paid on Friday :/ as I have enough stuff really.

Rosa xx
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!

[*]Find an exercise class I like. A friend wants to go to salsa, there's yoga nearby, or I could think about going back to pole class (but that's expensive and needs focus, so think I might leave that til later)

I definitely think you should get back to pole...but then I am biased :D Actually I found I lost my focus a bit with routines before xmas, general Dec distractions and then the xmas break it's been quite hard to get back into it. However our teacher has given us lovely little 'work' booklets listing our moves to practice at least once a session, new moves we want to aim for (and our target date) and conditioning moves to work on that will compliment our new moves. We also have a section we can fill in for moves we can already do so we don't forget to practice them too (we've got to fill that out as she said there were too many :rotfl:) Silly me opened my mouth and said I wanted to add iron-X to my list of new moves...:eek: I'll let you google that if you're not familiar :D
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• RosaBernicia
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    I definitely think you should get back to pole...but then I am biased :D Actually I found I lost my focus a bit with routines before xmas, general Dec distractions and then the xmas break it's been quite hard to get back into it. However our teacher has given us lovely little 'work' booklets listing our moves to practice at least once a session, new moves we want to aim for (and our target date) and conditioning moves to work on that will compliment our new moves. We also have a section we can fill in for moves we can already do so we don't forget to practice them too (we've got to fill that out as she said there were too many :rotfl:) Silly me opened my mouth and said I wanted to add iron-X to my list of new moves...:eek: I'll let you google that if you're not familiar :D

Have googled, am suitably scared :eek: and very impressed!

It does all look so cool but I am really not generally fit at the moment and that's just an added frustration because it does hold back what you can do on pole. And there's the problem now that I need to go home and feed moggies before going back out so it's not just on the way home any more. Hmmm.

I also do want to do the salsa class that a friend suggested as it's only 6 weeks and that should be enough to get the basics into my head ready for use at nights out. One go at the proper thing every couple of years just isn't enough and I've never found friends volunteering before (it's odd actually as I'm sure I asked the same friend, maybe there's a reason she wants to do this class!).

Think I'll do the salsa class and then see.

I suppose I could also look around at different classes - any recommendations for trainer associations etc welcome :)

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    STILL no reply from the graduate application thing. I reckon this is all to lull me into a false sense of security that I haven't got an interview, so they can spring it on me and I'll have less prep time. Am plotting to outflank them by doing some interesting-but-relevant reading :D

Budget knocked back by another £25 today as I got basic food stuff at lunchtime and petrol on the way home. Was glad I did as it was snowing when I left. It's only 2 days to payday anyhow (no, this is not the right attitude, Rosa!). Annoyed to find that credit card bill is higher than I expected as I forgot about the gown hire and photo fee for graduation... and having found out it's a bl**dy 2-hour ceremony am rather wondering if I really want to go. But have invited friends now so will just get on with it.

Have finally got the scanner to work so now I can at long last pack up the old printer and get rid of it - as well as shoving the new printer's box in the shed. Should make the place look a bit less of a tip :o

Oh and in rather good news, my landlord has sensibly declined continuing with the rip-off letting agents - turns out they were fleecing him just as much as me :mad:. So we're moving to a direct contract and this means no renewal fee, no stupid clauses about rip-off insurance and only £10 a month rent increase. :j

Right, must get bum off sofa and do some moneysaving things. Need to do electric meter reading and also email Plu5net about ending my contract - am thinking of doing one of the pay in advance ones as not having to pay CTax this month would about cover it.

Rosa xx
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Have googled, am suitably scared :eek: and very impressed!

It does all look so cool but I am really not generally fit at the moment and that's just an added frustration because it does hold back what you can do on pole. And there's the problem now that I need to go home and feed moggies before going back out so it's not just on the way home any more. Hmmm.

I also do want to do the salsa class that a friend suggested as it's only 6 weeks and that should be enough to get the basics into my head ready for use at nights out. One go at the proper thing every couple of years just isn't enough and I've never found friends volunteering before (it's odd actually as I'm sure I asked the same friend, maybe there's a reason she wants to do this class!).

Think I'll do the salsa class and then see.

I suppose I could also look around at different classes - any recommendations for trainer associations etc welcome :)

Rosa xx

Let us know how the salsa goes, I've kinda fancied it before but have two left feet when it comes to coordinated dance moves like that.

Iron-X is deff a work in progress, I've been doing boot camp for the past 9mths which has really made a diff in my strength - hate the ideas of gyms and knew I'd never progress further if I didn't do something.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport