Potential redundancy on maternity

My employer is currently undergoing a huge restructure. I’m currently on maternity leave and know that my team is currently being looked at with some already made redundant and those who have left have not been replaced, no one was brought in to cover my maternity leave either. I’m now in a position where actually redundancy is my preferred option however everywhere I look it says I need to be given an alternative role just because I’m on maternity leave! Looking for advice from anyone who has been in a similar position as if they offer an alternative and it’s not a career path I want to take I lose my redundancy payment right as well by the looks of things! Help please! Surely this is unfair!

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You can volunteer for redundancy though....
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,612 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It is not unfair! An employer is obliged to try and find alternative employment for anyone whose current role becomes redundant. Only when there is no suitable alternative does a redundancy situation occur.

If you are offered alternative employment which you would be capable of doing and the pay would be considered reasonable compared to your current wage/salary, then if you turn this down, you would effectively be resigning.

The fact that a new role may not be your chosen career path is irrelevant.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • lincroft1710
    Comms69 wrote: »
    You can volunteer for redundancy though....

Strictly speaking there is no such thing as "voluntary redundancy". Although an employee may be able to negotiate a favourable voluntary severance package. But the employer can offer less than statutory redundancy in such cases.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Comms69
    Strictly speaking there is no such thing as "voluntary redundancy". Although an employee may be able to negotiate a favourable voluntary severance package. But the employer can offer less than statutory redundancy in such cases.
    Well indeed, you offer to resign in exchange for payment.

I'd suggest if a pregnant employee volunteers; the employer would bite her hand off!
  • Comms69
    It is not unfair! An employer is obliged to try and find alternative employment for anyone whose current role becomes redundant. Only when there is no suitable alternative does a redundancy situation occur.

If you are offered alternative employment which you would be capable of doing and the pay would be considered reasonable compared to your current wage/salary, then if you turn this down, you would effectively be resigning.

The fact that a new role may not be your chosen career path is irrelevant.
    Strictly that's no the only consideration.
  • lincroft1710
    Comms69 wrote: »

I'd suggest if a pregnant employee volunteers; the employer would bite her hand off!

Not if the employer can offer suitable employment which the employee doesn't want to do and effectively resigns! Even cheaper solution!
  • Comms69
    Not if the employer can offer suitable employment which the employee doesn't want to do and effectively resigns! Even cheaper solution!
    True but she's currently on maternity, so the role will still need to be filled
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure