PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Off grid living

Comments

• DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    What's going to happen to the kids?

Please,
    won't anyone think of the kids?
    :D

Worry not. They are a rare breed, and there's already a waiting list wanting them, for homes where they will be used for conservation grazing and guard duty! They chase foxes....:D

Not that I don't love a souvlaki... But there's bu99er all meat on those, and they'd beat me in a knife fight.

Little Beelzebub is doing very well, constantly escaping from his pen, and keeping me company. Mum then moans until I poke him back!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 March 2018 at 8:14PM
    As they're a living example of 'how not to do it,' I'm reporting that the mud house couple were still in residence this afternoon. I didn't need to visit them to discover this; I just drove along the A377.

Mind you, they've stretched the council's 'out by Christmas' quite nicely, but then, which council evicts people at Christmas?

Saw goat for sale in Sainsburys Alphington a few weeks ago. It's not been regularly offered to northern consumers in the county yet, so far as I know.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Please,
    won't anyone think of the kids?
    :D

Worry not. They are a rare breed, and there's already a waiting list wanting them, for homes where they will be used for conservation grazing and guard duty! They chase foxes....:D

Well that's a pleasant surprise!
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Should be on sale - if only to order in some branches - at Sainsbury and Waitrose.

Delicious it is, too!

{... just not from my herd, where the Bagots just eat and bosh... happy times....}
  • spadoosh wrote: »
    Lmao, i know who youre talking about, ive got a fair few of his books, including one called.... 'neuro linguistic programming' (after reading through a recommended book list.) from which the quote is from. Just turns out its not the same John Seymour!!! :rotfl:

What a tool!

I bought thinking it was the same guy (im apparently a really bad fan!), ive always thought it a bit odd to go from 1 acre gardens to whats essentially a motivational speaker book i just assumed it was a sideline.

Cant stop laughing at myself.

At least the quote was apt.

Wheres the face palm smiley?!

To be honest I though the same thing from other way. John Seymour wrote linguistic books! I thought he was more into spuds and rearing pigs :rotfl:

I have his The New complete book to self-sufficiency books which is great.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 March 2018 at 11:16AM
    Good for you.

But I am sure that you can tell that in this context of the thread we are talking about self-sufficiency in terms of off-grid living and growing one's own food and living in the woods.

Not sure how your post relates to the context of the thread at all.

Self sufficiency and off grid living are two different things. I could live "off grid" with my own well, composting toilet and solar power, and work in the city every day.

Growing ones own food, well that's pretty much impossible unless you have a severely restricted diet / and you work at it full time, like a peasant in medieval times. You could grow some food but then again so can anyone.

Living in the woods? Is that necessary to deluded self sufficiency?
  • AG47
    AG47 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    No. He was one of the leading self-sufficiency 'gurus' (been dead for a few years now). He did practice what he preached. His books on the subject are good too.

Who are you talking about?
    Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future
  • System
    System Posts: 178,089 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    .... sounds too much like Railroad Alaska to me.
  • AG47
    AG47 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    There are so many land owners who want to build houses on their land but are finding it hard to get permission
    Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    AG47 wrote: »
    There are so many land owners who want to build houses on their land but are finding it hard to get permission

There are also lots of neighbours of land owners who want to build houses who don't want the houses built.

There are also lots of local authorities, utility companies, and state organisations who don't want houses built just anywhere because the infrastructure required to support those homes cannot keep pace with a scatter-gun approach to development.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport