Paypal linked to Ebay or password remembered?

How many of you have Paypal auto linked to Ebay or have your password stored when logging into paypal when purchasing?

Personally i do not store my paypal password, Ebay stays logged in but you cannot extract money from my account with that.

Paypal on the other hand can, I choose to login and type my password each time. The Paypal link your account page is annoying me now.

You get a choice to link now or maybe later. Why not NEVER EVER EVER? :)

How many of you have linked them or have their password remembered?
Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Comments

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I had it linked by accident. Then one day I collected an expensive eBay purchase and paid in cash. Following day I bought a small eBay item on my phone then discovered eBay had kept the previous item in the cart (one cart can contain multiple seller items) and I had paid for it a 2nd time! Had to beg a quick refund from the 1st items seller. So it can be risky to connect PayPal to eBay because you don't get a chance to review your payment amount for the whole cart.

What's the easy way to disconnect it, without deregistering your card from PayPal?
  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    You get a choice to link now or maybe later. Why not NEVER EVER EVER? :)
    How many of you have linked them or have their password remembered?
    I entirely agree with you. With so many hacked eBay accounts, the linkage is just another security hole. I have to click "maybe later" every time - it is annoying.
    Another thing I'd like to mention is that no one should have the same password for eBay, Paypal and/or Paypal email.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I have most of my passwords saved on Chrome but would never for PayPal. I personally think its a bit too easy to log into PayPal. They should have at least a password or code that you only give certain characters from to stop someone stealing your password.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Not just me then, im my mind its just the same as leaving your banking logged in 24/7.

You can get to my PC and buy tons of stuff on ebay using my account, but im not paying for it as well :)

Wonder if i could get anyone at paypal with a bit of common sense and ask them why there is a NOT EVER EVER button with the link or maybe later buttons.

• mrcol1000 wrote: »
    I have most of my passwords saved on Chrome but would never for PayPal. I personally think its a bit too easy to log into PayPal. They should have at least a password or code that you only give certain characters from to stop someone stealing your password.

You can set up 2-step authentication with PayPal. So when you go to log in with your password in the traditional way, they will also send a text message to your phone with a security code. If you don't input this code within a few minutes, PayPal will not allow you in.

It's far from foolproof (if someone's been inclined to hack your account passwords, there's also non-expensive programs available that would also allow them to intercept your text messages) but it's a lot stronger than inputting a password alone. Lots of other companies, certainly gaming sites like Betfair, utilise the same technique, just have to set up your account preferences.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You can set up 2-step authentication with PayPal. So when you go to log in with your password in the traditional way, they will also send a text message to your phone with a security code. If you don't input this code within a few minutes, PayPal will not allow you in.

It's far from foolproof (if someone's been inclined to hack your account passwords, there's also non-expensive programs available that would also allow them to intercept your text messages) but it's a lot stronger than inputting a password alone. Lots of other companies, certainly gaming sites like Betfair, utilise the same technique, just have to set up your account preferences.

I didn't know that. How many people do? It should be standard not an opt in.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite

Hows does that work if you auto link your paypal to ebay, so you just click buy and its bought and paid for without needing to login to paypal?

• Hows does that work if you auto link your paypal to ebay, so you just click buy and its bought and paid for without needing to login to paypal?

Not sure, I personally have never auto-linked my accounts.

I would assume though, that the password is the only bit that is auto-linked. So the code-via-sms message would still apply, if you wanted it. Just speculating though, I would recommend checking out the paypal rules & reg's.
  • kalsha
    kalsha Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't buy much from ebay - probably 2 or 3 items a year.
    I have just realised that last month when I bought something from ebay, I never had to sign into my paypal account. I distinctly remember having to sign into paypal having purchased from Ebay. When did all that change? Have I ticked a box unknowingly? Can someone please help me how to go about dis-linking Ebay and Paypal as I can't work out how to do it.
    Thanks.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    I have two different email addresses, one is for eBay the other is Paypal, they have different passwords as well. Never ever linked them.

Then a third totally different one again for friends and family.:shhh:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport