Barclaycard - Do the issues still exist?

Evening all,

I’ve had some credit issues in the last 6 years, although been very responsible for 2-3 years with no issues. Not great, but a start. I’ve a 2.5 year old CCJ and a settled default from 3 years ago. But some good credit history aside from that. I’ve a Vanquis card which I barely use with a £500 limit for 7 months, but need a larger limit for travel/car hire, though only 7% credit utilisation. I earn c.60k per year.

I thought i’d apply for a Barclaycard and though didn’t expect to be accepted, I thought I may be counter offered an Initial card.

The online application said they needed to do further checks on The platinum application (90% eligibility). Having called to ask if I can provide further information they said they had sent a counter offer by post.

Got back today and they’ve sent a credit agreement for a higher APR Platinum card.

The query now is how sure is this offer? Are they still accepting then declining applications like they used to? And what’s the basic limit for a Platinum?

Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You're very likely to get the new offer.

Limits are too variable to predict and will be based on your circumstances.
  • GM1880
    GM1880 Posts: 169 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    That's very useful if so. But, just worried about this thing that seemed to be happening a few years ago with offers subsequently being cancelled.

It appears most Platinum cards seem to be £1500+ Credit Limit which would suit it's purpose just fine. Surely it is was going to be a lower limit they'd have counter offered with a BarclayCard Initial?
  • Well my credit history is some what chequered and still have 3 ccj"s that don't drop until later this year and then one in 2018 and last in 2019.

However applied for Tesco credit card and was shocked when approved (only had sub prime cards previous) so chanced my arm for Platinum card with Barclaycard and was given £3500 limit.

So yes the APR might be higher than hoped but they seem to give fairly generous limits...i was expecting maybe £500 - £1000 so £3500 was a huge shock.
  • GM1880
    PPI Party Pooper
    Interesting, I assumed I wouldn't qualify at all for a Platinum. Don't care about the APR given I won't be accruing interest, but makes a big difference for work and also to help build up a decent credit profile.

Thanks
  • GM1880
    PPI Party Pooper
    Ok, got the email confirming my account which is encouraging. But only a £800 limit which sort of defeats the purpose of getting this card. But, still good to build up a bit of history with Barclarycard and then hopefully more likely to get an increase with them than say Vanquis.

How are Barclaycard with limit increases, presumably more open to the idea than the Sub-Prime cards?
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    GM1880 wrote: »

How are Barclaycard with limit increases, presumably more open to the idea than the Sub-Prime cards?

They throw them out like smarties, I have a Barclaycard Platinum and in the space of three years the limit went from £8500 to £18,000 uninvited . Do have an excellent credit history and never run a balance for more than a few months and then only to spread a major purchase such as a holiday over a few months
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    You say you earn 60K pa and need a higher limit for travel and car hire expenses but all you have so far is a vanquiscard with a £500 limit. Very odd. How do you currently pay for your car rentals and travel?
  • GM1880
    PPI Party Pooper
    It’s only recently that i’m travelling on my own for work. Previously i’ve been with colleagues who either have a suitable card or a company card.
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Ok, got the email confirming my account which is encouraging. But only a £800 limit which sort of defeats the purpose of getting this card. But, still good to build up a bit of history with Barclarycard and then hopefully more likely to get an increase with them than say Vanquis.

I have an initial Barclaycard which I have had for a little over 2 years - it also started at £800. It's now at £2,400 which is a bit much! They seem to offer increases every 6 months. Mine went from £800, to £1200, then £1800, now £2400.

I try and pay it off to avoid interest so the fact it's an initial doesn't bother me at all. Maybe I should ask for a different card?
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    It’s only recently that i’m travelling on my own for work. Previously i’ve been with colleagues who either have a suitable card or a company card.

I'd be suggesting to your employer that if you are travelling for work regularly that they should be providing you with a card.

I occasionally travel with work, so don't mind putting the odd meal on my card and claiming expenses. But if your expenses are such that you are now applying for a credit card - you need to talk to your boss.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure