Monarch-unable to find return flights

Options
Looking for advice. I have a flight with Easyjet flying to Portugal on 22nd Oct. Due to fly back with Monarch on 30th Oct- which is AFTER the date that the CAA are offering to fly everyone home free of charge.

I paid for the tickets on credit card and have initiated a section 75 with my credit card company so should get money back however finding return tickets is proving IMPOSSIBLE due to little availability and the fact that all airlines appear to be cashing in on the situation by tripling prices.

Paid £408 for my 4 return flights with Monarch (Faro-Birmingham) yet the cheapest tickets I have found to the closest date is £1,240. I can't afford this !!!!!!!!!

Can anyone help?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Also look for return flights - they may work out cheaper and it will give you more airport options.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LilNic wrote: »
    Looking for advice. I have a flight with Easyjet flying to Portugal on 22nd Oct. Due to fly back with Monarch on 30th Oct- which is AFTER the date that the CAA are offering to fly everyone home free of charge.

I paid for the tickets on credit card and have initiated a section 75 with my credit card company so should get money back however finding return tickets is proving IMPOSSIBLE due to little availability and the fact that all airlines appear to be cashing in on the situation by tripling prices.

Paid £408 for my 4 return flights with Monarch (Faro-Birmingham) yet the cheapest tickets I have found to the closest date is £1,240. I can't afford this !!!!!!!!!

Can anyone help?

Have you looked from other airports, Lisbon or somewhere in Spain that isn't too far such as Seville or even Malaga?
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Doesn't your travel insurance cover supplier failure?
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Train to Lisbon. Fly LIS to BHX via Brussels. £773

Or LIS to Gatwick via Madrid for £441

Lots of options if you can be flexible
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Section 75 covers consequential loss so should cover the cost of a replacement flight, rather than only refunding the original purchase price.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Simon Calder, the travel chap on the BBC News in the mornings, suggested that prices will be much higher, so look at the options of flying somewhere else and catching a train across. No idea if that's feasible... but to save £800 it's worth looking into as "the only option possible"
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doesn't your travel insurance cover supplier failure?

It wouldn't be that unusual if it didn't.

Mine doesn't, although I have added it as a separate policy for a booked long haul trip that wasn't paid for by credit card.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    It wouldn't be that unusual if it didn't.

Mine doesn't, although I have added it as a separate policy for a booked long haul trip that wasn't paid for by credit card.

But surely if someone is travelling on other than a package holiday you make sure you buy a policy that does cover? If you don't you know the risks of self insuring that side of things.

I wouldn't buy a policy that doesn't cover it because I don't book package holidays. Mine also covers airspace/airport closure and consequential loss is covered under the Travel Disruption section.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    But surely if someone is travelling on other than a package holiday you make sure you buy a policy that does cover? If you don't you know the risks of self insuring that side of things.

I wouldn't buy a policy that doesn't cover it because I don't book package holidays. Mine also covers airspace/airport closure and consequential loss is covered under the Travel Disruption section.

Out of interest, would you mind revealing who your policy is with?
    (Sorry to go off topic)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

My travel insurance is bundled in with my bank account. Oddly enough, it does cover the other risks you mention.

It isn't particularly expensive to add separately as and when required (£5 per person). If credit cards are used for payment, the risk can be minimised.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure