Lowell Portfolio 1 Limited

Morning All,

My GF and I are trying to get a mortgage sorted. Our Mortgage advisor has tried to get one and said that 4 companies have rejectus us. Looking into my Credit rating its good/excellent across Experian / Equifax / Noddle / clear score.

On my partners however it is showing an equifax of 302

On of the credit checks is from Lowell Portfolio 1 Limited showing as defaulted, now she is sure she paid this off, though it is a red mark against her file from March 2012 (when the default is showing).

Looking into them they're pretty big scammers, from a quick google. But not sure how to proceed from this interms of beginning to repair her credit score.

She has a couple of other issues like only being on the electoral register for 2 years (moved back into Mum's so we could save)
having 4 credit searches this year, though I'm not sure how much this would cause us issues.

TIA

Bowsa

Comments

• What is the balance of the default?

If it's zero, then it is paid off, but because it defaulted at some point it will remain on there for 6 years.
  • Any defaulted account stays on there for six years from default date, regardless of whether it's paid off. It should be updated to Satisfied, though, but this will still be a big red mark as it shows that a company had to wait however long before they got their money, and in this case, sold it onto a debt collection agency
  • Bowsa
    Bowsa Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 October 2017 at 2:21PM
    So at this point it is showing a balance, speaking to her further it wasn't paid off though a payment plan has been put in place..... so the balance is 300 odd.

If she pays it off now will it be 6 years from when she paid it off or 6 years from the default that it will remain on her file?

essentially is she better off paying it off sooner or will it make no odds come march next year?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Bowsa wrote: »

If she pays it off now will it be 6 years from when she paid it off or 6 years from the default that it will remain on her file?

Six years from the default date on her credit file.

Post #3# already answered that one.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    If the default is the only negative on the credit report, it may be best to postpone the mortgage until March when it'll leave their credit files.

Also, Lowell are a DCA, not a scammer. They're not the worst in their field, and will litigate at will, but generally, they buy debts in good faith.

If you're saving for a house, it may be worth offering a 40% settlement to get them out of your hair and to avoid the chance of them serving you papers for a CCJ, then wait until march because 4 hard credit searches in a short space of time will likely reduce both of your chances of a decent mortgage offer for a little while anyway.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Bowsa
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Six years from the default date on her credit file.

Post #3# already answered that one.
    Thanks for the confirmation, I wanted to be 100% certain that was the case.

StopIt wrote: »
    If the default is the only negative on the credit report, it may be best to postpone the mortgage until March when it'll leave their credit files.
    Also, Lowell are a DCA, not a scammer. They're not the worst in their field, and will litigate at will, but generally, they buy debts in good faith.

If you're saving for a house, it may be worth offering a 40% settlement to get them out of your hair and to avoid the chance of them serving you papers for a CCJ, then wait until march because 4 hard credit searches in a short space of time will likely reduce both of your chances of a decent mortgage offer for a little while anyway.

So if it isn't paid off by march does she risk a CCJ?

2 of the 4 hard searches appear to have been the mortgage advisor from last night? do they work jan - dec in terms of searches per year or is it a rolling 12 months?

thanks all
  • StopIt
    Thanks for the confirmation, I wanted to be 100% certain that was the case.

So if it isn't paid off by march does she risk a CCJ?

2 of the 4 hard searches appear to have been the mortgage advisor from last night? do they work jan - dec in terms of searches per year or is it a rolling 12 months?

thanks all

The effect of hard searches generally start to fall away completely after 6 months, but the credit rating agencies generally say a year to save their bums. It's on a rolling basis from the time of the search.

And yes, if you don't pay this debt, or deal with it any other way (Challenging it if it's not your partners for example), you are at risk of having a CCJ served upon you at any time. Not something you'd want to risk.

Find out what the debt is for. For the sake of £300, it's worth offering a settlement if it is indeed valid, and if it isn't, you challenge them and get them to remove the default from your partners file and chase whoever the debt may be for.

Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Bowsa
    edited 2 October 2017 at 3:26PM
    StopIt wrote: »
    And yes, if you don't pay this debt, or deal with it any other way (Challenging it if it's not your partners for example), you are at risk of having a CCJ served upon you at any time. Not something you'd want to risk.

Find out what the debt is for. For the sake of £300, it's worth offering a settlement if it is indeed valid, and if it isn't, you challenge them and get them to remove the default from your partners file and chase whoever the debt may be for.

I think that the debt is valid, though does she still risk a CCJ even though she is in and paying an agreed payment plan?

I've also noticed that I am now classed as a financial associate......will this bring down my credit rating?
  • StopIt
    I think that the debt is valid, though does she still risk a CCJ even though she is in and paying an agreed payment plan?

I've also noticed that I am now classed as a financial associate......will this bring down my credit rating?

No, if there's a payment plan agreed and in place, they wont be going for a CCJ.

The CRA systems work in weird ways but basically yes, if you're associated with another person on your credit files, it can affect yours. However, for a joint mortgage, that link doesn't matter as you'll both fail, or pass a credit check based on both of you for a joint application.

• Bowsa
    Thanks for everyone’s help.

One last question, if she agrees a settlement, will that look bad on her record over just paying it all?

If it does look bad, will it only look bad until March or will it begin another mark on her credit file which will stick for another 6 years?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure