Is this a Mobility Clause?

Comments

• ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 May 2018 at 3:56PM
    westv wrote: »
    I'm being TUPEd to another company. My original office isn't closing. The new company has an office close to my current company but I am being asked to move to another office they have around 30 miles outside London. The new company has offered me a travel allowance.

If I still believe the move is unreasonable am I correct in saying that I should NOT refuse the transfer as that would effectively be a resignation?
    What is the correct procedure follow if my opinion on the move is correct?

First, I am not a lawyer nor do I have any qualification to talk about this.

From my reading of your contract ""Your normal place of work will be at the Company's premises from time to time, presently located at ........."

..the phrase "from time to time" means the company's premises can move after the signing of the contract and you are still obliged to work there. If that phrase were not there, I think you would have to be treated as being made redundant if there was no longer work for you at the old premises.

As it is there then if the old premises closed then your normal base of work would be transferred to the new premises. But that hasn't happened. What they have done is acquired additional premises. You might have the option of arguing that as the premises named in the contract still operate, if there is no work for you there they have to make you redundant. I honestly couldn't tell you how this would be treated under the circumstances.

Even if there is found to be a mobility clause that enforces your movement, it still has to be reasonable. However it can take quite a lot to be unreasonable. How far away from the old premises is "30 miles outside London"

Another variable is whether there is anyone remaining in your old role at the old place? If not, and maybe even if so, I would say that your best case scenario, if you really don't want to work there, would be redundancy rather than resignation; if they don't have work for you anywhere else then they don't have it.

How long have you been working for the company? Is redundancy worth pursuing rather than just doing the job for a while and looking for another one? If your company say they will dismiss you if you refuse the transfer then they will, whether they are correct or not. You will then have to address it through the courts.

I stress all the above should be taken as uneducated opinion and not relied on.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ok thanks. 30 miles outside London is 30 miles from the current office.

It sounds like that, if redundancy isn't offered, then I might have to go to court.
    If I really wouldn't want to do that then my only option is to move to the new office and then seek new employment if needed.
  • westv wrote: »
    Ok thanks. 30 miles outside London is 30 miles from the current office.

It sounds like that, if redundancy isn't offered, then I might have to go to court.
    If I really wouldn't want to do that then my only option is to move to the new office and then seek new employment if needed.

I don't believe 30 miles is going to be regarded as unreasonable. Someone used to these sort of cases could probably tell you very easily.

If you went to court I think you'd be dependent on the idea that your mobility clause only comes into effect if the current office is closed, due to the wording. I wouldn't be massively enthusiastic about that.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mobility clauses that broad aren't enforceable anyway.

If the employer wanted to move across a long distance, it would either have to dismiss you (and get sued for unfair dismissal) or make you redundant.

See http://www.blplaw.com/expert-legal-insights/articles/mobility-clause-can-avoid-a-redundancy-situation-but-must-still-be-exercised-fairly.
  • Mobility clauses that broad aren't enforceable anyway.

If the employer wanted to move across a long distance, it would either have to dismiss you (and get sued for unfair dismissal) or make you redundant.

See http://www.blplaw.com/expert-legal-insights/articles/mobility-clause-can-avoid-a-redundancy-situation-but-must-still-be-exercised-fairly.

That says "given their travelling time would have increased by between 20 to 30 hours a week".

4 extra hours a day.

30 miles is a different thing entirely. I wouldn't dismiss it as unenforceable in that case.
  • westv
    Well currently it's:-
    Monday 3 1/2 hours there. 50 mins back
    Tues - Thurs 50 mins there/back
    Friday 50 mins there. 3 1/2 hours back

New location would be:-
    Monday 5 hours there. 90 mins back
    Tues - Thurs 90 mins there/back
    Friday 90 mins there. 5 hours back

If I moved my M-F location it would be:-
    5 hours there 5 hours back
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Do you have 2 years' continuous service with that employer?

If no, they can dismiss you at any time anyway. So either move or take another job.

If yes, then you have a decision to make. You can go with the new move. Or you can refuse. They may dismiss you, it would then be up to the Tribunal to decide whether that is an unfair dismissal. Or they may make you redundant, in which case a redundancy payment is due.

In this case it sounds like it is open to argument whether refusing to move would be unreasonable or not.
  • Your current arrangements don't seem to make sense (why be so far from the office Mon-Fri?), but they are not really relevant anyway. Where you choose to live or stay is not their problem - only how far the new location is from the old location.

It seems the current place is 40 minutes from the old one? That's unlikely to be considered unreasonable, in my opinion.

What steampowered says above sums it up well. It's at best debatable, and hardly worth worrying about unless there are large sums of money involved, which would depend on how long you have been with the company. You are not forthcoming with information like this, which makes it difficult.
  • westv
    I've been there around 5 1/2 years.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It;s some 20+ years ago but the last head office move I was involved in, we had a cut off of 50 mins excess travelling time (paid for up to 3 years - those were the days!) to be considered for redundancy. So if, say office was in central London and you commuted in from Canterbury but the move was to Milton Keynes, that would be just about considered, but if you lived in Islington you wouldn t be. If you already lived in or around Milton Keynes you were quids in.

If you decided not to move, the starting position was your contractual notice, not voluntary redundancy on enhanced terms.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure