Smart Meters

Comments

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    We've just moved in to a property that's had a smart meter fitted recently but had a meter reader pop around today, I thought the point of smart meters were to do away with that? He reckons they'll be back every 3 months as well.
    I reckon he s wrong !
    When BG put a smart meter in we may come a couple of times to check the meter is operating properly , then the next visit may be more than 5 years down the line
    . Last I heard we were leaving smart meters visits for around 7 years if they remain with the same supplier. They do not need inspecting like dumb meters
    BG/Sainsburys are the only suppliers who do 3 monthly readings and only for the ones who need it reading that often. Onliners with dumb credit meters may get a visit every 2 years
  • RandomQ
    RandomQ Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    With stupid words like "goons " and Crapita used ,I dont want to discuss anything with people like you two.
    There is no need to conjure up abusive names for this excellent company doing a great job.
    My advice, let them in to see your TV equipment every time they call, and please do not have an aerial lead anywhere near your TV if you do. There is absolutely no reason to have a TV aerial nevermind the lead. anyone who has this in position is just abusing the system in my view. Sky dishes also need a TV licence to operate in live scheduled TV broadcasts.
    Eachpenny , your Mum can get every penny refunded, and YOU know that so why bring it up ? And the word "most " covers those honest people who do not appreciate the hard working officers of Capita
    With north of 200,000 a year heading for the UK courts yearly you can see why Capita officers have a healthy mistrust of people claiming not to need a TV licence . I m not concerned at all if some people claim they can t afford the licence fee. Funny how they can afford many other luxuries .
    .Capita are working for all those honest people who stump up the £150 as well as the good old BBC

Well I am glad you do not wanr to discuss anything with people like me, I take that as a compliment considering the source.

Fact is I did not invent the words Crapita or Goons, for describing TVL, they earned those names years ago from their behaviour.

Trying to suggest they work for the people who pay is insulting as is implying those that choose not to buy the BBC (a choice the last time I looked) is disgusting.

Nice too that you assume the worst of people, there are people with old kit that have an aerial connecting that old VCR but of course you assume the worst.

Hard working? Crapita? you have got to be kidding and they are not Officers, the word Officer is reserved for people of respect who usually put their lives in harms way in the Police, Fire Ambulance and Military. Of course the behaviour of the goons may lead to someone attacking them one day, it might be fun to see on YouTube, but only if they went to far, mostly Karma will give them their just reward.

No it is Goons and that is me being nice, mostly I just think they are scum, to be able to do a job like that requires you are scum really.

If these Goons were actually Polite I might have proudly shown then my setup, it is not even CAPABLE of BBC or iPlayer, because being honest and having a soft spot for Auntie I made a decision and I stick to it. If TVL then did not come back for 3 years then I might tolerate it, but as the MSE TVL thread shows they do not respect that

Let them come in, right so as we saw on YouTube they tried to reconnect old wires that had been lying on floor in an attempt to invent evidence, of course it did not work because the person they were harassing had disconnected aerial from outside.

So many examples of TVL treachery on YouTube that your advice is a joke, from them telling lies to a Court of Law (proven) to them rummaging through someone's PC when they had no right of entry never mind of search. That is why people need to read the MSE TVL thread, so they can see the scum for what they are, commission hungry salesmen who will lie, intimidate and deceive to earn their commission. Oh and do not pretend they are not on commision, it was admitted in the undercover documentary. "get over X a week and the money really starts to kick in".

Imagine if any other company that sold you their products or services employed an army of goons harassing over 10,000 people a day, trying to gain entry with their home via deception, somehow I can't see netflix doing that. Also their multi billion spend on programming makes auntie a bit player. That is why they need to wise up and get to a subscription model but not just for UK and not just with their current programming,

It is NOT your place to tell people where they spend their money, as if it is a crime for them to spend it on a phone or whatever else just because they do not want to WASTE their money on TV Licence they do not need or want.

You are defending the undefencable. As for saying that elderly lady can get a refund how about you don't steal her momey in the first place.
  • RandomQ
    If you switch to a supplier who uses Secure Liberty smart meters, and they are very popular with small suppliers and Eon, then those meters are fine for Eco 7 .Button 6 for the readings.
    For some odd reason other suppliers don`t seem to be able to offer smart Eco 7.
    I would consult a comp site armed with a yearly kwh use with approximate night/day rate percentages to see if its better to be billed single rate or Eco 7

Thanks that was a useful post

Now can you answer me a question for my niece, she moved into a flat that had a prepayment meter from previous tenant, can she use the move to a smart meter to get a normal meter albeit smart?
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2018 at 6:09PM
    RandomQ wrote: »
    Thanks that was a useful post

Now can you answer me a question for my niece, she moved into a flat that had a prepayment meter from previous tenant, can she use the move to a smart meter to get a normal meter albeit smart?
    She can ask the current supplier for a credit meter There is no charge for the meter exchange but the suppliers will do a credit history check and refuse her if it does nt match their criteria, or she may have to lay down a bond.

Some suppliers are easier than others with EDF having the best record for allowing meter switches Does nt matter if its a smart or dumb meter, but she needs to get a credit meter to get the best rates possible in her area.
    Prepayment meters are now on a slightly cheaper tariff than the suppliers normal standard variable tariff but the rates are still poor compared to a fixed yearly tariff with a credit meter
    You could run some figures through a comparison website such as UKpower to see how much she can save. Use UK average consumption just to get an idea of the difference (3000kwhs electric and 13000kwhs gas ) .
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    A £111 penalty if you refuse a smart meter: British Gas, EDF and First Utility reserve best deals for customers with the digital gadgets

Suppliers use smart meter-only tariffs to push customers into changing meters
    Government wants smart meters in all UK homes and businesses by end of 2020
    Suppliers face fines of up to £7billion if they fail to install enough of the devices
    Customers can refuse the technology and suppliers are becoming desperate

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-5653137/A-111-penalty-refuse-smart-meter.html#ixzz5DilFFio3
  • RandomQ
    You forgot to add that it is an EU directive in the first place!

Also forgot the health warnings frome EU and Canadian studies.

I am not really surprised, the energy companies have us al by the short and curlies

Marktet is completely dysfunctional

OFGEM is pathetic, useless and does not protect consumer

As others have said, grab your ankles
  • Hello,

Since I switched supplies I have an issue reading my Gas Meter. My new supplier does not offer Smart Metering yet. My new "smart" meter has been installed in such away that the screen cannot be seen. To read the meter I have to hang an Smart Phone upside down and video the screen whilst I fumble around trying to find the correct button to press. This can take an age. Who can I speak to to get them to re-position my meter so it is readable?

Many thanks
    Chris
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    cmevans100 wrote: »
    Hello,

Since I switched supplies I have an issue reading my Gas Meter. My new supplier does not offer Smart Metering yet. My new "smart" meter has been installed in such away that the screen cannot be seen. To read the meter I have to hang an Smart Phone upside down and video the screen whilst I fumble around trying to find the correct button to press. This can take an age. Who can I speak to to get them to re-position my meter so it is readable?

Many thanks
    Chris

Welcome to the forum. You need to speak to your present supplier as - smart or not - it is responsible for the oversight of your meter. You may have to pay to get it moved.
  • RandomQ
    edited 26 April 2018 at 9:57PM
    Good Luck with that, they have got target of 53 million meters to install, done less than 10 million to date and two years to get remaining done, do the math, you are not going to be a priority.

But why should you be inconvenienced, simply refuse to give readings as the meter is inaccessible, they will then have to send someone out or get their act together with pulling the data.

I imagine they will only change it if a fault develops, best chance of a different meter being installed if it was faulty is to change supplier first.
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    RandomQ wrote: »

Applying a large DC voltage might fry it but I am not recommending that of course!!

What a ridiculous thing to suggest, what if someone applies some voltage to a smart gas meter. You should think before you type.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback