My New Frugal Life

Options

Comments

• smallholdingsister
    Options
    My experience of being on maternity leave (the only time I've been a SAHM) is the more you do, the more you want to do, so its good to keep up the momentum from when you were working.

Super good luck!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    A new part to your journey.
    Enjoy & book that trip to your GP.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Newfrugallife
    Options
    Meal planning ��

Just been for a biggish shop and want to write down all our dinners and prices!
    From Monday I’m starting the £10 a weekday shop with enough bought to cover the weekends. I’m aiming for this to be all in, so any toiletries, washing powder, cat food everything!

You might notice a lack of vegetables, unfortunately my kids and husband are very very fussy, I know it’s not healthy :( but after years of fighting I gave up.
    When the oldest was younger (she is the worst) we took her to a nutritionist with the exact honest diary of things she was eating and they actually said it wasnt too bad. Her hair is gorgeous and glossy, she is a healthy weight etc so I’m more relaxed and believe she gets everything she needs from the food as even pizza etc has tomatoes and so on. But just wanted to explain the limited diet. My youngest is actually a lot better and eats more variety, but because of this we mainly get frozen veg.
    Also my father in law brings us fruit every Sunday so that’s not included in the shop either.

Ok here goes:

Chicken curry - chicken breast 3.25; rice 1.68; naan breads 0.96; popadoms 0.85; tikka curry sauce 0.65; mango chutney 0.95 (this will last for next one as well). Total - 8.34

Sausage and mash - sausages 1.89; potatoes 1.19 (does 2 meals so 0.60); gravy 0.85 (this will last for awhile and does other meals). Total 3.34 this includes gravy but I won’t count it in other meals. Also will add a side of frozen veg which we already have.

Roast dinner - spatchcock chicken 3.79; roast charlotte potatoes 0.95; roast onions 1.39 (will do more than one meal) frozen veg/ yourkshires/ gravy/ hash browns already have. Total 6.13

Fish dinner - frozen cod fillets 2 packs @2.99 each 5.98 (usually cook both packs and then have leftover for lunch or whatever); rest of the potatoes already accounted for. Frozen veg already have. Had to buy eggs 0.79 (I use one egg and flower to create a light batter and fry) and oil 1.05 which will last for other meals. Total 7.82

Bacon butties - bacon 1.79; will use eggs and bread 1.00. Bread will be used for pack lunch sandwiches. Total 2.79

This is all very rough costings as most things stretch to other meals and I have bits in the freezer and cupboards. We also bought cereal, milk, ham, grated cheese, crisps, softener, cat food, drinks. So are well stocked up. From Monday I will keep on top of the miscellaneous bits and buy as needed. There are enough meals to last until Monday and possibly extra, will let you know how it goes!

All bought from Aldi
  • Newfrugallife
    Options
    Just wanted to add that weekday lunches will be ham/ cheese sandwiches; crisps; apple; little chocs for kids packed lunch. Then on Saturday Sunday - grilled cheese sandwiches, pasta.
    Breakfasts cereal/ toast
    Drinks we currently have plenty and all miscellaneous bits I’m stocked up on well into next week :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Loving the thread and good luck in your new venture.

Just a quickie to help with the meal planning / budgets, I notice a heavy empahsis on meat which is pricey. When I swapped to two veggie meals per week it makes a difference and opened my eyes as to how tasty veggie cooking can be.
  • Newfrugallife
    Options
    I have a smaller to do list for the half term:

Research colleges for kid 1
    Read the motivational books I bought but haven’t had time to start on
    Trip to Tate modern
    Kid 2 friend coming for a sleepover
    Visit friend and new baby
    Added on 2 more friends to play for kid 2 :)
  • Newfrugallife
    Options
    Right I’m starting on my big list and just added on something to my little list :)

First thing first I need to sort the bathroom, give it a really thorough clean, windows, inside cupboard etc.....
    Also I will clean the rest of the house as normal and then will start the deeper clean room by room. And I will be getting rid of a lot of stuff as I go, inspired by kon Marie method, I really want to let go of a lot of bad energy etc
    For me time, I’m finally dying my hair (had the box of colour for ages) and starting on the books.
    Then tomorrow, it’s not really MSE but I’m getting my hair cut, I have been cutting my own hair for awhile but messed it up a little. It’s going to be at home so at least not salon prices!
    The next week we will wing it a little budget wise, but from next pay day I will be writing daily accounts and how much left in each category etc..
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just found your dairy and wanted to wish you luck with your new journey. I was also a SAHM when I started here in 2010 and dh was not in a great wage, I'm still pretty part time though to be honest :D it gives you plenty of time to make savings you otherwise might struggle with.

In the past I've been more frugal to try and create a surplus to op the mortgage with - making gloop to wash clothes with for example, baking bread, making everything from scratch food wise, surveys, bank switching. Frugal blogs are a great resource, some can be a bit preachy but there are often good tips. A few suggestions are:

Frugal queen

Jack monroe

Mortgage free in three (not currently posting , but a really great blog and worth reading back through.)

Mr money mustache

Anyway, I hope I haven't stated the obvious as if you have cleared debts then you probably knoŵ all of this :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Newfrugallife
    Options
    Thank you so much I really appreciate all the commments so far :)
  • Newfrugallife
    Options
    I have a smaller to do list for the half term:

Research colleges for kid 1
    Read the motivational books I bought but haven’t had time to start on
    Trip to Tate modern
    Kid 2 friend coming for a sleepover
    Visit friend and new baby
    Added on 2 more friends to play for kid 2 :)

Need to add we are dog sitting on Wednesday for a little token cash! I always loved dogs (and most other animals), we had 2 when I was growing up but never managed to own one as an adult due to work and other commitments. So..... my friend suggested I look into dog sitting/ walking and short boarding while I’m at home and we having our first furry visitor coming next week! Me and the kids are super excited :) I have decided any “dog money” will be going straight into the family entertainment category :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure