PS4 faulty two weeks out of 1 year warranty.

Well my PS4 disc drive won't play blu ray or games but will regular dvds.

I have spoke to Sony as it was registered early July last year, its 1 year warranty is up. They can fix it but it will cost me £120.

Anyone any suggestions?

I have never had a laser fail on an item so quickly. It is not my main console either so the drive has seen little use in the year I have had it!

Comments

• jessex1990
    jessex1990 Posts: 137 Forumite
    alan17 wrote: »

I have spoke to Sony as it was registered early July last year, its 1 year warranty is up. They can fix it but it will cost me £120.

Anyone any suggestions?

I have never had a laser fail on an item so quickly. It is not my main console either so the drive has seen little use in the year I have had it!

Try looking around at other repair companies they can often do just as good job and quicker than Sony too. I've heard good things about 'console-wizard' and 'console-werks' no personal experience though.
  • duggan1
    duggan1 Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

Anyone any suggestions?

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

Try using that.
  • alan17
    alan17 Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    duggan1 wrote: »

Do you suggest using that to take it back to where I bought it?
    Sainsburys to be precise, I have the receipt.

I am aware of the 2 year eu rule but Sony were very adamant they have 1 year only warranty.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Do you suggest using that to take it back to where I bought it?
    Sainsburys to be precise, I have the receipt.

I am aware of the 2 year eu rule but Sony were very adamant they have 1 year only warranty.

No harm in giving it a try, the worse they will say is "no cant help you" or words to that effect.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The 2 year eu warranty isn't a warranty like a manufacturers warranty. What it does is set a minimum period where you have a legal warranty, a cause of action, against the retailer should the goods fail to conform to contract.

However from the same directive, it is only where the goods fail to conform within the first 6 months that the lack of conformity is assumed to be inherent (and its for the trader to prove otherwise). Other than that, its up to you to prove that the goods fail to conform to contract (ie its failed due to shoddy components, inadequate soldering, a design flaw etc).

The latter was transposed into UK law directly. The former, was not. But the reason for that is because UK law already allowed a period of 6 years from purchase in england & wales and 5 years from discovery in scotland.

OP try approaching sainsburys first and see what they say. If they're not helpful (& its over 6 months which it is) we'd usually advise getting an independent report to prove the faults inherent - the cost of which would be borne by the retailer if it finds in your favour. So perhaps if your ps4 is in pristine condition, try the tact that as its obviously been looked after, no physical damage, no signs of spillages on it etc that its very likely an inherent fault. So it would perhaps be beneficial to them to have someone look at it more cheaply rather than be liable for the cost of the independent report.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • I best option is to go to a store buy the portable Harddisk in which you can easily be stored the games. I used this method because it helps me not to store the DVDs...
  • alan17
    UnholyAngel

Thanks for the long and detailed post, I will more than likely try the sainsburys route first.

I think the most frustrating thing about it, is it has hardly been used. This is not my main console, I use my xbox as a blu ray player and my pc for most big games. The PS4 is for ps4 exclusives, some I have digitally that do not use the drive, so the drive usage is really low.

I suspect the drive has been faulty since I got it, it has always been very loud, much louder than friends with launch ps4s. Had it been used as my main console, I doubt it would have survived 2 months! Wish I had taken it back when my friends said it was much louder than theirs to be honest.

MichaelJones
    I would replace the internal hdd before using an external anyway, the annoying thing is I have 3 unplayed games that are disc based that I now cannot use, obviously I plan to sell them if I cannot get it fixed. Also once these games were played I was going to use it to replace my blu ray player upstairs (ironically a sony model that only lasted 2 years!)
  • alan17
    Just an update,

I now have a new PS4 slim, sainsbury's agreed to swap it, they had no regular ps4s in stock so I got a slim. Both their in store and telephone service was excellent!
  • Emma851
    Emma851 Posts: 20 Forumite
    I remember when I bought my PS1 back in 1995. Had to turn it upside down to make it work. That's why i buy Xbox now:)
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just an update,

I now have a new PS4 slim, sainsbury's agreed to swap it, they had no regular ps4s in stock so I got a slim. Both their in store and telephone service was excellent!

Always nice to hear of retailers who don't try every excuse under the sun to get out of their obligations! Well done.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure